Protein consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein consumption

I know most of you will laugh at this because you deal with it every month. But I started protein last March and they have eaten a ton in 3-4 months. I filled it again on Dec 28 and went out this weekend to put up 2 more. Mine was empty! A ton in 35 days! I need a second job!

We had a lease in Angelo area, they would eat a ton in couple weeks.

Switched to cotton seed, they eat 6 baskets (300 lbs each) in a month.

Comment

You are stealing your neighbors deer. A year ago your property fed X number of deer. Now it is feeding X plus number of deer. The place next to us turned over hunting groups for 3 years before they figured out we had stole their deer.
      Keep at it.
      They will stay in a pasture for 90 days with out protein before wandering off. Nine months a year of feed gets you way more deer....

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
        We had a lease in Angelo area, they would eat a ton in couple weeks.

Switched to cotton seed, they eat 6 baskets (300 lbs each) in a month.
        Deer numbers sound way high. If ours eat a ton in a month that’s quick and it’s usually 6 weeks with cottonseed beside it. We start hammering numbers if it gets too soon. Neighbors feed also

Comment

No longer out in Angelo, went north and west in Mitchell County. I'll take high deer numbers for the area.

Comment

It depends on range conditions...if you have too much livestock, or it hasn't rained in, the deer will eat more protein. You might have the correct number of deer for your property and nothing is growing deer are going to hammer the available protein, but if it has been raining often enough and the temperature are warming up enough then weeds will be coming up and the deer won't come to protein....

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Murphey View Post
              It depends on range conditions...if you have too much livestock, or it hasn't rained in, the deer will eat more protein. You might have the correct number of deer for your property and nothing is growing deer are going to hammer the available protein, but if it has been raining often enough and the temperature are warming up enough then weeds will be coming up and the deer won't come to protein....
              I think the hard freezes have killed most browse. There is no livestock on the place. I have never seen the grass look as dead as it did this weekend. Even during August.

Comment

Originally posted by brianlg31 View Post
                I think the hard freezes have killed most browse. There is no livestock on the place. I have never seen the grass look as dead as it did this weekend. Even during August.
                I know what you mean about dead looking grass. Ours looks the same in San Saba. Between the 4 degrees we had & no rain for who knows how long, things definitely look dead. We put out 1000 lbs a month ago & the feeder was empty this weekend. Looks to have lasted about 3 weeks on camera. We put out 2250 lbs of protein this past weekend & topped off 7 corn feeders. I was tired of slinging sacks Sat afternoon. HOPEFULLY, we start getting some rain soon for spring.

Comment

Originally posted by brianlg31 View Post
                  I agree! 2 hard freezes has killed every bit of it.

But my protein consumption has remainded the same. Not eating very much yet

Comment

1500 lbs in the last two weeks out of two feeders on 100 acres in Rocksprings

Comment

First of all congratulations on starting to feed protein! As mentioned above, I highly recommend feeding cottonseed in addition to the protein. It is cheap and will help stretch your feed some. Feed the max that you can afford or are willing to do, and let mother nature take care of the rest. Good luck!

Comment

What looks like dead grass is hiding some green down near the ground. We do need some rain but the ground still has some moisture in it. We have some small winter weeds growing and we still have some acorns under the oak trees that the deer are having to scratch out....there's still food out there for them, they might not be hitting the protein but that means they are finding something else to eat that is better for them.

Comment

They are hammering the cottonseed and protein at our place. 1200 pounds of cottonseed is being consumed in a little under two weeks on 460 acres. Of course, we have axis running around and they come in groups of 10-12 at a time. You can watch the cottonseed levels in the basket drop several inches in the sequence of photos until they’ve had their fill and moved off.

Comment

south of rocksprings, i can pot out 100 pounds and its gone in less than 3 days

Comment

I’d also like to add that one ton of protein split between two feed stations is lasting about three weeks with cottonseed also in pasture. I imagine it would be consumed even faster if no cottonseed was available. It’s dry. We really need a good soaker to get spring started off in the right direction. Low fence central Edwards county.

Comment

Working...
                              X