Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2TB Hard Drive Hit the Floor :(

WD External Hard Drive 2TB fell of kitchen table hit the hardwood floor
    Was downloading some footage from WD 2 TB hard drive and stepped into power cord plugged in and jerked it off the table and it hit the floor and exploded into pieces. Mostly the plastic casing. But still cant get it to work. 850 gigs of video....GONE!! Wont even turn on. Somethings tweaked.

Took the Hardrive to a place today n Houston called MicroCenter and they didn't seem to know what to do. I wonder if there is a place I can mail it to to see if it can be repaired or get an estimate? I don't think Western Digital company who makes the hard drive does that anymore. Bummed.

A decent shop should be able to extract the hard drive and remove it from the broken enclosure. it is just a normal PC hard drive inside, and hopefully it will power up. If so, hopefully the heads of the drive got parked before it hit. Drives can take a lot of G-force if the heads got parked. If they didn't, then you are likely out of luck. You can find places to send it off to get the data, but it is very expensive.

Comment

If you take the system you are on now and drop it from approximately the same height, towards the same surface as the ext. Harddrive struck, applying just a tad more downward force , the system will be able to sync itself to the parity errors of the harddrive and allow you to access it.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
        If you take the system you are on now and drop it from approximately the same height, towards the same surface as the ext. Harddrive struck, applying just a tad more downward force , the system will be able to sync itself to the parity errors of the harddrive and allow you to access it.
        You lie

Comment

If you do this, you need to video it. You know, for science

Comment

lmao

Comment

Originally posted by CitifiedBowman View Post
              A decent shop should be able to extract the hard drive and remove it from the broken enclosure. it is just a normal PC hard drive inside, and hopefully it will power up. If so, hopefully the heads of the drive got parked before it hit. Drives can take a lot of G-force if the heads got parked. If they didn't, then you are likely out of luck. You can find places to send it off to get the data, but it is very expensive.
              ^^^This

Or you can take the drive out yourself and figure out what type it is. If the drive is still operational you can purchase a USB drive adaptor. Normally they will take full size and laptop SATA drives. I have several at work and use them a lot, should find them at Best Buy or similar store.

IE: http://www.walmart.com/c/kp/usb-to-sata-adapter

Comment

When you replace it get a time capsule from Apple

Comment

Originally posted by b.slocum View Post
                  ^^^This

Or you can take the drive out yourself and figure out what type it is. If the drive is still operational you can purchase a USB drive adaptor. Normally they will take full size and laptop SATA drives. I have several at work and use them a lot, should find them at Best Buy or similar store.

IE: http://www.walmart.com/c/kp/usb-to-sata-adapter
                  Did that today. Just won't power up. So I tried one of those SATA drive deals and it still would not power up. Its not dinged or anything it just won't power up....lesson learned. Had a lot of important data but i won't be paying 1,000 bucks to retrieve it. thanks for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon-Paul View Post
                    When you replace it get a time capsule from Apple
                    might do that....from now on Im going with Lacie 1 Terabyte External Drive with Thunderbolt the rugged rubber orange case. They are supposed to be bullet proof and you don't need A/C.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by elkbowhunter View Post
                      Did that today. Just won't power up. So I tried one of those SATA drive deals and it still would not power up. Its not dinged or anything it just won't power up....lesson learned. Had a lot of important data but i won't be paying 1,000 bucks to retrieve it. thanks for the advice.
                      bummer

buy 2 and rotate them weekly for backup. It's much cheaper to spend money on spare drives than paying a recovery company

Comment

bummer

buy 2 and rotate them weekly for backup. It's much cheaper to spend money on spare drives than paying a recovery company
                        I heard dat!! there was a guy in front of me at Micro Center who was paying 1,800.00 to recover things off of a external hard rive that bit it.
                        Big gulp!

Comment

bummer

I do that with my wife's computer. we have a back up to the back up .

Online backup is next

Comment

Originally posted by elkbowhunter View Post
                            I heard dat!! there was a guy in front of me at Micro Center who was paying 1,800.00 to recover things off of a external hard rive that bit it.
                            Big gulp!
                            I learned many moons ago after paying to have one of mine recovered that had my kids' baby pictures on it. I've kept several backup devices since then.

Comment

Originally posted by CitifiedBowman View Post
                              I was going to offer advice, but you nailed it perfectly.

Comment

Working...
                              X