No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you have to do to hunt out there? Is there a website? I've been wanting to hog hunt for awhile just don't know what to do.

Comment

All you need is an public lands permit to hunt public land. Which I believe you already have for georgetown. And some really really reallllllly good walking boots.

Comment

I walked in from gate 9. (hwy95 and San Gabriel river) Went in about 1.4 miles and saw some good looking areas. Right before the river I saw want looked like a long strip that has been rutted up. I stayed about 20 ft from where it drops off down to the river and followed it back toward 95. I should have made my loop from direction, but when you don't know where you are going things happens. I saw one buck scrape on the way out along with tree stand. It looked like it had been there awhile. Not new for the deer hunt that starts tomorrow. It wasn't for from the scrape I saw though. Lots of tree rats, it sounded like a herd of cattle coming thur, but it was just 4 tree rats chasing each other through the dry leaves. All in all a great day in new woods.
        Last edited by 05 gray ghost; 11-14-2010, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Genevieve View Post
          What do you have to do to hunt out there? Is there a website? I've been wanting to hog hunt for awhile just don't know what to do.
          Gene

What Dirty said above X 2

Alot of area out there and alot of it is real thick, but don't get me wrong there is alot of area where you can see good also. Sometimes you walk into a pocket and have to turn around and back track. There are some steep washes that feed down to the river also. This was just my second time to go out there, so I don't know that much about it.

Comment

I would like to try hunting out there but I'm afraid I would get lost. Y'all would have to put together a TBH Search and Rescue team

Is there duck hunting on the lake? I love to duck hunt but I don't have a boat or a dog lol

Comment

granger

great thread ive been looking at heading out but prob wont get to go out till about middle of Dec. i was also wondering if duck was good out there.

Comment

does anybody know the closer dates for this year?

Comment

I have never duck hunted out there. However many a times I wish I would of brought a shot gun instead of the bow cause there were ducks all over.

Comment

i think it would be hard to get lost at granger,but ive hunted there so much i kinda know it like the back of my hand

Comment

I've never been out there. Heck I'm afraid of getting lost at georgetown!

Comment

It can be easy to get lost at granger, or at least turned around to where you just added an extra 5-10 miles to your trip. I am going to try to make it out there this weekend. You are welcome to come along. Going to the san gabriel unit to check out spots I marked on the gps from last year. See what they look like now. That is if Granger is not closed for deer hunts. Bring a fishing pole if you like to fish. After dark usally drag the cooler down to the river for catfish.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                          It can be easy to get lost at granger, or at least turned around to where you just added an extra 5-10 miles to your trip. I am going to try to make it out there this weekend. You are welcome to come along. Going to the san gabriel unit to check out spots I marked on the gps from last year. See what they look like now. That is if Granger is not closed for deer hunts. Bring a fishing pole if you like to fish. After dark usally drag the cooler down to the river for catfish.
                          I would take you up on this but I'm going to be helping with the Operation Orphan hunt in Mason. Maybe we can meet up another weekend...I love to fish!

Comment

Originally posted by viper3853 View Post
                            great thread ive been looking at heading out but prob wont get to go out till about middle of Dec. i was also wondering if duck was good out there.
                            I've been duck hunting out there for the past couple of seasons, and I've been really happy with the amount of shooting we've had. There is just so much area that it might take you a while to find a spot that you like.

I've hunted Sore Finger and San Gabriel for ducks and we've had decent success in both units.

Comment

Originally posted by paintman View Post
                              i think it would be hard to get lost at granger,but ive hunted there so much i kinda know it like the back of my hand
                              so do i but sometimes all the trees look the same and i do et "lost" haha

Comment

Originally posted by bigbowman91 View Post
                                so do i but sometimes all the trees look the same and i do et "lost" haha
                                you are not kidding. You get back in some areas and do a turn in all directions a few times and it all looks exactly the same. Afterdark, it all looks the same. I keep my eye on house lights and fences. I would say more like misdirected then lost. Will anyone else be out there this weekend. Looks like we may get another light freeze. Maybe get the pigs running around.

Comment

Working...
                                X