Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

S&W M&P Sport II - Can it be used for hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S&W M&P Sport II - Can it be used for hunting?

I am thinking about getting the above gun. However, the clerk behind the counter at the gun store (and no, it was not Academy, Bass Pro or Cabelas), said that it was primarily to be used for target practice and couldn't handle a big enough bullet that would be necessary to hunt hogs/deer.

Any truth to this statement?

Not at all, some good soft point ammo and go to town. Are there bigger and possibly better suited calibers....sure....will the .223/5.56 take down a deer or pig....easily( I have done it numerous times!). Get the right ammo and put the round right where it needs to be and you will have no problem!

Comment

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
      NO> It's not an entirely accurate statement

Originally posted by aggie_archer View Post
      Not at all, some good soft point ammo and go to town. Are there bigger and possibly better suited calibers....sure....will the .223/5.56 take down a deer or pig....easily( I have done it numerous times!). Get the right ammo and put the round right where it needs to be and you will have no problem!
      ^^^ what he said

for every 1 person that says the caliber itself ( not the rifle ) is fine, you will have multiples saying NO. short answer - YES. it will work, taking the debate out of the 5.56/223 NOT killing an animal or being enough
      Last edited by clayg08; 09-27-2016, 01:50 PM.

Comment

I am thinking about getting the above gun. However, the clerk behind the counter at the gun store (and no, it was not Academy, Bass Pro or Cabelas), said that it was primarily to be used for target practice and couldn't handle a big enough bullet that would be necessary to hunt hogs/deer.

Hell no, will work fine. Shot placement
        The clerk probably hunts 115# hill country deer with a 300 win mag too

Comment

Does it have a maximum grain bullet it can use?

Comment

It's a 1:9 twist, so might have trouble stabilizing heavy stuff but should go to 70 just fine.

Comment

there is a chart floating around that shows grains / twist. since this ammo isn't too terribly expensive, just try the 55, 62, 64 and 70 grains. my AR shoots them all very similar ( within moderate ranges ). i've head shot a truck load of pigs with a 55 gr FMJ and all have been DRT. kiddos used some 64 gr bullets on deer last year with success. i'm looking for some 70 gr bullets right now to experiment with next month

Comment

Thanks everyone. Very helpful.

Comment

I have listed the ammo below that I have had best luck with (my favorite being the Nosler). Its all good quality ammo with a good bullet. The biggest thing I use to see working at a gun shop was guys coming in and buying varmint ammo for deer hunting....not saying it won't work but saying you run a higher risk of losing an animal due to lack of penetration with that ammo then with the ammo i listed below. Also make you sure you know your limitations when shooting a smaller caliber, it will not reach out and touch like a .30-06 or a .300 win mag will but it does still have plenty of advantages.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie_archer View Post
                    I have listed the ammo below that I have had best luck with (my favorite being the Nosler). Its all good quality ammo with a good bullet. The biggest thing I use to see working at a gun shop was guys coming in and buying varmint ammo for deer hunting....not saying it won't work but saying you run a higher risk of losing an animal due to lack of penetration with that ammo then with the ammo i listed below. Also make you sure you know your limitations when shooting a smaller caliber, it will not reach out and touch like a .30-06 or a .300 win mag will but it does still have plenty of advantages.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/89...tion-box-of-20
                    Good to know. Thanks. This would primarily be used for hogs. And I want to make sure I am taking ethical shots.

Comment

This proves a "clerk" at a real gun store doesn't always know what he or she is saying is correct.

Place your shots with a 223 and you will do fine.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                        This proves a "clerk" at a real gun store doesn't always know what he or she is saying is correct.

Place your shots with a 223 and you will do fine.
                        This doesn't really shock me. I think he was trying to sell me a more expensive AR as he immediately started trying to show me ARs in the $1500+ price range. I told him I wasn't interested in those.

Comment

I have never owned nor even shot an AR with a 1:9 twist barrel but if it was my moolah, I would choose a rifle with 1:7 twist barrel to allow me to shoot heavier bullets a little more accurately.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveS903 View Post
                            I have never owned nor even shot an AR with a 1:9 twist barrel but if it was my moolah, I would choose a rifle with 1:7 twist barrel to allow me to shoot heavier bullets a little more accurately.
                            This. Or go online and find an upper in 300 blk, 6.8 spc, or 6.5 Grendel. All of which as more capable than 223

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1475017588.167700.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	24464576
                              This chart?

Comment

Working...
                              X