Seeking info Mason Mountain WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking info Mason Mountain WMA

I was drawn for the Archery Deer at Mason Mountain WMA in October. Never been there and online info seems a little thin. The permit states that "primitive camping" is allowed by drawn hunters, or you can rent a bed in the bunkhouse for $20 a night. The hunt is Monday-Friday. Also, as I read it, there is no cold storage available at the WMA, but it says there is in town. I had my son on the permit, but he is having surgery, and will still be on crutches at hunt time, so I'm running solo.

I'm not the biggest fan of a bunkhouse (other than the fire station) so I was wondering if anyone had any info on local lodging or camping, the cold storage situation, or anything about the WMA in general. I believe the compartments are pre-assigned. I may try to find someone with a small camper I could take, but for the fuel cost dragging it down I can probably just get a room. I'd rather just camp though, this will probably be my only hint this year so I'm in for as much outdoors as possible.

Thanks for any info....

I don't know anything about the WMA but my lease is about 1/2 mile from it

Comment

Originally posted by FireMedic View Post
      I was drawn for the Archery Deer at Mason Mountain WMA in October. Never been there and online info seems a little thin. The permit states that "primitive camping" is allowed by drawn hunters, or you can rent a bed in the bunkhouse for $20 a night. The hunt is Monday-Friday. Also, as I read it, there is no cold storage available at the WMA, but it says there is in town. I had my son on the permit, but he is having surgery, and will still be on crutches at hunt time, so I'm running solo.

I'm not the biggest fan of a bunkhouse (other than the fire station) so I was wondering if anyone had any info on local lodging or camping, the cold storage situation, or anything about the WMA in general. I believe the compartments are pre-assigned. I may try to find someone with a small camper I could take, but for the fuel cost dragging it down I can probably just get a room. I'd rather just camp though, this will probably be my only hint this year so I'm in for as much outdoors as possible.

Thanks for any info....
      I would suggest calling the WMA. They are very friendly and can answer most of your questions. Also, if you search Mason Mountain on here you will see some good threads from past hunts there. Looks like a beautiful place. Congratulations!

Comment

It's been about 10 years since I hunted there. At that time there was a walk in cooler. The bunkhouse is really nice. More like a hotel. Many rooms, tv, refrig, stove, Hunting is really hard as they keep the population under capacity,, way under

Comment

I think "Bunkhouse" may be a relative term....this was a high fence exotic ranch before being donated to the state and turned into a WMA. From what I've heard it's quite nice and worth every penny.

Comment

Showoff... lol good luck man

Comment

The "bunk house" is pretty nice. There are 3 or 4 rooms with any where from 2 to 4 bunks in them, one room with more, a large living area, full kitchen and outside BBQ pit. 3 years ago it did have a walk in cooler. I have been out there around 3 times and my suggestion is to take a hang on stand with short segments of climbing sticks. Straight trees are pretty tough to find out there. Where I saw the most deer is around the edges where it drops off into the draws/canyons. Like normal if the acorns are falling find a spot in the middle of those trees. Also the last time I was there you could bait. But all things considered, in my opinion, it is one of the best public hunt places that I have experienced and the staff is great.

Comment

Son and I hunted there a couple years ago and the bunkhouse was great, bathrooms and showers available, beats the hell out of a tent. Up to 4 persons per room.

Comment

Originally posted by wfontjr View Post
                  It's been about 10 years since I hunted there. At that time there was a walk in cooler. The bunkhouse is really nice. More like a hotel. Many rooms, tv, refrig, stove, Hunting is really hard as they keep the population under capacity,, way under
                  I was gonna say, when I was there there was a walk in for sure.

It's a great place to hunt. Saw some monster bucks on our antlerless only hunt $20 a day is a steal for the bunkhouse, and I've never heard of it being so full if people that the one's there actually shared a room. I know it wasn't the trip I was there

Comment

Working...
                  X