Question for you Pro's on fireworks pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for you Pro's on fireworks pictures

With 4th of July right around the corner I'm sure others as well as myself am curious about some basic tips or settings to use when shooting fireworks. Things like fast ISO low Shutter? Multi area focus or spot focus? Tripod, Monopod or Hand held?

Inquiring minds want to know... :-)

Fireworks shots are pretty much the same as lightning shots. It's easier with longer shutters, so you need low ISO and smaller aperture (bigger f/stop numbers). You also need a tripod. A remote release helps too. Manual mode works the easiest for me. You can either set a specific shutter speed, wait for the BOOM of the launch, and then hit the shutter button. Or you can use bulb mode. Click the button to open the shutter at the BOOM, and then click again to close the shutter whenever you think it's time (when the sparks start to die down).

These were all shot at 24mm or 25mm, and I was about 1/4 mile away from the launch site. You can work on framing the shot for your location when you get there. You don't want to be within 100 yards of the show - especially not downwind. You'll get lots of debris fallout if you get too close downwind.

If you want to have a blur of headlights and taillights, then set up with a road between your camera and the fireworks. I had to decide between no car lights in my shots or a quick getaway after the show. I chose the quick getaway.

ISO 100
    f/14
    8 seconds

ISO 100
    f/9
    5 seconds

ISO 100
    f/11
    10 seconds

ISO 100
    f/8
    3.2 seconds

Last edited by Shane; 06-30-2009, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Oh, and set your lens to manual focus and then dial it to infinity.

Comment

Good info to use! Thanks Shane.

J

Comment

Thanks for the info Shane. I see different apperatures- did you change that each time?

Comment

You're the man, Shane. Great photos.

Comment

Great topic question. As a beginner I thank you for asking, good info.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
                Thanks for the info Shane. I see different apperatures- did you change that each time?
                Not every shot, but sometimes. With faster shutter, you need bigger aperture. Just meter on the sky to figure out what f/stop you need for each shutter speed.

Comment

Working...
                X