No announcement yet.

What does a Superslam cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best of luck to anyone willing go to the expense and effort. It's a worthy goal, and just the experiences along the way would be priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
      I don't even want to think about what I have spent chasing the super slam. Between the draws, buying hunts, equipment, time off work, etc it's a big number. And, I have only killed 18 of these 29. I would say if you are truly looking at cost and don't have sponsors it may be a very difficult goal to reach. I am going for it but I just keep picking hunts I want to do and species I wa to chase. Duplicate hunts just for fun have eaten up some time and money and repeat hunts to get a species have also been there. Took two trips for mountain lion and two for coues. I would have to think about the others. I have hunts booked to get me to 22 or 23 I believe. Then it really gets tough with things like polar bear, tule elk and now the caribou. You also have to consider premium/trophy hunts vs species hunts. I have always gone on hunts with the highest chance of success being first priority. It costs me too much money to miss work. Second, I want to kill mature, representative trophies. I'm not a record book guy but I am a collector. My way of doing things is expensive. But, going on 4 or 5 lessor hunts to get a species is also pricey.
      You could probably get some sponsors to help out. Heck I have bought some of my bow equipment based on your recommendations. You need to get paid for that! Have you thought much about it?

Comment

Last I looked it was between 400-500k but that was a while ago (8-10 yrs) and my burn for the slam has lessened. I'm only at 9 so there would be a long way to go and my priorities have changed

Comment

I have three friends who have done it so far. Jack Frost took the first with a bow, Frank Noska and Anna Voricek(just took the first as a woman with a bow). And at least one or two others that are close.

Its not just the money its a lifestyle choice. The demand of time away from home and family is huge. Some of these folks have had to go on multiple trips for some species. In fact one lady I know living here in Alaska has gone on three Dall Sheep hunts and still hasn't come home with one(using a bow).

Hugh

Comment

I'm only at 4 so far.

I have an elk hunt booked for August though, and I just put in some draw entries for 3 other species I've not killed before. I should be at 8 before the year is over, once I draw all those tags.

Comment

Originally posted by Hughiam View Post
              I have three friends who have done it so far. Jack Frost took the first with a bow, Frank Noska and Anna Voricek(just took the first as a woman with a bow). And at least one or two others that are close.

Its not just the money its a lifestyle choice. The demand of time away from home and family is huge. Some of these folks have had to go on multiple trips for some species. In fact one lady I know living here in Alaska has gone on three Dall Sheep hunts and still hasn't come home with one(using a bow).

Hugh
              You are right it takes a tremendous amount of time, effort, and planning not to mention money to accomplish this goal. I am friends with a handful of Super Slammers and you would never know it unless you asked them about it.
              My best friend is very close to getting his. The RM Bighorn is his nemesis.
              He has spent over 30 days in Canmore over a couple of years and has yet to connect. A lot easier said than done. Those slammers have my respect. I would love to do it but getting a little long in the tooth to start.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                I'm only at 4 so far.

I have an elk hunt booked for August though, and I just put in some draw entries for 3 other species I've not killed before. I should be at 8 before the year is over, once I draw all those tags.

You're way ahead of me...I'm at 1!

Comment

Well I have the whitetail, only 28 more to go!

Comment

This is how much it could cost. This is one of the coolest things I have found yet. The best part for me is over 200K was spent in Alaska. Should cost me around 10K total to do all the same hunts

Comment

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
                      I shared camp with a guy who was very close to finishing his. Wish I hadn't.
                      Why was he an ahole?

Comment

Originally posted by thebomb6_99 View Post
                        Why was he an ahole?

Let's just say his drive to kill a big animal ruined my hunt, so yes I would say he was.

Comment

Trying to stay somewhat realistic with myself, my personal goal is to accomplish the Super 10.

Guided a hunter this season that was at 21, and had the RM bighorn and desert bighorn booked. Said it was gonna cost over 100K between the two and only one was even partially refundable if unsuccessful.

Comment

Originally posted by deadeye_CBR View Post
                            Trying to stay somewhat realistic with myself, my personal goal is to accomplish the Super 10.

Guided a hunter this season that was at 21, and had the RM bighorn and desert bighorn booked. Said it was gonna cost over 100K between the two and only one was even partially refundable if unsuccessful.

Just do one hunt at a time and see where it takes you. On that trip I went on there were actually 2 guys I met who were working on the super slam with a bow. Both were down to less than 5 animals. (I had lunch with them on the way up to camp at the airport, we had just met.). Listening to them talk about it it didn't really sound fun. It sounded stressful.

Whereas on that hunt I was paired up with a guy who probably had 8-9 of the animals with a bow. He was a great guy and more interested in going on fun bow hunts than being obsessed with some obscure goal. At least that is the impression I was left with. Him and I are planning to do a trip in the future.

Comment

It's only money right?

Was watching Tom Miranda today and he was the first bow hunter to get all 29 species recorded on video. He has the funds and sponsorship to have the best hunts on earth.

What amount of money and time was spent doing that with a film crew tagging along on every hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
                                Just do one hunt at a time and see where it takes you. On that trip I went on there were actually 2 guys I met who were working on the super slam with a bow. Both were down to less than 5 animals. (I had lunch with them on the way up to camp at the airport, we had just met.). Listening to them talk about it it didn't really sound fun. It sounded stressful.

Whereas on that hunt I was paired up with a guy who probably had 8-9 of the animals with a bow. He was a great guy and more interested in going on fun bow hunts than being obsessed with some obscure goal. At least that is the impression I was left with. Him and I are planning to do a trip in the future.
                                Kodiak blacktail

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X