Manufactured home quality advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manufactured home quality advice please

We will be demolishing our Harvey damaged home and are thinking about replacing it with a double wide manufactured home but would love to get some advice from people with experiences, good or bad. We are looking at some custom higher end models (around 100k) and was wondering if they really are made all that much better now. If you have one of these how well do you like it and has it held up over the years?

They are made much better than 20 years ago but...will cost you more to insure, very bad resale value, no appreciation like a stick built house.

Comment

Flywise is right. Your options for insuring are small and they really don't appreciate in value. One thing to maybe consider in your purchase is on heating and a/c. Most mobile homes have the registers in the floor and duct work runs underneath. My mother lives in one that replaced the one they lost when Hurricane Rita dropped an oak tree on the one they had been living in. The duct work is above the ceiling and the registers are in the ceiling. In the winter my mother stays cold because, as we all know, heat rises so the lower halves of the rooms are colder because the heat stays up towards the ceiling unless you crank the thermostat way up. Just an FYI.

Comment

Also, do your due diligence on the manufacturer. My mom and stepdad bought there double wide from a company that is no longer in business so they have no recourse to address issues.

Comment

I have a 2600 sq ft Solitaire. Have lived in it for 6 years now. 0 complaints, extremely energy efficient, very well built. I priced a site built home and it was more than double the cost so I used the savings to purchase land. The house will depreciate but the land will appreciate.according to my math I got a great deal.

Comment

Put it on beams or a slab. you'll never get your money back out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
              Flywise is right. Your options for insuring are small and they really don't appreciate in value. One thing to maybe consider in your purchase is on heating and a/c. Most mobile homes have the registers in the floor and duct work runs underneath. My mother lives in one that replaced the one they lost when Hurricane Rita dropped an oak tree on the one they had been living in. The duct work is above the ceiling and the registers are in the ceiling. In the winter my mother stays cold because, as we all know, heat rises so the lower halves of the rooms are colder because the heat stays up towards the ceiling unless you crank the thermostat way up. Just an FYI.
              The cheaper ones have the vents in the floor but the higher priced ones are in the ceiling or you can get it as an upgrade. To me it's similar to a real house with vents being up high.

Comment

Look at Solitaire double wide's. They are one of the best build that i know of.
                You won't find them advertising any where. We had had a single wide and now
                have a double wide. For the price they are very nice. The sales lots are operated by the company .There's is good points and bad points. We have one that is about 1550 sq ft
                Air vents in ceiling with no problems. It is all sheet rock and has 6 in out sides walls.
                We don't keep our house real cold in summer around 78 and our bill is about 150 dollars in summer

Comment

don't do it unless you don't care about your money

They depreciate and never end up looking close to as nice as you bought it.

Save and buy a house

Comment

Do you own the land it will be sitting on?

Comment

Originally posted by JHT View Post
                      Do you own the land it will be sitting on?
                      Yes we do.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                        don't do it unless you don't care about your money

They depreciate and never end up looking close to as nice as you bought it.

Save and buy a house
                        Probably doesnt have time to save due to his house was damaged in harvey and they are demolishing it....

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
                          Yes we do.

How extensive was the Harvey damage to your house?

Comment

My brother in law purchased a Palm Harbor a few months ago, it ended up costing 90k at the end but was not able to get everything he wanted (since you have to pick from their list of color, finishes, etc) . The house was delivered over a month ago and they have yet to even start the finish out. My bil says that once they got his money the customer service has been horrible.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

The ranch I hunt in Wyoming bought some manufactured homes and put them on concrete piers. They were nicer than what you normally see in Texas. Texas they deliver them on 3-4 axles. These had 10-12 axles. Very well built. DOnt look for the value to go up but they can still be a nice home.

Comment

Working...
                              X