Cool Season Prescribed Fires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool Season Prescribed Fires

Anybody do any cool season prescribed fires on their place? If so, do you do a certain amount of acreage every year and rotate your fires every 3-5 years? Also, I wanted to see if anyone had any before and after pictures. We will be doing a small prescribed burn in Feb or March and I will be sure to document the process, take pictures and share them with you all in case you are interested. I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience in doing these cool season burns.

We posted some burn pictures in the thread "Never Ending Ranch Work", but no after pictures. Will take some if I remember this weekend. Even in the places where the fire was the biggest and hottest, is now green growth and no evidence of fire besides some char on remaining logs.

Have burned in the hill country south of Menard as well with good success. The grass that comes back (and it comes back quick) is much shorter and a different type. Saw sika deer feeding this past weekend in a field we burned 4 months ago

Comment

We try and do 10-20% of the ranch I work on every year, weather dependant. We'll burn in a checkerboard pattern if that makes sense. Old growth between freshly burned spots. It works really well. Not a fire picture exactly, but at this feeder last year, all I had coming to it were does and a couple scrub bucks. ^^that was this year. that new growth really draws deer in

Comment

Working...
      X