No announcement yet.

fill feeder and hunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like you guys got them trained pretty well there on the Junco. They hear a truck and know that there will be a treat shortly thereafter.

Reminds of the ranch we hunted in McMullen County. You would feed down a sendero. Turn around to go to the next sendero and literally be running deer off the corn you had just thrown. Low fence place but had the 'tamest' deer I've ever seen. The ranch had a ton of oil production and there were trucks on it day and night 24/7. I think the deer got accustomed to all the activity and weren't as spooky.

Comment

That's not the Junco. It's our place SW of Dallas. These deer aren't tame. With the poaching, we want them WILD. They hear a truck, they leave, but it doesn't take them long to come back once the truck is gone. On the Junco, we feed the roads and they'll come to the roads. On our place, we don't feed the roads. It is a bummer because it's nice to corn roads and watch deer, but if we did that, they'd get shot when we weren't there worse than they do now. It seems they know the difference between a truck at a feeder and one on the roads. Smart animals.

Comment

Nice thread TD!! Rage 'em!!

Comment

It's a shame that poaching is such an issue for you guys.

I'd love to see all the pictures that you don't post on here.

Comment

Very cool. I need those type of deer.

Comment

What's up with that deer in the last pic? The deer on the left? Looks like it needs a hammerhead.

Wac M Stack M on here had pics of a Hill County Triple play. He filled the feeder and had turkeys, 9 pointer that we had been hunting and pigs come in all within about 2 hours. Heck I have had turkeys come in to the feeder when I walked to the truck for the 2nd bag of corn.

Comment

Tuthdoc, I went hunting w/ my daughter and had forgotten my hand corn so I had to go down to the feeder and set it off. Was walking back up to my gun blind, look back and two does were standing 10 yards behind the feeder waiting on me to get out of there.

Comment

This past Friday morning, we heard a shot on the ranch. It was fairly close to Dog, so he made tracks from his bowblind to his truck and took off in that direction. He didn't see anyone, so he hurried toward the front gate. He didn't see a dust trail, so they were a good way ahead of him. He heard a vehicle gun out of there on the highway. We didn't see any sign of what they shot or exactly where, but it's just typical. The ranch hands and farm hands won't keep the gate closed, so it was easy for them to go in and out. I wired it shut when I left. We could grow some really nice deer if we could get some age on them. We lose some deer to the neighbors hunting the borders, but that's just life on a low fence with people with the "brown and down" syndrone. It's the deer we lose to people that aren't supposed to be on the property that really hurts.

Comment

Working...
                  X