No announcement yet.

Pistol recommendation for wife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine started with a S&W 642 but the harsh bark and recoil just made the gun miserable for her to shoot. She switched to a Sig 226/9mm and never looked back.

Comment

Desert Eagle .50. Easily concealable and a breeze to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie11 View Post
        How is the recoil on the 442?
        Very manageable...get down to the shop and grip one. The ergonomics on this small gun are great. This gun also tends to hold it's value better than the other brands that are similar. Find one without the lawyer lock. If you are like me you will throw this one in your pocket for quick errands vs scabbard and belt. Just put it back from where you borrowed it.

I would have her practice with the mild 38spl & load it with the +P

Comment

Originally posted by DaveS903 View Post
          Mine started with a S&W 642 but the harsh bark and recoil just made the gun miserable for her to shoot. She switched to a Sig 226/9mm and never looked back.
          My wife has no issues even wth the hot loads...still, no lightweight snub's are fun to practice. Belly guns with no sights get kinda blah quick imo.

Comment

I let my wife choose and she preferred a revolver. A lot more can go wrong with SA, if you want her to have one, make sure she is confident with it. I could never conceal my revolver, but carrying a purse I could.

Comment

Find a range that rents guns. Let her try a variety of pistols. Champions in Bryan has this at their indoor range.

Comment

My wife is also a teacher. We bought the PT 111 from Taurus. She wasn't comfortable handling a gun that didn't have a safety. She now knows all she has to do is take it off safety and pull till she hears a click. You can buy two of those guns for the price of one Glock. One always stays beside the bed and the other in her car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Got my wife a Glock 19 9mm. While it may be bigger than most sub compacts, it does have 17 rounds..... can fit in her purse when she carries!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
                    My wife is also a teacher. We bought the PT 111 from Taurus. She wasn't comfortable handling a gun that didn't have a safety. She now knows all she has to do is take it off safety and pull till she hears a click. You can buy two of those guns for the price of one Glock. One always stays beside the bed and the other in her car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Not to start a war but I have a few opinions on this.

1. As a carry/protection gun cost shouldn't be a driving factor.
                    2. My brother bought 2 of these one for him one for his GF one shoots pretty good, on the other hand one jams and has failure to feed or stove pipes very often. Last time we shot together using same ammo his gun Malfunctioned at least 4-6 times on 1 magazine as my glock 19 chewed up any ammo I fed it.

In my opinion you should get a very proven gun for a defense gun. Just my .02

Comment

Mine carries a S&W 637 airweight and loves it.

Comment

A ruger lc9s Tiffany blue frame with stainless slide in 9mm

Comment

She can shoot through her purse with a hammerless revolver. If she is uncomfortable somewhere she can have her hand on her gun in her purse and shoot through it if she doesn't have time to draw. She could do this with a semi auto, but it likely wouldn't load the next round. With that said, my wife carries a Kahr, and I carry a revolver with a grip clip............go figure.

Comment

S&W Bodyguard .380

Comment

I'm late to the party here, but my wife is another small framed woman and she carries the LCP .380 has an extra mag loaded on here as well. In my opinion it takes just a little practice to become efficient with the mechanism of an auto and it's quick to dump a magazine and slap another in.
                              I carried the LCR for a little bit, but found it difficult to keep accurate with, beyond a very personal distance. I should say I am no pistol shooter and need to most likely get better. My wife does not like the heavier trigger of the LCR or any other revolver. A hammer is to slow to draw back and the pull through is heavy.
                              Last thought here is that the 38spcl is not a more powereful round, then a hot 9mm. My Kahr is smoother shooting and holds more rounds than a revolver.

Comment

There's always my Daughter's big ol Hebrew bear gun in 44 Mag.

I keep pushing her to get the 50 barrel also.

Comment

Working...
                                X