Velvet Horn Damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Velvet Horn Damage

Seems that this deer injured his G2 about a week ago. Question is, Will it keep growing? Haven't seen this before.
    Attached Files

The ones I had typically didnt grow much more at the point of the injury. In other words I dont think that point is going to continue growing downward. It will be interesting to see what others have to say about their experiences.

Comment

I bet it stops growing. We had several like that a few years ago. None of theirs got very long.

Comment

My experience is they usually fall off at the break or injury..

Comment

I had a big 8 do that but he broke it off completely. I will see if the old point of break will continue to grow or not

Comment

From my experience they usually will fall off at the injury

Comment

I was hoping that it would just fall off, so nobody would kill him thinking it's a drop. I'm pretty sure this deer was actually a decent 10 point last year around 135 at 3 or 4 years old.

Comment

Seen it quite a bit. I have seen them fill up with blood looking like a club or bat and then break off. If it is not full of blood already I doubt it will fill up. Seen them stay broken or bent over like that and keep growing a bit. Most likely will break off when he rubs out or in the rut if it does the latter. I have also seen them kick a point off at the break that will grow upwards.

Comment

I had a real young buck that injured his rack last year. It didn't grow much more but never fell off. I'm anxious to see what he does this year with the split beam on the right side.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I think that since you are feeding double down...it should grow to the ground

Comment

Originally posted by RINCON View Post
                      I think that since you are feeding double down...it should grow to the ground
                      Yep, they should of named it Double Down to the ground!!

Comment

All in fun...on serious note do hope your deer/horns are looking good!...

How is that redneck/hillbilly doing that thinks he is a biologist?

Comment

All depends on how it is broken. If it only broke "internally", it will probably just stay there until he sheds. I've seen them break and tear the velvet and they usually get all nasty and the piece will fall off. They can also get a blood infection from busted velvet and die from it. And they are antlers, not horns....

Comment

Why correct horns vs antlers? Were you confused on what he was referencing? Of course not, so why even mention it?

Comment

Over the years, I've seen dozens of these type injuries. I've seen them fall off still in velvet and hang on through hardening, only to break off at some point in the early season (rubbing and fighting).

Comment

Working...
                              X