Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tundra no doubt

Comment

As much as they ask for them, it’s amazing how many end up in the shop over and over

Comment

If you decide you want a Ford but don’t really want to step up to the Lariat you can get an XLT with the large screen in the dash and bucket seats (have to look a little to find one) and put in aftermarket leather. It is a way better quality seat skin for a lot less money. A friend of mine had that done and then he seats are way nicer than anything the factory has to offer in my opinion.

Comment

I was in the same boat as you, except I was coming out of a 2002 F150 FX4 with 250,000 miles that I passed on to my son. I was convinced I wanted a Tundra 4x4, b/c of their reputation for bullet proof reliability. Spent months looking for the right used Tundra 4x4 crew cab, since I couldn't afford a new one. Just never could find the right truck. Good deals were always snatched up before I could get to the dealership. I ended up finding a great deal on a Tundra, but had test driven a new Ford F150 FX4 a week before, just for kicks. My wife and I were blown away by the ride, comfort, and features. Test driving the Tundra after the Ford F150 made me seriously question my original plan to get the Tundra.

The Tundra I was considering was 3 years old with almost 36,000 miles on it, and it was priced very well. The Ford on the other hand was brand new, with the standard factory warranty, and the price was the exact same after all of the incentives and rebates. Plus, the available interest rates were lower on the new truck, and I could stretch my length of payments out a little longer as well, so the monthly payments were easier to swallow. I was still torn, since I had been looking at Tundras for so long. I started a thread on TBH, and asked the green screen brain trust what they thought was the best option. The overwhelming response was to get the new F150. I did, and have been very pleased with the truck so far. I got the V8 crew cab FX4, and have had no issues. The fuel mileage is amazing compared to my old F150, and I average 17.5 mpg mixed driving. I average 21-22 on the highway, with speeds between 55-65 mph. When I get into the 70-80 mph range, my milege drops to about 18 mpg. Most Tundra 4x4 owners I talked to told me they averaged about 13 mpg in town and 15 on the highway.

I don't expect the Ford to last as long as the Tundra, but the initial up front savings I got on the truck, coupled with the money I save on gas, will hopefully offset the durability issue. I also think I read the 2018 F150s will have a 10 speed transmission, which should yield better duel economy. I still love the Tundras, but Toyota seems to have just taken a seat back and relied on their reliability and brand loyalty to continue to sell trucks, which is not all bad. The problem is the other truck makers are being innovative by developing new advanced technologies and designs. If Toyota would update their Tundras other than cosmetically, they could really take some market share, in my humble opinion.
          Last edited by Bigfootwolff; 12-25-2017, 12:16 PM.

Comment

F150. Tundra isn't even close.

Comment

I love my Tundra. Everyone who rides in it seems to like it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Cantcatch5 View Post
                If you decide you want a Ford but don’t really want to step up to the Lariat you can get an XLT with the large screen in the dash and bucket seats (have to look a little to find one) and put in aftermarket leather. It is a way better quality seat skin for a lot less money. A friend of mine had that done and then he seats are way nicer than anything the factory has to offer in my opinion.
                Yep get the xlt premium then get aftermarket leather and save a fortune.

Comment

I have owned 6 F150s (was friends with the fleet sales boss) and every one of them failed me somehow during and out of warranty.

My wife bought me a 2011 Tundra and I am still driving it at almost 100k miles. The only replaced parts are front brake pads and tires. Seriously drives like new and I am hard on trucks. This is a daily commuter and hunting truck.

Do not listen to reviews to make your decision. Go drive the trucks and maybe even borrow or rent one if you can.

I am already planning my next Tundra, but I have two girls in college and quite frankly I will upgrade when my 2011 gives me a reason to.

FYI: After driving my Tundra, my hunting buddies: 2 chevy owners and 1 ford owner, upgraded to a Tundra.

My girl...
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	tundra.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	24523566

Comment

I just went through the same dilemma. I really like the Tundra and I have had 4 Toyotas over the years. The Tundra is great but I see more value in the F150. My brother and sister also have F150 supercrews, one has the 2.7 and one has the 3.5.

The 10 speed and 5.0 are a great combinatuon for '18. That's what I went with in a Lariat.

Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

I appreciate the great replies. I've decided to hold off on a purchase for now. The Tundra and Silverado are supposed to undergo a fairly major overhaul this year. If I could get an updated Tundra with a 10 speed tranny and better gas mileage, I'd probably go that route.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

We have nothing but F-150's, three now and dozens in the past. All with the 3.5 Ecoboost on these three and get good mileage and put them in rougher country than any of you will ever go into. I normally put close to 200 K on them before trading and have little to no problems except keeping them shod.
                        Ford jumped way ahead of the competition when GM and Dodge were having their financial problems.
                        Adios,
                        Gary

Comment

I'd hold out for the 2019 Chevrolets (sharpest looking truck in a long while) or the revamp of the Dodge Rams in 2019. They are both making huge strides in appearance.

Comment

I see you’ve decided to hold out, I don’t blame you. I recently bought a 2018 Tundra and had a little bit of buyer’s remorse when I saw the 2019 Silverado. I love my Tundra and everyone who has ridden in it loves it as well. Super roomy and drives great, I expect it to go 300K+ if I wanna keep it that long. The plan is to pay it off in 5 years and use that to buy another one with much lower payments. If you don’t haul things at the upper edge of the Tundra’s towing limits, the other trucks who can pull more are kind of negated. Bells and whistles don’t impress me as much as reliability and how it drives. Everyone I know who has a Tundra says it’s just as smooth now as it was when they bought it and the ride quality is amazing for a truck. The gas mileage is the only negative for me at this point.

But she sure is pretty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nothing gets the feelings hurt more than a truck thread on TBH!

Comment

Toyota Rules

Just bought a new 2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 in October. I've had Ford's, Dodge's and Chevy's. The Tundra beats them all. My only complaint with the Tundra is fuel mileage. Get's about 16 on the highway, but will pull a loaded 10,000 pound trailer and get 14.6. Go figure.

I love mine. Then again, the wife, my son and a daughter all own Toyota's.
                                I guess it's a family thing!

Comment

Working...
                                X