Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kdurham View Post
    I think everyone knows where that is. Haha
    Yeah I've found on two different plots s stand and camera, I was surprised it was there as well lol.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Gonna ride over there tomorrow to have a initial look, moved here in Jan

Comment

Me and my son will be out tomorrow. And maybe a buddy of mine will come.

Comment

Originally posted by Brentwalkertx View Post
          Me and my son will be out tomorrow. And maybe a buddy of mine will come.
          Nice! Good luck on finding some signs!

Comment

Originally posted by scoutman View Post
            Gonna ride over there tomorrow to have a initial look, moved here in Jan
            Get a map from Google or on Monday goto the office and get a map. It'll help you find different plots.

Comment

First time poster.

Started hunting LBJ late in the season last year and I've seen good signs. I've had a couple of cams up in different locations and I always have deer, hogs, coons, whatever on them.

Not a ton, but over the period of a month I'll always have multiple critters on the cams. One cam has a couple of bucks on it though they are probably just 2 year olds I'd think. Anyway, saw them in June with some having a little antler growth so I'm anxious to get back out there to check the cams again and see if they're back and what their antlers are doing.

Went out last weekend to check two of my three cams and jumped two deer in two different locations, both snorted at me quite a bit. When I checked the other cam several weeks ago I had another one snort at me.

Not sure if they were bucks or not, all I could see was body mass as they darted through the woods.

Bottom line is there are lots of good signs. Really enjoy the Grasslands, it's an incredible asset to have so close to home.

I'm headed back out today to check on my cams and scout a little. Best to luck to everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by drycreek View Post
                First time poster.

Started hunting LBJ late in the season last year and I've seen good signs. I've had a couple of cams up in different locations and I always have deer, hogs, coons, whatever on them.

Not a ton, but over the period of a month I'll always have multiple critters on the cams. One cam has a couple of bucks on it though they are probably just 2 year olds I'd think. Anyway, saw them in June with some having a little antler growth so I'm anxious to get back out there to check the cams again and see if they're back and what their antlers are doing.

Went out last weekend to check two of my three cams and jumped two deer in two different locations, both snorted at me quite a bit. When I checked the other cam several weeks ago I had another one snort at me.

Not sure if they were bucks or not, all I could see was body mass as they darted through the woods.

Bottom line is there are lots of good signs. Really enjoy the Grasslands, it's an incredible asset to have so close to home.

I'm headed back out today to check on my cams and scout a little. Best to luck to everybody.
                Welcome to TBH and nice first post! Good luck on your cams! I'm ready for opening day! I need to do some more scouting.

Comment

Went out today. Didnt do much scouting. Son wanted to fish. Did see a bobcat driving through a unit. Anyone else get out this weekend?

Comment

Welcome Drycreek.

Comment

I went out today with my dad. We walked a new unit but I couldn't get to the spot I wanted to. The brush just got too tall and thick. I have to find a new route to get there. I went to one of my usual spots and put up a trail cam where I had a few bucks coming in last year. We'll see what happens.

Comment

I'm going to try to get out there next weekend.

Comment

Went out on Saturday and checked all three cams I have out. Cam 1 was in a new location for just a week. Have a couple of does on it. One doe and a yearling. They looked super skittish. Wonder if that's because my fresh scent was everywhere. Anyway, I set it up on a massive rub from last year on one of those cedar/juniper trees. I notice the deer like to mark those particular trees, I've seen a rub on one other type of tree and every other one is on a juniper. Anyway, I looked around the area and there were several other large rubs from the previous season. So it's a good spot and there was definitely a buck working the area but he may have got got last year so who knows. Need to see if he shows his face on the cam.

Cam 2 has two or three bucks in the area from what I can tell, one may be a shooter this fall the other two are either yearlings or small two year olds. I'll keep an eye on them but honestly, I'm not sure any would be worth taking this year. Give them another year and I think you'd have a pretty decent buck to try and take.

Cam 3 had been out for a week and had nothing but a blue tick coon hound on it. This is the area where I jumped two different deer last weekend. Lots of signs in this area and this cam is set up on a nice rub that I hunted last year. There was some really large deer scat in the area too so trying to see if I can get a buck to show his face.

I walked several miles in that heat and humidity through some pretty thick stuff and the pounding sun and it almost took me out. I mean man it was hot. Had plenty of water but was about a second thought away from stripping down and jumping into one of the ponds I came across.

This public land hunting is tough man. But I really enjoy it. It's certainly the definition of the word hunting.

Comment

Went out on Saturday and checked all three cams I have out. Cam 1 was in a new location for just a week. Have a couple of does on it. One doe and a yearling. They looked super skittish. Wonder if that's because my fresh scent was everywhere. Anyway, I set it up on a massive rub from last year on one of those cedar/juniper trees. I notice the deer like to mark those particular trees, I've seen a rub on one other type of tree and every other one is on a juniper. Anyway, I looked around the area and there were several other large rubs from the previous season. So it's a good spot and there was definitely a buck working the area but he may have got got last year so who knows. Need to see if he shows his face on the cam.

Cam 2 has two or three bucks in the area from what I can tell, one may be a shooter this fall the other two are either yearlings or small two year olds. I'll keep an eye on them but honestly, I'm not sure any would be worth taking this year. Give them another year and I think you'd have a pretty decent buck to try and take.

Cam 3 had been out for a week and had nothing but a blue tick coon hound on it. This is the area where I jumped two different deer last weekend. Lots of signs in this area and this cam is set up on a nice rub that I hunted last year. There was some really large deer scat in the area too so trying to see if I can get a buck to show his face.

I walked several miles in that heat and humidity through some pretty thick stuff and the pounding sun and it almost took me out. I mean man it was hot. Had plenty of water but was about a second thought away from stripping down and jumping into one of the ponds I came across.

This public land hunting is tough man. But I really enjoy it. It's certainly the definition of the word hunting.
                            Nice man, glad to hear your seeing some good signs for this season.

Comment

Nice to hear that your seeing stuff on camera.

Comment

Couple days of vacation, went up this morning and pulled a camera, found 3 more stands from last year.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X