Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Operator vs. Equipment

Just a quick PSA...

Sometimes it is the operator, and not the equipment. I should post this in the Tuning section, but figured it would be better here. Especially with a lot of people getting ready for bow season.

Trust your equipment! Sometimes it is operator error when it comes to shooting. Shooting form can also give false readings when tuning your bow. SO...before ever tuning your bow, make sure shooting form is correct!!!

I have always preached form, form, form after dealing with a ton of tuning issues a while back (which ended up being my form after having someone watch me). I did get a little complacent with my form since I thought it had become muscle memory by now. However, I have spent the past week breaking my bow down and re-tuning, then shooting, then re-tuning, then shooting, then re-tuning. It dawned on me yesterday, while bare shaft tuning, the IT WAS ME (my form).

I normally shoot at 30 yards, my groups started going to major crap. So I moved to 20, same thing. Moved to 40, same thing. Shot through paper, it was perfect. Shot through paper again, it was horrible. Put a bare shaft on, flew like a dart. Shot bare shaft again, it was horrible. That is when it hit me. IT WAS ME. I fixed my grip. Shot through paper - bullet holes, shot bare shaft out to 25 yards - stacked them next to field points. Pushed back to 40 yards with broad heads, BINGO.

So...I will say it again. Until your form is correct, tuning will be nearly impossible if you are doing it all yourself.

Now, I will go back to the basics and start trying to develop the muscle memory in my form again. If y'all are anything like me, when an animal walks out, I completely forget everything. It has to become instinct!

Hope this helps before we get started into another season!

Good stuff CnB. Its hard for me to not have a kung fu death grip on my bows...then torque at release. I feel like Queen Elsa...”Let it go...Let it go!” Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Byron

Comment

I like to shoot in my garage at about 7 yds almost daily. Sometimes it is a dozen arrows, sometimes more. I don't tend to worry about groups or hitting a small spot. Just focus on form and release. This has improved my groups at longer distances tremendously.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
        I like to shoot in my garage at about 7 yds almost daily. Sometimes it is a dozen arrows, sometimes more. I don't tend to worry about groups or hitting a small spot. Just focus on form and release. This has improved my groups at longer distances tremendously.
        Same here...and that is what I am having to do now. I shoot at 10, and focus on nothing but form, grip, and release. I have to burn it back into my brain.

Comment

But then shooting off a stool on the ground, leaning around a tree limb, it hard to use good form. But I agree with you.

Comment

The Cliff notes version ... You suck!

Comment

Good PSA, thanks

Comment

Shoot traditional. Other than brace height and proper arrow spine, it's all on you.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                  The Cliff notes version ... You suck!
                  LOL...until you find your bow and blow the dust off of it, I don't want to hear anything from you.

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
                    LOL...until you find your bow and blow the dust off of it, I don't want to hear anything from you.
                    I know exactly where it's at! I just have to take it out of the case!

Is your aoudad still on the wall? I figured you'd post a picture of it by now.
                    I'm stopping by the tannery later today; more stuff is ready!

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                      I know exactly where it's at! I just have to take it out of the case!

Is your aoudad still on the wall? I figured you'd post a picture of it by now.

I'm stopping by the tannery later today; more stuff is ready!

It is good! I figured I would wait to post pics until the deer was done since you said it wouldn’t be much longer [emoji12]

Comment

Dude.... get off the wakeboard and start shooting your bow!

Comment

Originally posted by D C View Post
                          Dude.... get off the wakeboard and start shooting your bow!

Ha! The only reason I wake board is to strengthen my bow pulling muscles! [emoji51]

I’m kicking myself now because I didn’t shoot as much as normal in the off season.

Comment

Working...
                          X