Talk me out of .308

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mohawkman View Post
    That’s why US Army, USMC, and most low enforcement agencies have used 308 since the end of WWII and still do out to 800 to 1000. They have been doing it wrong all this time. You certainly need to go straighten them out.

http://www.snipercentral.com/308-win...-62x51mm-nato/

I hate this argument so much. Your talking about the same entity that requested their be a magazine disconnect on the 1903 springfield to save money on ammo. The military doesnt decide on a caliber based on it being the best they base their decisions on it saving them money. And their love affair with the .30 cal and 5.56 is laughable. So many better options for hunting that are a million times better than both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nothing wrong with a 308 and is a ideal hunting caliber in my book. Practical and efficient in a short action. Mild recoil, works good in short barrels, plenty of factory ammo and easy to load for if you ever decide to handload. Neglible advantage for the 6.5cm out to 500 yards. If you are planning on Shooting 1,000 yards you have much better options.

The fact that military snipers in all branches have used the round for many years definitely doesn't prove it is superior, it just proves it is adequate and practical in the right hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
        1. My old chronograph sucks.
        2. My old chronograph did not do strings
        3. My old chronograph missed shots
        4. My old chronograph sucks
        5. My old chronograph does not do SD and I am too lazy to manually calc it.
        6. My old chronograph does not do multiple data.
        7. My old chronograph sucks.
        8. My chronograph was only consistent on overcast days.

I needed a new one and decided to go this way. And did I mention......my chronograph sucks.

That is how it helps.....better more consistent velocity data at the beginning of the arc. Down range is not why I got it. I got it because my chronograph sucks.

To sum this up.......my chronograph sucks.
        Have you ever had a chronograph that sucks?

Comment

I want to build a 270 wsm or 7mm wsm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Nothing wrong with a .308.

But if you decide you want a 20" 6.5 Creedmoor, I have one in the classifieds

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
              Have you ever had a chronograph that sucks?
              Now that you mention it........I have.

Comment

The 7mm-08 Remington out-performs the beloved 308 Winchester in head-to-head ballistic competition. So why isn't it more popular?

I don't have much experience with either caliber but found the article linked above interesting. I also don't know anything about the author. Good luck with your decision. Sounds like you can't go wrong with whatever you choose.

Comment

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
                  https://ronspomeroutdoors.com/blog/7...beats-the-308/

I don't have much experience with either caliber but found the article linked above interesting. I also don't know anything about the author. Good luck with your decision. Sounds like you can't go wrong with whatever you choose.
                  1. Those numbers are misleading at best, cooked at worst. Factory .308 ammo can push 165 gn bullets 2840+ MV.

2. And the synopsis: *slightly* better performance at 600 yds and *slightly* less recoil outweighs *much* better ammo availability because the author reloads. Well, great. So who is this for? An experienced reloader is probably not reading a primer comparing two of the most popular cartridges made... they're on the other blog reading 280AI vs. 28 Nosler.
                  Last edited by Balcones_Walker; 02-14-2018, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                    1. Those numbers are misleading at best, cooked at worst. Factory .308 ammo can push 165 gn bullets 2840+ MV.

2. And the synopsis: *slightly* better performance at 600 yds and *slightly* less recoil outweighs *much* better ammo availability because the author reloads. Well, great. So who is this for? An experienced reloader is probably not reading a primer comparing two of the most popular cartridges made... they're on the other blog reading 280AI vs. 28 Nosler.
                    Don't kill the messenger. Like I said, I don't have much experience with either. I just read the article and passed it on.

Comment

I'm not much of a long range shooter like some of these guys, but I have been really pleased with a 155 vld at my normal hunting distances out of a 24" Rem 700 5R. Never really stretched it out past 300 either.

Comment

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
                        Don't kill the messenger. Like I said, I don't have much experience with either. I just read the article and passed it on.
                        No doubt - my quarrel is with the author, not with you

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          Detracting from the original topic a bit but since you mentioned labradar, did you know that it will only pick up a 30 cal bullet out to 60 yards reliably and 80 yards on a perfect day?
                          Am I missing something?
                          Why or how would you expect a chrono to profile velocity down range?
                          I use mine to get accurate MV, as well as ES & SD to help you tighten up variables. I'm not trying to determine my own BCs, just feed the right starting info into a calculator.

Comment

im not a gun nut like most of you but how does a 6.5-284 stack up against a 308?
                            and keeping it within the parameters the OP is asking
                            just doing a quick search, it looks like the 6.5-284 slightly outperforms even the 260 and 6.5 creedmore. is this correct?

Comment

Don't do it...I tried.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                                Am I missing something?
                                Why or how would you expect a chrono to profile velocity down range?
                                I use mine to get accurate MV, as well as ES & SD to help you tighten up variables. I'm not trying to determine my own BCs, just feed the right starting info into a calculator.
                                The Labradar will give down range velocity to an extent.

But you are right. I got it for everything you stated and one more.

My chronograph sucks.

Comment

Working...
                                X