Cedar trees for projects?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cedar trees for projects?

I saw yesterday that I have 2 very large and straight cedar (blue berries cedar) that were uprooted. One is about 3 feet in diameter, 3 feet up and the other is 18" in diameter 3 feet up. They are easily 20+ feet tall. They are pine tree straight.

I'm wondering if I could salvage these for a project and if so, how to do it?

Sure. Be careful. Cut at base, trim out, then cut to lengths you would need. You will need something with a front end loader to put on a trailer. I would use the whole tree to finish getting the rootball out of the ground before cutting it up.

Careful limbing it out, because limbs will be under pressure, and will snap back.

Comment

Cut them in 16-20 ft lengths put them up to dry and then find someone with a sawmill and get cut to desired sizes.

Comment

Ok. It will be a few weeks before I get to it, but about 80% of the root is out of the ground. There are several large grapevines holding them. I might try to make time to go cut those so they can dry out over the next few weeks so I can more easily see the trees.

Comment

My uncle recently took down a bunch of cedars that he is going to use to make a fence. He powerwashed them to strip the bark.

Comment

No reason to handle larger logs than needed. Many smaller sawmills don't handle long stuff. Cut logs 1 foot longer than the material you want.

Comment

Did his to one for hanging things on in the man cave. It has a pin top and bottom so it swivels.

Comment

Don't know why it didn't post above??
                Attached Files

Comment

I'm not sure what I want to do with them, other then get them. My husband was pretty impressed that they came down. I was thinking of using the entire trunk for an outdoor gazebo type thingy, which may need to be 15-20 feet long.

Comment

Girl, I cut several cedar trees early last year and took some to the sawmill in Rockdale. Had them cut into board for siding on our new house. Also cut some thinner for interior panels in our closets. Also cut a cypress tree into board for interior wall in the house.

Found a guy between Franklin and Calvert that has a portable saw that cut the last trees I had. Looking forward to cutting down a couple of my Sisters dead cedar trees for future projects.

Contact me if you want their contact info.
                    Gene 979-8one4-zero991

Comment

Gene - I will definitely be calling you in a few weeks for that number.

Comment

Working...
                      X