Gun Safe Recs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gun Safe Recs

Looking to purchase a new gun safe and was hoping to get some opinions from y’all. A few things I’m after:
    • Needs to hold 25 guns without having them crammed on each other
    • Would like additional room to store ammo
    • Would like to keep the safe in my shop or in my garage, so needs to have a good seal (maybe I’m reaching here)

What do y’all recommend and why? Would like opinions based on personal experience.

Thanks!

What is your price range? To comfortably hold 25 guns you need a 42 gun or something along that size. Price range will determine a lot.

Also, whats the purpose? Fire safe? Security? Some are good for one but not as much the other. Companies like Sturdy are good on security but the cost of adding fire protection can be a killer. Companies like LIberty seem to have a good fire rating but lack on security. Either way, the safe needs to be bolted to the ground for maximum protection.

Comment

I would like to know who the dumb *** is that figures out how many guns a safe will hold. You need a safe that is double what they say they will hold.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry H View Post
        I would like to know who the dumb *** is that figures out how many guns a safe will hold. You need a safe that is double what they say they will hold.

They must size them based on single shot 22’s without scopes

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
          They must size them based on single shot 22’s without scopes

And no bolts.

Comment

Look at tractor supply they are on sale

Comment

Lots of good info on this thread

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=675171

Comment

Mines getting bolted down as I type. Found a deal on a used liberty Lincoln 50. I wanted us made and couldn't afford ft Knox haha.

Comment

Fort knox is what I have. Nice safe. It would hold 25 if I didn't have shelves in it. Like others said, it all depends on the type of gun as to how many spots one gun takes.

Comment

Liberty Lincoln is nice

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                      Liberty Lincoln is nice
                      It is. Except it cracked my concrete. Must of had a voind where I placed it. Now I gotta move it again and replace some concrete. Now the back sits about 3 inches lower than the front

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                        Liberty Lincoln is nice
                        This is what I want but am most likely going to go with a fatboy!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry H View Post
                          Yep...I think they use Daisy Red Ryder BB guns when determining how many guns a safe will hold. Double the capacity you think you need is a good rule of thumb. Check out Costco if one is near you. They offer pretty good deals and include shipping/delivery. Also, I learned long ago that a safe is found in a jewelry store or bank. What you are looking for is a RSC (Residential Security Container). Yes, there is a difference. That being said, buy the best one you can afford, and recognize that any safe/RSC is better than not having your firearms secured at all. Also, try to buy one with a dial lock rather than a digital (battery powered) one. I've had both and while the digital ones are convenient and fast to open, when they fail you have an expensive problem getting it opened up.

Good luck,

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                            This is what I want but am most likely going to go with a fatboy!
                            My dad has a fat boy. He likes it. I went with the taller version because I wanted the height not width. Both are comparable though

Comment

Ask yourself one question...

Does the price of a safe need to be less than the price of two fully rigged out rifles?

A safe is an investment that can be passed down just like your firearms.

Don't skimp on a safe and definitely don't skimp on size. I have a Liberty Fat Boy (64 gun), it has locking bolts on all 4 sides of the door. I'm glad I went with the biggest one I could fit in the space and what I could afford. I may have 30 or so long guns and a dozen pistols (pistol pouches on inside of door). Even then, it looks "full" with ammo, important paperwork, jewelry, extra scopes, etc. You'll be surprised what you want to keep in there to keep it "safe".

Whichever brand and model you chose, make sure you get a golden rod (dehumidifier).
                              Last edited by Tubby; 02-27-2018, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X