Searching for a youth model .223 or .243

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Searching for a youth model .223 or .243

I am going to buy my 8 yr old nephew a rifle for Christmas this year. I would prefer to buy from the green screen before going to Academy or Cabelas. I am hoping to spend $250-300 for a combo. Let me know what is out there!

I bought my son a Rossi 243 at 7 and I really surprised at how well it shoots. When I take a gun I always grab it over my other rifles.

Comment

Check out the Mossburg youth bolt action. Bought my son one 2 years ago in .243 and it is a tack driver. I did buy without scope and put a Leupold on it, but very good gun with adjustable stock to allow growth.

Comment

Ruger American ranch. I got one in .223 for my grandkids. Short barrel and lop. Not sure about .243 though.

Comment

The Savage Axis is a decent little rifle in that price point, and is available in those calibers and as a combo. It’s peobably worth the extra spend to get the version with the Accu-Trigger. But if money is tight, I recommend getting the little trigger kit I found for $17, made a world of difference in my son’s Axis.

By the way, get the .243, there is nothing it can’t do that the .223 can. Managed recoil ammo gets in the .223 “kick” neighborhood, and heavier ammo makes it a more efficient round for Deer. Believe me, I’ve kicked myself for almost a year now for going th .223 route

Comment

Working...
          X