Axis at night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigL View Post
    I did and still don't see a reason he would be mad at someone for not breaking the law. The person whose hunting legal game by legal means didn't call him and report a false crime. Why should he be mad at the innocent person?

So should I call DPS tonight to let them know I won't be intoxicated or speeding? Or when they pull me over when I'm doing the speed limit and sober will he be mad at me because I didn't tell him I'm on the road?
    Couple reasons-

1. DPS won't be called out from home if someone reports speeding or DWI, on duty Troopers will respond. GW will be called out from home- more than likely at 1 a.m. after working a 12 or 14 hour shift.

2. The Outdoor Annual says, "Non-protected nongame animals and fur-bearing animals may be hunted at night with the aid of an artificial light on private property. If hunting at night, please make a courtesy telephone call to your local game warden."

They're asking for a little courtesy- I'm willing to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
      Two of my customers told me that they were on private land, spot lighting axis. GW came in and stripped their truck down and acted like a jack wagon.
      Yep I bet spotlighting “axis” lol

Comment

put me on the list!

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post
          I did and still don't see a reason he would be mad at someone for not breaking the law. The person whose hunting legal game by legal means didn't call him and report a false crime. Why should he be mad at the innocent person?

So should I call DPS tonight to let them know I won't be intoxicated or speeding? Or when they pull me over when I'm doing the speed limit and sober will he be mad at me because I didn't tell him I'm on the road?
          Maybe read post #31. Merry Christmas buddy, I never intended to upset you or anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
            Yep I bet spotlighting “axis” lol
            Found an empty beer can from two days earlier and it was over,lol.

Comment

Maybe read post #31. Merry Christmas buddy, I never intended to upset you or anyone else.
              I'm not upset. You said the GW would burn you up. My question was why? I'm following the law and he's doing his job. Why should anyone be upset?

Comment

Yes sir it is completely legal, I think for any exotic. I think I would be extra “clean” before I went though. My customers told me the neighbors had called the sheriffs office on them for spot lighting and the GW showed up mad. This was in Sisterdale last year near the river.
                Born and raised in Comfort. Been hunting axis on the river and other places all around Kendall County since they showed up and never once have I seen a game warden. Most of my friends who are farmers and ranchers around here hunt them at night if the time calls for it. Never thought a thing about it. Most of these same folks never pull a gun out for a whitetail. Why would they!!! If I am going to spotlight on my lease down south for whatever reason, I call the game warden, but never once thought about it up here. Maybe I should, but I believe so many people hunt them at night I don't think many locals call about a gunshot at night.

Comment

Originally posted by elliscountyhog View Post
                  Just common curtesy to let him know so he doesn’t drop his family dinner to come looking at a call for spotlighting from nieghbors.
                  Yes sir it's always a great courtesy to let the GW know when you are nite hunting.

Comment

I hinted axis at night once and they froze as done as the spotlight hit them. Sneaking up on them while driving a truck was the hard part.

Comment

Anyone ever hunted axis at night? Do they run or freeze when a light hits them? Or anyone have some good NV or thermal set ups? Farmer wants them thinned out as they are destroying the wheat but only coming in at night.

Yes GW is aware already and he is on board.
                      Just like anything else, start the light up high and lower it onto them. Then boom.

Second please take me with you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

All good!

Thanks for the info guys. Gonna try this next week a few nights. Anyone off next week with a good thermal or nv set up?
                        I have 2 thermal set ups. One is a 6.5 Creedmoor the other is a 6.5 Grendel. Also have a thermal handheld. I'm in frost so if your in Ellis county we're not to far apart. Shoot me a pm if your interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Williams4298 View Post
                          I have 2 thermal set ups. One is a 6.5 Creedmoor the other is a 6.5 Grendel. Also have a thermal handheld. I'm in frost so if your in Ellis county we're not to far apart. Shoot me a pm if your interested.
                          Message sent!

Thanks for the info guys. Hopefully can go put a dent in them

Comment

Just common curtesy to let him know so he doesn’t drop his family dinner to come looking at a call for spotlighting from nieghbors.
                            Yes, it's always prudent to extend "common courtesy" and give notice to a government entity who can seriously impose on your liberty that you are about to engage in a legal endeavor.

Comment

Have NV and ready to go.

Comment

Never hunted them at night, lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X