Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-20-2018, 03:49 PM   #1
Mudshack
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NW Missouri Public Land
Default Difference between TBH and other forums

I was on another forum where a new bowhunter was asking for suggestions. When I gave my suggestion, the thread got siderailed with guys bashing me for having an ego and having unachievable expectations from shooting a bow in the back yard. I mean people attached my character. Never had that here on TBH.

What do you think? Below is my exact wording from my suggestion.

"Practice until you are hitting a 3" circle at 40yds consistently. This will make you VERY accurate at typcial archery distances of <30yds. If you shoot with anyone that is happy just to hit a paper plate or a pie plate.....make excuses next time they ask to shoot and go shoot by yourself. If you only have 20yds to shoot.....practice hitting a quarter size dot. "

---------------
And here are some of the responses:
"If all bowhunters had to have your qualifications to archery hunt there wouldn't be a lot of us. I know a lot of bowhunters and I don't know of one that can consistently hit a quarter size dot at 20 yards much less shoot a group of arrows in a 3 inch circle at 40 yards. And we all consistently kill deer and rarely wound one. "

"Just for the record, and this is what p!ssses me off the worst about internet forums and some of these backyard pros. If you can constantly hit a quarter at 20 yards and your groups are always 3" At 40 you can make a living shooting a bow.

Thing is, the people who make these claims (1) set unreasonable expectations for others who don't know. And, (2) although they may have hit a quarter once at 20 yards or shot a 3" ,group at 40 in their back yard, flat ground, no wind, no pressure, they'd melt like a stick of butter on a hundred degree day if they ever had to prove themselves in front of other people."
Mudshack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 03:51 PM   #2
NannySlayer
Ten Point

There are other Internet forums? Who knew!!

I just keep it around TBH and to heck with errybody else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NannySlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 03:53 PM   #3
Walker
Ten Point

Heck, Sounds like you hurt somebodies feelings. Im just average and rarely practice.but can shoot quarter size groups at 20 most any day of the week., My advice is just stay on this forum.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 03:54 PM   #4
Jerry H
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

TBH is the only reason I have internet.
Jerry H is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 03:55 PM   #5
Larryf250
Ten Point

Hunt In: Illinois / Goliad

They didn’t like your advice because it’s calling all of them out. They don’t think aim smal miss small. They think aim in that direction and prey. Don’t lose sleep over it.
Larryf250 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 03:57 PM   #6
Mudshack
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryf250 View Post
They didnít like your advice because itís calling all of them out. They donít think aim smal miss small. They think aim in that direction and prey. Donít lose sleep over it.
Sleeping like a baby. But I did find it strange that people have that attitude. I mean, when they sight in rifles, do they put the crosshairs on the bullseye or just in the general direction of the target? Gosh....
Old 09-20-2018, 03:58 PM   #7
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public

“Had to have your qualifications to bow hunt” - appears you never said these were qualifications in order to bow hunt. You were simply offering advice on how to improved ones skills. This place is different from most. Good ppl around here.
JLivi1224 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 04:00 PM   #8
MacDaddy67
Ten Point

TBH is awesome....but it does have it share of A holes too
MacDaddy67 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 04:02 PM   #9
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever

Ha! I can definitely see where you post came off badly. Most of the time I see a post like yours, I just ignore it and move on. I wouldn't label you because, well I don't know you and you are probably a swell guy. I tend to reserve judgement of folks on the internet until I meet them in person. And I've only met one person who was actually as off putting in person as the were here on the forum.

But since you are looking for answers as to why you got blasted by people with thin skin... here is why:

If you shoot with anyone that is happy just to hit a paper plate or a pie plate.....make excuses next time they ask to shoot and go shoot by yourself.

This comment right here was totally unnecessary and did nothing to make your point except to make you seem like an elitist. Saying that you need to make an excuse to not hang out with what you'd just labeled an crappy archer is well... a pretty good trait of being an elitist bud.

You may have had pretty good standards and advice outside of that... but that comment right there pretty much made all that irrelevant.

But hey, I don't care... I've never met you in person... and until that day... I'll just assume the best of ya... until you actually prove otherwise. The Lord knows I have inadvertently put my foot in my mouth on this forum before... so I am not one to throw stones.

Last edited by SwampRabbit; 09-20-2018 at 04:04 PM.
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 04:02 PM   #10
Mudshack
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
Yeh, but they are like the uncle that is always at deer camp, and you would miss him if he didn't show up.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:02 PM   #11
tradtiger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

Well, I would be kind of happy to hit a paper plate consistently at 40 yards ... but, then, I shoot a recurve.

Your advice doesn't seem unrealistic for a compound, I suppose. Certainly, not worthy of character attacks.
tradtiger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 04:05 PM   #12
Mudshack
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRabbit View Post

But since you are looking for answers as to why you got blasted by people with thin skin... here is why:

If you shoot with anyone that is happy just to hit a paper plate or a pie plate.....make excuses next time they ask to shoot and go shoot by yourself.

This comment right here was totally unnecessary and did nothing to make your point except to make you seem like an elitist. Saying that you need to make an excuse to not hang out with what you'd just labeled an crappy archer is well... a pretty good trait of being an elitist bud.

You may have had pretty good standards and advice outside of that... but that comment right there pretty much made all that irrelevant.

But hey, I don't care... I've never met you in person... and until that day... I'll just assume the best of ya... until you actually prove otherwise.

Point taken. Thank you. As I intended it to come across as "surround yourself with people who will push you to be better, IF your goal is to get better." Now that you showed me your point of view of my text, I can see where you are coming from. Funny, thing is, that point of view was the furtherest from my mind. Thank you.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:09 PM   #13
BigThicketBoy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hardin Co

I can't shoot groups any more it gets to expensive.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
BigThicketBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 04:16 PM   #14
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

When reading it for the first time the words "make and excuse and go shoot by yourself" jumped out as being a deuche. I'm sure thats what got them riled up.
Man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 04:17 PM   #15
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Usually from a tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
Present!!!
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 04:17 PM   #16
tradtiger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

That Swampy is pretty good with analysis. Tends to be the off-hand remark that some will seize on to find offense -- where none was intended.
tradtiger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 04:18 PM   #17
breederbuck33
Ten Point

I read this like they are goals to strive for as a beginner. I don't read these as qualifications. I think that is excellent advice. You aren't telling them that in order to hunt you need to hit a quarter every shot at 20 yards, or have constant 3" groups at 40 yards. Your saying that when you practice you need to set the bar high for yourself in order to push for improvements. People get their feelings hurt because they think you implied that you are a better shot than them.
breederbuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 04:20 PM   #18
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudshack View Post
Point taken. Thank you. As I intended it to come across as "surround yourself with people who will push you to be better, IF your goal is to get better." Now that you showed me your point of view of my text, I can see where you are coming from. Funny, thing is, that point of view was the furtherest from my mind. Thank you.
Iím the worldís worst at not thinking how something I post could be construed as offensive to others. Iím working on it.
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 04:20 PM   #19
ByronB
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
I can't shoot groups any more it gets to expensive.

And this is why ďgroupingĒ is over-rated.
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 04:30 PM   #20
Rush2Judge
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wood County

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronB View Post
And this is why ďgroupingĒ is over-rated.
...and why I am an advocate of the uniform distribution theory as applied to archery.
Rush2Judge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 04:31 PM   #21
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Usually from a tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
Iím the worldís worst at not thinking how something I post could be construed as offensive to others. Iím working on it.
Well, this really ****** me off!!!!

curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 04:38 PM   #22
RR 314
Ten Point

Only people you care about have opinions you care about. :-)
RR 314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 04:39 PM   #23
BigThicketBoy
Pope & Young

I tend to agree.
What is most important is that first Cold Shot.
That's the one and only shot that really count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush2Judge View Post
...and why I am an advocate of the uniform distribution theory as applied to archery.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:39 PM   #24
scoutman
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tx,ok,Co,sc

Hmnnn......................interesting.
scoutman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 04:41 PM   #25
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County

Quote:
I was on another forum where a new bowhunter was asking for suggestions. When I gave my suggestion, the thread got siderailed with guys bashing me for having an ego and having unachievable expectations from shooting a bow in the back yard. I mean people attached my character. Never had that here on TBH.

"Practice until you are hitting a 3" circle at 40yds consistently. This will make you VERY accurate at typcial archery distances of <30yds. If you shoot with anyone that is happy just to hit a paper plate or a pie plate.....make excuses next time they ask to shoot and go shoot by yourself. If you only have 20yds to shoot.....practice hitting a quarter size dot. "

---------------
"If all bowhunters had to have your qualifications to archery hunt there wouldn't be a lot of us. I know a lot of bowhunters and I don't know of one that can consistently hit a quarter size dot at 20 yards much less shoot a group of arrows in a 3 inch circle at 40 yards. And we all consistently kill deer and rarely wound one. "

"Just for the record, and this is what p!ssses me off the worst about internet forums and some of these backyard pros. If you can constantly hit a quarter at 20 yards and your groups are always 3" At 40 you can make a living shooting a bow.

Thing is, the people who make these claims (1) set unreasonable expectations for others who don't know. And, (2) although they may have hit a quarter once at 20 yards or shot a 3" ,group at 40 in their back yard, flat ground, no wind, no pressure, they'd melt like a stick of butter on a hundred degree day if they ever had to prove themselves in front of other people."
We need to follow the scientific method here. We need a controlled experiment to know for sure. Start a thread and just copy and paste the above bold and lets see what happens.
J Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 04:41 PM   #26
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
When reading it for the first time the words "make and excuse and go shoot by yourself" jumped out as being a deuche. I'm sure thats what got them riled up.
Quote:

You way you intended it to come across sounds much better. I think that other site has a bunch of guys who shoot 8" groups at 20 yards. They got butt hurt over it.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 04:41 PM   #27
BigThicketBoy
Pope & Young

Quote:

---------------

What form was it send me the link I want to go stir the pot

Old 09-20-2018, 04:42 PM   #28
MLank
Eight Point

I ain't mad at ya, and I think those are good goals to strive for... but I kind of agree with the first guy:

MLank is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 04:43 PM   #29
MadHatter
Ten Point

Drop a link to this thread, in that thread
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 04:46 PM   #30
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

Did y'all know that you can print a gun?
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 04:47 PM   #31
MQ32Shooter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cisco, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
Heck, Sounds like you hurt somebodies feelings. Im just average and rarely practice.but can shoot quarter size groups at 20 most any day of the week., My advice is just stay on this forum.
Shooting that good with little practice is very impressive!
MQ32Shooter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 04:49 PM   #32
Mudshack
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
What form was it send me the link I want to go stir the pot
Ha!!
Old 09-20-2018, 04:51 PM   #33
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Do you have the same avatar pic there that you do here?

I'd be ashamed to be offended by something that benign. Everyone these days is looking for a reason to be offended, then they act like the rest of the world is supposed to give a **** that they're offended. Then again, I'm one of the *******s here, so...
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 04:52 PM   #34
eastxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marsh / Central Tx

Except when tbh becomes Boohooville
eastxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 04:52 PM   #35
Mudshack
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
Do you have the same avatar pic there that you do here?

I'd be ashamed to be offended by something that benign. Everyone these days is looking for a reason to be offended, then they act like the rest of the world is supposed to give a **** that they're offended. Then again, I'm one of the *******s here, so...
Actually, no. I found that it caused too many problems. People accused me of self promotion. LOL!! Instead, I have a MUD-SHACK.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:52 PM   #36
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
Well I'll be... You finally posted something that I can agree with... well the first sentence anyway...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 04:56 PM   #37
rladner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Honestly, I did not find any reason for offense in your post. I interpreted it exactly as you restated above. Not sure why you would interpret it any other way. To me it is clear. Shooting with friends who shoot for fun is fine, but you may need to get away from them and shoot differently if you want to improve. Just seems clear to me. Oh well.

On a side note, you got what you deserved for going somewhere else to talk hunting
rladner is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 05:05 PM   #38
Mudshack
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladner View Post

On a side note, you got what you deserved for going somewhere else to talk hunting
Ahhhh. Come on!! I haven't lived in Texas since 2009. Been in Missouri. I have to stay up on current events. But in the end, I always look at TBH as home. As TBH is who motivated me to buy my first bow back in 2005. TBH taught me how to shoot. I never had any friends who shot, so it was TBH. I still have some great friends from TBH. We see each other from time to time, even though I am still up here in the land of giant whitetails.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:13 PM   #39
BolilloLoco
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County

I'm offended by all this talk of people being offended for no good reason.
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 06:23 PM   #40
cpatterson
Four Point

Hunt In: Scurry Co. & Nolan Co.

If you're going to put in all the time and money it requires to prepare for hunting and hunting season, why would you not train to be the best you can be to have the best chances in the field when you get the shot? I don't see a problem with what you said OP because I feel its almost our duty to be the best we can in the field not only for our selves and selfish reasons, but also for the respect of the animal you are after.

Last edited by cpatterson; 09-20-2018 at 06:27 PM.
cpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 06:28 PM   #41
IOWA BOW HUNTER
Eight Point

Hunt In: midwest

I always thought the same thing about other forums. People are d$cks, I found this site is the most friendly out of all of them.

-Proud to be a member
IOWA BOW HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 06:38 PM   #42
mooney_ag
Eight Point

Hunt In: Erath County

Give them their participation trophies
mooney_ag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 06:41 PM   #43
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!

What works for me...and I'm sure others who may object to my comments...

*Just HUNT and enjoy the great outdoors!
*Respect other opinions, read and learn what helps you!
*If you're or were a bow hunter only, understand some of us physically limited can't hunt with the strings anymore...but can sling lead and still enjoy the hunt! NO need to insult with comments per Testosterone levels..."time will get ya' for this assumption."
*Follow forum rules....lol, this has and is disappearing fast....

***When all else fails, use the function to BLOCK that particular member that INSULTS or just plain shows their stupidity...works for me and I'm sure there are those who like not reading some of my responses.....

Still enjoy TBH most every day....."March on and Hunt!" (I've met some GREAT folks via the GS I would never have met without it.)
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 06:54 PM   #44
Bowanta
Ten Point

Hunt In: Looking in Texas and Franklin County (Unit 11), Kansas

I always find it funny at who gets offended or butt hurt when someone ask for advice or an opinion and it is offered. It never seems to be the person that ask, but someone else..
If you don't like the comment, move on. A person doesn't always have to comment....
Bowanta is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 06:54 PM   #45
muddyfuzzy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Angelina County, Limpopo SA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRabbit View Post
Ha! I can definitely see where you post came off badly. Most of the time I see a post like yours, I just ignore it and move on. I wouldn't label you because, well I don't know you and you are probably a swell guy. I tend to reserve judgement of folks on the internet until I meet them in person. And I've only met one person who was actually as off putting in person as the were here on the forum.

But hey, I don't care... I've never met you in person... and until that day... I'll just assume the best of ya... until you actually prove otherwise. The Lord knows I have inadvertently put my foot in my mouth on this forum before... so I am not one to throw stones.

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
muddyfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 07:08 PM   #46
Hogwild84
Six Point

Hunt In: Groesbeck

TBH and 2coolfishing are the only 2 I like.
Hogwild84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 07:37 PM   #47
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!

So what was the other site?
White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 07:59 PM   #48
Mudshack
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Falcon View Post
So what was the other site?

Missouriwhitetails.com
Old 09-20-2018, 08:55 PM   #49
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Missouriwhitetails.com
Well now, maybe we should pay them a visit.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 09:04 PM   #50
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Missouriwhitetails.com
Thread?
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top