Wife bought me this bow- need opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wife bought me this bow- need opinions

My wife found this bow at Cabelas on sale for $90, original was about $150 so she snagged it.

I'm shooting an old family 1960's Bear Kodiak and want a Bear Super Magnum after I retire this bow- waiting on my first WT buck kill with it before it's permanently on the wall.

Is this bow worth keeping for $90 or should I take it back.

I know nothing about this bow. It's only 45lb draw, I'm currently shooting 47lbs so I'm thinking I at least need to exchange it for a 50lb draw.

Any feed back is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see any issues!

Comment

How long is it? Have you shot it to see if it "fits" you? 45 lbs will punch through a deer easily.

Gary

Comment

I haven't opened the package yet. It says it's 62 inches total. That may be way too long for the west TX hunting I do. I use tripods and pop ups.

Comment

You can't have too many bows. I'd at least string it up and shoot it!! You may like it.

Comment

Possible rebranded Samick? If so you can get new limbs pretty easy and inexpensive.

Comment

Any bow from the wife is a good bow, at least if you want to keep getting bows from the wife...

Even if I never shot it, I would keep it, wives remember these things!

Comment

id keep it, those are essentially the same bow as a samick sage, it will be more forgiving than the bear you have, put a fast flight string on it, some silencers, a tuned arrow and you got yourself a very nice shooting bow....62'' is about the lowest bow length ill go, I hate short recurves, I understand they have hunting purposes, but once you get a decent bow around 62-66'' and see the consistency differences you''ll never shoot anything lower than 60'' to me at least

Comment

My opinion is the wife is a keeper, but I would exchange the bow for one a different weight than the one you are already shooting. Maybe 55 lbs.

But I wouldn't announce that I had exchanged it, I would just do it and she will probably never know. Of course, I am no longer married, so my advice is a bit suspect..

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
                    My opinion is the wife is a keeper, but I would exchange the bow for one a different weight than the one you are already shooting. Maybe 55 lbs.

But I wouldn't announce that I had exchanged it, I would just do it and she will probably never know. Of course, I am no longer married, so my advice is a bit suspect..
                    lol I did that when my wife bought me a recurve similar above that was on clearance for 50$ at our local archery shop, it had 30# limbs on it, I shot it for awhile just to use as my form bow but eventually traded out for 50# limbs to hunt with, she never knew

Comment

It might make a real good bowfishing bow. I'd keep it AND the wife

Comment

An inexpensive "back up bow" that is also a take down is never really a bad idea. I don't see a lot of difference between a few pounds of draw weight.

Does she shoot or own a bow? Might be a message there you're missing. Families that shoot together...get more hunting time.

Comment

That bow will work fine in West Texas hunting. I made a 62" longbow for a guy that's killed a whitetail and muley buck along with 3 good size porkies since October with it. Oh and its only a 46# bow itself. I would keep the bow, there is nothing wrong with having a good cheap backup bow. You never know you might have a friend who want to get into traditional and you could use it to get them started.

Comment

I have to go with, your wife and the bow are both keepers

Put a good string on it and shoot it, you may like. If it turns out it is not your favorite bow in the herd, she still can make a great bow fishing rig.

Comment

Don't get your wife into bow hunting. If you think one spot on a good lease is expensive . . .
                              Next you'll have to buy a second freezer.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X