Deer Ecology 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
    In reference to food preference, WTD have been shown to eat, I believe, over 300 different trees, shrubs, forbs and grasses. They are selective at times depending on season and availability. Some foods they eat are more desired such as hackberry, cedar elm and sumac. These are commonly referred to as "ice cream" plants. Easy to get, taste good, but not a lot of nutrition in them as compared to most forbs, legumes and other brush.

Oaks are typically utilized for mast (acorns) production and not leaf browsing. Yes, they do eat them, but many other plants are higher preferred. Oaks can have high concentrations of tannins in them. That can be good and bad. Too much can cause sickness and even death. Just enough has been proven to be almost like a natural wormer/insecticide.
    I've got a thicket full of cedar elm, would this be a good tree to hinge cut? What trees are best to hinge cut?

Comment

In my experience of pen raised deer, MOST years it is a pretty close 50/50 split on sex ratio of fawns. Fawn survival is another story though....
      Care to explain a little more?

Comment

Awesome thread, but I found it too early.... got to post #62 and I want to keep reading. Keep the great info coming guys!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Following

Comment

Originally posted by Poncho View Post
            I've got a thicket full of cedar elm, would this be a good tree to hinge cut? What trees are best to hinge cut?
            Depends on your situation, but generally - no.
            Half cutting is commonly a technique for providing cover from cut branches hanging to the ground (usually for quail). If your wanting to increase quality browse, you'll have much better impact through appropriate livestock stocking rate, deer population mgt (doe harvest), and soil disturbance (if needed).

Comment

Originally posted by mooch View Post
              Care to explain a little more?
              I was referring to the fact that although fawns are typically born in an even split, survival rates are usually only .75% per adult doe. That means that typically each doe on average only has 1 or less of its two fawns born actually survive to adulthood.

Comment

Yes, I would never hinge cut anything other than a mesquite or cedar for quail cover.

Comment

Great thread!!!

Comment

Great info

Comment

I'll tell you my experience with hinge cutting. I have hinge cut cedar elm, mesquite, honey locust, and hackberry....and the deer will eat the heck out of all of the shoots. You will be amazed at how many shoots come up and grow vertically from one little horizontal trunk. Its a great way for a deer to reach those young shoots they would normally never have access to.

The other added benefit is that you can make outstanding bedding cover for deer....and they will bed in it readily. The area I hinge cut has been a consistent bedding area for a couple years now and I set my stands accordingly. You can even direct the deer to go where you want them too by hinge cutting trees a certain direction...providing the only route for a deer to travel. Lots of good info on the QDMA site on TSI (timber stand improvement).

Its alot of hard work though and it can even be a little dangerous.....wear a hard hat.

Comment

Great thread guys.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                          I'll tell you my experience with hinge cutting. I have hinge cut cedar elm, mesquite, honey locust, and hackberry....and the deer will eat the heck out of all of the shoots. You will be amazed at how many shoots come up and grow vertically from one little horizontal trunk. Its a great way for a deer to reach those young shoots they would normally never have access to.

The other added benefit is that you can make outstanding bedding cover for deer....and they will bed in it readily. The area I hinge cut has been a consistent bedding area for a couple years now and I set my stands accordingly. You can even direct the deer to go where you want them too by hinge cutting trees a certain direction...providing the only route for a deer to travel. Lots of good info on the QDMA site on TSI (timber stand improvement).

Its alot of hard work though and it can even be a little dangerous.....wear a hard hat.
                          Thanks Unclefish. That's exactly what i have always read and been taught about hinge cutting, which is why I asked if the Cedar Elm was a good tree to cut. I was surprised by the op's response.

Comment

Yes, I would never hinge cut anything other than a mesquite or cedar for quail cover.
                            Why are you against hinge cutting for deer?

Comment

In

Comment

Most times when people hinge cut, they cut too far and it ends up killing the branches. Just mostly seen it done in mesquite for quail

Comment

Working...
                                X