Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deer Processing in Camp Changes to TPWD Law?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I’ve never done this but I thought that the law was you were allowed to process a deer beyond just the quarters if the deer meet was staying in deer camp.

During a conversation with a buddy this evening the topic was brought up. He said that TPWD now defines final destination as either a processing facility or your permanent residence. It specifically excludes deer camps from a place where a deer can be fully processed even if the meat is staying at that location.

Was I incorrect in thinking that the law used to allow further processing if the deer was going to be “camp” meat or has the law changed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how can they tell you where to eat a deer?

Comment

I'm guessing they do not want hunters eating the evidence....lol

Keep the tag with the meat and cook the quarters one at a time when cooked in camp?

Comment

Leave it quartered and whittle off what you want when you're going to cook

Meat processed in camp has to be done so for immediate consumption.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
          Ok, I’ve never done this but I thought that the law was you were allowed to process a deer beyond just the quarters if the deer meet was staying in deer camp.

During a conversation with a buddy this evening the topic was brought up. He said that TPWD now defines final destination as either a processing facility or your permanent residence. It specifically excludes deer camps from a place where a deer can be fully processed even if the meat is staying at that location.

Was I incorrect in thinking that the law used to allow further processing if the deer was going to be “camp” meat or has the law changed?

I don’t process my deer beyond quarters because I drop them off at a processor with the head but I understand why you would question it.

Comment

I've never understood why parks and wildlife cares so much about where people sleep the most often.

Comment

If you eat it then that would be final destination right?

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Keep proof of sex, tags and munch away.

Comment

I’m Not being a wise guy here- Call a game warden and ask him to explain. I’ve done that a couple of times. He’s your best source.

Comment

Id say if you are going to process it out to the point of steaks, ground meat, etc then it shouldnt matter if its deer camp or home as long as its staying in that freezer to be eaten there. Because that would make it the final destination.

But if that is truly how the law is written now, then I would call for clarification. I assume they are trying to stop deer from not getting tagged and instead processed on site?

Comment

The only way around it is to have a 'cold storage' at deer camp and that cant be a cooler

Right from TPWD

Processing in Camp
                        A deer and pronghorn may be skinned and quartered (two forequarters, two hindquarters, and two backstraps) for transport, provided the quartered deer or pronghorn is tagged and proof of sex accompanies the deer or pronghorn. (See Cold Storage or Processing Facility for exceptions). The four quarters and two backstraps are the only parts of a deer required by law to be kept in edible condition.

Tagging and proof-of-sex requirements continue to apply until the wildlife resource reaches a final destination AND is quartered. Deer or pronghorn may only be processed beyond quarters at a location that qualifies as a final destination.

While in camp you may remove and prepare a part of a wildlife resource if the removal and preparation occur immediately before the part is cooked or consumed; however, all tagging and proof of sex regulations apply to remaining parts until the parts reach a final destination.

Final destination
                        The permanent residence of the hunter; the permanent residence of any other person receiving the animal/bird carcass part of an animal/bird carcass; or a cold storage or processing facility

A cold storage or processing facility may be established anywhere, including on property where hunting is conducted. It must be stationary and designed to process and/or store wild game. A vehicle, trailer, or other mobile storage or processing arrangement IS NOT lawful.

Comment

Clear as mud

Comment

Kinda like that with cleaning fish.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                              The only way around it is to have a 'cold storage' at deer camp and that cant be a cooler

Right from TPWD

Processing in Camp
                              A deer and pronghorn may be skinned and quartered (two forequarters, two hindquarters, and two backstraps) for transport, provided the quartered deer or pronghorn is tagged and proof of sex accompanies the deer or pronghorn. (See Cold Storage or Processing Facility for exceptions). The four quarters and two backstraps are the only parts of a deer required by law to be kept in edible condition.

Tagging and proof-of-sex requirements continue to apply until the wildlife resource reaches a final destination AND is quartered. Deer or pronghorn may only be processed beyond quarters at a location that qualifies as a final destination.

While in camp you may remove and prepare a part of a wildlife resource if the removal and preparation occur immediately before the part is cooked or consumed; however, all tagging and proof of sex regulations apply to remaining parts until the parts reach a final destination.

Final destination
                              The permanent residence of the hunter; the permanent residence of any other person receiving the animal/bird carcass part of an animal/bird carcass; or a cold storage or processing facility

A cold storage or processing facility may be established anywhere, including on property where hunting is conducted. It must be stationary and designed to process and/or store wild game. A vehicle, trailer, or other mobile storage or processing arrangement IS NOT lawful.
                              So it sounds as if you can process at camp if you have a walk in cooler or can process and store meat in a stationary cooler or freezer. At least that is what I got out of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X