2013-2014 Lake Lavon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2013-2014 Lake Lavon

I was reading through some old threads people had up on Lavon COE land but nothing recent and wanted to bring it back up to see who all has been and will be hunting out there this year, hogs of course. Just got my permit from the COE office today and can't hunt it until Sept. 1st but again I just wanted to see if anyone is planning on going soon and if you have been recently, any signs and what units are looking good?? I hear the hogs out that have been pressured into going very nocturnal, but I just wanna get out there and get my boots muddy again! Lemme know what y'all think?!

thought about just starting out in units 1,2,3 and 4 from what I read from previous threads.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-08-19 at 1.34.32 PM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	24233264

Comment

I live right next to Unit 2. Saw hogs driving a few nights over the law few months but haven't seen any hunting this year. Only been to Unit 2 and haven't hunted very much, so take it for what its worth.

Comment

Also looks like you can use a shotgun slugs on units 6-13 this year. Might go try that out.

Comment

10-4 gonna run out there sometime this weekend and give it a shot. Thanks for the info

Comment

With the lake level so low should be pretty easy getting around the edges of heavily used areas. I've seen a lot of 4 wheel traffic evidence but be careful if you choose to do this I've also seen the sheriff handing out tickets.

Comment

Been doin a lot of squirrel huntin up in #3. I ain't yankin your chain, but haven't seen any sign of hogs on #3. Not saying they're not there, I just haven't seen any sign. Now over on #2, seen quite a bit of sign.

Comment

There are plenty of hogs at Lavon you just have to know where to look. You also have to spend lots of time in the field.

There under a lot of pressure. I have heard people on private property shooting at the group of hogs that I have been stalking all summer as they make there way back to COE land.

I got 2 on the north east side of the lake on Saturday.

Comment

I've been working my way around lavon trying to find a place to hunt with my son. Would you mind sharing how you are hunting on Lavon?

There are 2 ideas I have. Either find a way to get to one of the creeks coming in from the north, or walk along the dry lake shore looking for signs. The lake shore route seems much easier.

Were can you get away with parking? Most places I see that I can park, may not be legal. I also came across several places where the fence had been cut and people were driving through. Some times it's not about what's legal, but what you can get away with.

Talked to the Ranger yesterday and he said you can use lights to hunt after dark, but no spot lighting. I'm picturing a generator and an array of 500W halogen work lights. I've never heard of setting up fixed lights while hunting. Does anyone here do this?

Comment

Just got my permit online! Ready to go!!!

Comment

Made a new friend while scouting Lavon yesterday. Watch where you step.

Comment

Comment

Thats a fat little sucker too

Comment

Originally posted by BassProJD View Post
                            Thats a fat little sucker too
                            Yeah, he was less than 3 ft long, but he was very fat. He was in a puddle in a dried up creek bed. It looked like he was sharing the trapped fish with a big snapping turtle.

Comment

Just an overweight water snake!

Originally posted by mschlott View Post
                              Looks like you kept at least a car length between you and that cottonmouth

Comment

Working...
                              X