No announcement yet.

Militarized police

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daniel and/or Tvc184, how do you think your department, your chief, your fellow officers would respond to "the government" telling them to start rounding up weapons in their neighborhoods?

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
      tell me how often you guys see these vehicles rolling down your city streets? patrol officers aren't answering calls in these, just like they aren't answering calls in scary camo. these vehicles only come out when they need to, and scary camo'd men only come out when they need to.

most citizens have no idea that their police departments have stuff like this.
      I may not have expressed what I meant well, but like I said, I'm not opposed to law enforcement having these vehicles, or whatever weapons, uniforms etc that they choose. As stated in my first post, I think police should have whatever they need to get the job done and go home to their families safe at night. I guess my response was more to the comparison of saying that we should send infantrymen on patrols through Afghanistan in soft humvees as a comparison to police patrolling streets here in the states. Two completely different worlds and I guess it just struck a nerve with me the way I read it.

Comment

Tvc for the win! As usual

Comment

I think its kinda stylish... with gas prices down I may use that as my every day vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by Iehooligan11b View Post
            I may not have expressed what I meant well, but like I said, I'm not opposed to law enforcement having these vehicles, or whatever weapons, uniforms etc that they choose. As stated in my first post, I think police should have whatever they need to get the job done and go home to their families safe at night. I guess my response was more to the comparison of saying that we should send infantrymen on patrols through Afghanistan in soft humvees as a comparison to police patrolling streets here in the states. Two completely different worlds and I guess it just struck a nerve with me the way I read it.
            no prob man, appreciate your service

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
              Daniel and/or Tvc184, how do you think your department, your chief, your fellow officers would respond to "the government" telling them to start rounding up weapons in their neighborhoods?
              I'm 100% sure we would tell the government to pound sand and I would lineup shoulder to shoulder with the citizens in the community that I serve to protect them from a government who is trying to trample on their constitutional rights.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel75 View Post
                So, using your example, do you feel that engaging 2 terrorists that possess high-powered rifles a typical duty of the police? I don't. It's a special vehicle for a special purpose.

The only time it's us vs them is when "them" is trying to kill "us". I'm not trying to equate my daily patrol duties as anything similar to patrolling a town in Iraq or Afghanistan. Most of the people I come into contact with are friendly people and are on our side. Don't let the media influence you about a war between police and the citizens of this country. The bleeding heart liberal's are in charge of the mainstream media and they are the ones responsible for creating this anti-police propaganda and they continue to add fuel to the flames.
                Yeah, I get what you're saying. And again, I guess I worded my first post wrong. I'm completely for yall having whatever you need.

Comment

So, using your example, do you feel that engaging 2 terrorists that possess high-powered rifles a typical duty of the police? I don't. It's a special vehicle for a special purpose.

The only time it's us vs them is when "them" is trying to kill "us". I'm not trying to equate my daily patrol duties as anything similar to patrolling a town in Iraq or Afghanistan. Most of the people I come into contact with are friendly people and are on our side. Don't let the media influence you about a war between police and the citizens of this country. The bleeding heart liberal's are in charge of the mainstream media and they are the ones responsible for creating this anti-police propaganda and they continue to add fuel to the flames.
                  To your point , how does the left view this equipment ? They already believe the police are not on their side . If you need heavy firepower is there a SWAT division you can call for back up ?

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterhelm View Post
                    Conspiracy much?

Yep, the cops do need this stuff. The bad guys aren't packing 6 shooters anymore.
                    The bad guys are now packing handguns stolen out of trucks. And that is some pretty nice hardware according to some of the theft threads here.

Police departments have to find a way to spend all that surplus homeland security money somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by Hydestik View Post
                      To your point , how does the left view this equipment ? They already believe the police are not on their side . If you need heavy firepower is there a SWAT division you can call for back up ?
                      If we need help, there's multiple SWAT teams available to us.

I think you can tell by the stories that CNN and MSNBC run on police exactly what their views are. In my opinion, they are not thinly veiled shots, they are full-blown haymakers.

Comment

I'm calm, just curious about your rationale.

To me it's a public perception, one that most Americans are finding unease with. Police looking like the military invokes the perception of war. We should not wonder if it's the police or the Army patrolling our streets. We need police and they need the tools to deal with civil issues, but I don't think MRAPS, bayonets (federal government gave 15k or so to police departments through that program), the army's latest camo etc are necessary. There are other uniforms, patterns and vehicles they can use to help keep a separation between our civil servants and our soldiers. We need a strong police presence to preserve and protect...not militarily intimidate here in America.

And Hooligan said it best.

Comment

Originally posted by Hydestik View Post
                          Typical response for SWAT 45 min to an hour....a lot can happen and does happen in that time. More than likely the damage is already done or they will be working a barricaded subject.

Comment

I'm 100% sure we would tell the government to pound sand and I would lineup shoulder to shoulder with the citizens in the community that I serve to protect them from a government who is trying to trample on their constitutional rights.

Comment

What did they do before they got military vehicles..........???

Comment

Originally posted by Tbar View Post
                                What did they do before they got military vehicles..........???

We got smoked.

Comment

Working...
                                X