Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-22-2018, 10:13 AM   #1
Tmag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Depends on the TPWD draw results!
Default Medicare?

You youngsters stay out of this, I’m needing advice from my elders on this decision and not the regular whipper snappers remarks.
I will be signing up next month and need you older guys that are already on Medicare to help me figure out what coverage I need. I will continue to work and have medical coverage at work that I will keep and maybe change to a lower cost coverage. What Medicare coverage do you have and why do you like it? What is your monthly cost?
You can PM me if you wish to keep it private.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Tmag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2018, 10:22 AM   #2
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Name:  quvuveje.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  104.6 KB
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2018, 10:23 AM   #3
chuckc.
Six Point

Hunt In: Mason

I have medicare part A & B as a supplement to my insurance at work as I still work. I'm not sure exactly what it cost me and the rates are adjusted by the amount of money you earn if you are still working. It has been well worth it . I recently had surgery for prostate cancer and the total bill was around $300,000.00. I was out a little over $500.00 out of pocket. Without it I believe I would have been out 20% of the total cost or around $60,000.00. I hope this helps.
chuckc. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2018, 10:23 AM   #4
Walker
Ten Point

You need to check with your work insurance. My retiree insurance required me to get part b.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2018, 10:35 AM   #5
Tmag
Pope & Young

I'm going to get A and B for sure, just wondering about additional coverages and which company y'all went with. I have a brochure from Signa showing some great eye, ear, and dental coverage and want to compare with others.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:41 AM   #6
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

I'm going to sign up next week too. I am retired and been taking my company retiree insurance for my wife and I which is costing me around $900 a month. My wife is 11 months younger than me so I have to keep my retiree insurance for her when I sign up. They are only reducing my retiree insurance $60 a month when I sign up for Medicare which I've heard is going to cost me about $160 a month. So it sounds like it's going to cost me an extra $100 a month to sign up. I've made a few calls to social security about Medicare and they are a big joke trying to talk them. One yawned and moaning all the during the conversation and the other acted like she just woke up and had a problem staying awake during the conversation.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2018, 10:58 AM   #7
Sidro
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas

A cost you nothing and B comes out of SS payment to tune of $134 per month. I have F for supplement @ $156 to pay what A & B don't pay with D supplement for meds @ $24 for tier 1 drugs. B cost will go up each year and be sure to sign up on time or it will cost considerable more as a penalty for late signup. Hope this helps.
Sidro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2018, 11:17 AM   #8
CoolHandLuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Del Rio

Is this the form you filled out?
CoolHandLuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #9
Tmag
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Whippersnapper #1 - I'm gonna put Burnadell on you next Bownanza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandLuke View Post

Is this the form you filled out?
Luke - You're acting soooo much like your Dad on this I'm gonna let this one slide.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:37 AM   #10
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhandluke View Post

is this the form you filled out?
Lmao!!
Old 08-22-2018, 11:40 AM   #11
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Sidro got it---but your cost for Part B can go up if your income goes high enough--

I'm retired military and have coverage under TRICARE, but I am required to carry MEDICARE Part B.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2018, 12:26 PM   #12
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

My wife has Medicare A & B plus a supplement from Humana. I believe total cost is about $250 a month or in that neighborhood. She has way better coverage than this so called insurance plan we have at work.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2018, 12:50 PM   #13
warrington
Ten Point

Hunt In: Abilene
Default Physician side

From the physician side
Medicare a&b with aarp supplement is easiest and taken by most all hospitals and all doctors that take Medicare products

Stay away from Humana. Cheaper but not covered in a lot of areas. A lot of docs donít take it.
warrington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2018, 12:51 PM   #14
warrington
Ten Point

Supplement with humana ok but himana Medicare is not very goood
Old 08-22-2018, 12:51 PM   #15
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

Name:  wheel.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  77.6 KB
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2018, 01:05 PM   #16
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastaxi View Post

Hahahahahaha
Old 08-22-2018, 01:25 PM   #17
CoolHandLuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Del Rio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastaxi View Post

CoolHandLuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2018, 02:09 PM   #18
db@100
Eight Point

I'm will be signing up this week. I going to go with the AARP Plan G and the AARP part D. If this doesn't work out I'll change next time.
db@100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2018, 03:05 PM   #19
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrington View Post
From the physician side
Medicare a&b with aarp supplement is easiest and taken by most all hospitals and all doctors that take Medicare products

Stay away from Humana. Cheaper but not covered in a lot of areas. A lot of docs donít take it.
Is there an alternative to AARP? I just cannot make myself spend money with those anti-gun, libtards...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2018, 03:24 PM   #20
warrington
Ten Point

Aetna has a good one as well
Old 08-22-2018, 03:58 PM   #21
Tmag
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Is there an alternative to AARP? I just cannot make myself spend money with those anti-gun, libtards...
Iím the same Slick. The Signa brochure I got looks mighty good it Iíd like to hear from someone that has it.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:49 PM   #22
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!

With all the responses...just ONE thing you better research...GAP...when you have med's you MUST take each month, Medicare will ONLY pay a certain amount then you hit the dreaded GAP. What that means, at least for me, I have to pay $5K (48% Medicare still in effect) out of pocket then I "qualify" for coverage (they call is Cathastrophic then no charge for prescriptions) the remainder of the year (until it starts over the 1st day of January.) Medicare will NOT tell you about this and your pharmacy?CVS for me will SHOCK YOUR POCKETBOOK when they tell you your Lantis Insulin is now $308 and Januvia is $160 per month until you reach the $5K max??? Oh, I also have United Healthcare as my supplement to help, but NOT much help with meds when you are in the GAP!!

DO your research and if you have a personal insurance agent, ask them who they recommend that have expertise in "supplement" health insurance??!! My company insurance was MUCH better than what I worked for all my life now....retirement and Medicare?? Such a RIP OFF, but better than nothing....good luck brother and I can only pray your health is ok...cause what YOU paid in for your lifetime is discounted when you reach that magic age! Don't trust again..what you are told by the government....research, research, research and make an informed choice!!
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2018, 08:41 PM   #23
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mainly Guide Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumathebear View Post
With all the responses...just ONE thing you better research...GAP...when you have med's you MUST take each month, Medicare will ONLY pay a certain amount then you hit the dreaded GAP. What that means, at least for me, I have to pay $5K (48% Medicare still in effect) out of pocket then I "qualify" for coverage (they call is Cathastrophic then no charge for prescriptions) the remainder of the year (until it starts over the 1st day of January.) Medicare will NOT tell you about this and your pharmacy?CVS for me will SHOCK YOUR POCKETBOOK when they tell you your Lantis Insulin is now $308 and Januvia is $160 per month until you reach the $5K max??? Oh, I also have United Healthcare as my supplement to help, but NOT much help with meds when you are in the GAP!!

DO your research and if you have a personal insurance agent, ask them who they recommend that have expertise in "supplement" health insurance??!! My company insurance was MUCH better than what I worked for all my life now....retirement and Medicare?? Such a RIP OFF, but better than nothing....good luck brother and I can only pray your health is ok...cause what YOU paid in for your lifetime is discounted when you reach that magic age! Don't trust again..what you are told by the government....research, research, research and make an informed choice!!
The gap... In right now also. Blue Cross second best policy - wife $5000.00 Me $5000.00
They allow around 2k each in Dr visits and meds and then throw down on the gap. $160.00 Dr visits. $500.00 tests. $360.00 for medicine this week.
Changing next year.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...........
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2018, 09:04 PM   #24
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmag View Post
I'm going to get A and B for sure, just wondering about additional coverages and which company y'all went with. I have a brochure from Signa showing some great eye, ear, and dental coverage and want to compare with others.
Before you trip the trigger, try Humana. That's what I have. Used to have Signa, and it was fine, but Humana is much cheaper for the same coverage. I've never paid a penny for my everyday meds, all generic, and I get 90 days worth at a time. I have zero complaints with either Medicare or Humana. Medicare is the only thing that government got right ! (But they still didn't ask me if I wanted to participate)
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2018, 09:27 PM   #25
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt

Hunt In: Erath County and Davis County Iowa

I will be going on Medicare December 1. I am staying away from any "advantage plan". These plans look attractive, but can end up costing you a lot of money. I am going original Medicare Part A, Part B, Medigap Part G thru Mutual of Omaha, and Part D for prescriptions. I have not chosen my part D carrier yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Arrowsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2018, 11:24 PM   #26
10-96inTexas
Eight Point

I'm in the same boat. I turned 65 in June. I've been getting so much mail telling me what I need to do, it is making my head hurt worse than it usually does. So far I have put off making any decision because my employer insurance (I still work full time) told me I don't have to do anything. I too am confused and looking for guidance. Getting old sucks but it's better than the alternative.
10-96inTexas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2018, 11:33 PM   #27
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Yea, I'm still full time at work too and it is covered 100% by the company so I ain't doin' none of this gubment crap until I have to. I enjoy my work, get paid well, I'm healthy and as long as the Lord blesses me that way, I'll keep working for Him in whatever I do.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 07:14 AM   #28
mudbone
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Look into AMAC, this is the alternative to AARP!!!
mudbone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 07:21 AM   #29
jlp04c
Six Point

it's tough,and the direct mail is crazy! .. we have 350 clients we take through open enrollment every year. There is no difference in premiums from having an agent navigate plans for you.. or picking the plans yourself. Some basic guidelines:
•Medicare is better and cheaper than most (all) employer health plans ( yay, upgrade)
•Get a F or a G supplement during your initial enrollment period, they are guaranteed issue, if you wait they are medically underwritten and you may not qualify. (Some conditions)
•F or G, always increase in premium, know this going in. If you can't afford it day 1, it will get tougher later.
•Because they are medically underwritten after the guaranteed issue period, it's maybe unlikely you'll ever switch F or G plan providers.
•Part D is disposable and can change annually (during enrollment) , it depends on your prescription drugs, and a thing called Drug ID
Shoot a pm if yall have any questions, I can get you pointed in the right direction, there can be several moving pieces!
jlp04c is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 07:49 AM   #30
Tmag
Pope & Young

Thanks guys, appreciate all the feedback.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:23 AM   #31
deerwatcher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Richland Springs & Washington on the Brazos

I signed up for part A when I turned 65. I did not sign up for part B until May of the following year when I got off of BCBS. I pay the max for part B because of my prior income. I also signed up for Medicare supplemental insurance through Farm Bureau. I did not sign up for prescription drug coverage as the cost of the two meds I take are significantly less than the cost for the coverage would have been. I had an HSA with a significant balance and I can reimburse myself for the part B premiums and the prescription costs as well as any out of pocket costs. I cannot however reimburse for the Medicare supplement cost as that is not an allowable cost for an HSA.
deerwatcher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top