Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wildlife photographers - what are your favorite locations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wildlife photographers - what are your favorite locations?

Thought it might be cool if some folks wanted to share their favorite places to get cool wildlife shots. I've gotten a few good ones at Bastrop State Park, my lease in Lampasas, and National Forests in NM.

I take a lot of photos on my own place around feeders or water. I also have access to friends ranches in many areas and then a lease of my own in West Texas. Also take a few at State Parks when I get time.

Comment

Dont have one yet. I am just really getting into photography. Im sure I will find some very soon.

Comment

There are some excellent places in the RGV you can go to. Bentsen State Park, the National Butterfly Center are both out of Mission. They have feeding stations set up for birds & butterflies. You also have a chance at bobcats & javelinas. Laguna Atascosa along the coast is good for waterfowl and deer. Waterfowl & gators at the World Birding Center on SPI also. Those, along with private ranches are where I used to hang out when I lived in the RGV. I'm still looking for good spots in the DFW area. I know they exist. I just haven't put a lot of time and effort in to finding them yet.

Comment

Yellowstone National Park and Estes Park in September during the Elk rut. Scheduled to go to Glacier this coming September.

Comment

Glacier is my wife's favorite place so far. We have been a lot of different places but this is where she always wants to go.

Comment

Anywhere in Colorado. South Llano and Colorado Bend SP's are really good. South Llano has birding blinds setup with food/water stations. Lost Maples can be good in the Spring and Fall too...

Comment

Private ranches are my favorite since I am blessed with a lot of access. I do make quite a few trips to Wildlife Management Area’s like Black Gap in West Texas.

Comment

My top picks would be Yellowstone/Grand Teton NP in Wyoming, Glacier NP in Montana, Denali NP in Alaska, and Kruger NP/Sabi Sands in South Africa. All of them offered abundant wildlife photography opportunities with great backdrops.

For closer to home many of the parks in Texas including Big Bend, Garner, Bastrop and Inks offer good opportunities. My own deer lease and some of the neighborhoods/local municipalities can be good. My neighborhood has a large whitetail population and with the houses spread out you can still get some natural back grounds. If the backdrops were better at Fossil Rim I would rate it higher but it's a lot better than a zoo.

On my wish list are Ngorongoro Crater in Tanzania, Acadia NP in Maine, and Australia.

Comment

I don't have the gear to capture great wildlife shots but I have managed to snap shots of some of my favorite landscapes over the years. Almost all on public lands in New Mexico or Colorado while either hunting, fishing or backpacking.

Comment

I carry my gear everywhere I go, never know what you might see!

Comment

Working...
                      X