Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venison roast

Roast is down for the long slow braise.

Removed the silver skin and then gave the whole thing a good coating of kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Let it sit at room temp for about 90 minutes.

Started oven preheating to 250 degrees

In my cast iron dutch oven on the stove at high heat added a couple table spoons of vegetable oil and seared all sides of the roast till nice and mahogany brown.

Set the meat aside and dumped in about 20 oz of Home brew stout that didn't carbonate and was only good for cooking. (I would normally use red wine but I didn't have any on hand and needed to use up the stout) Scraped the bottom of the pan to get up the fond. Added the meat back to the pan and added Beef stock to just cover the meat.

Lidded up and parked in the oven for a couple hours.

When it was coming up on two hours I quartered up a large onion and seared it in some oil to develop color and flavor. Same with some carrots (but not the celery potatoes or garlic.)
    Cut several stalks of celery and half a dozen potatoes as well as about 10 cloves of garlic (I like a lot of garlic)

Everything went into the pot. If you don't have enough liquid to just cover everything add equal parts beef stock and red wine. I added a bunch of basil and some parsley. I would normally use some rosemary but apparently I'm out of that too.

Back into the oven. I'm thinking 4-5 more hours. I'll salt to taste at the end.

I'll post up a picture when it hits the table tonight. Might need to pick up a loaf of french bread to sop the juices.

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

Tasted really good. Only problem was dinner got delayed a couple hours and the vegetable were a little over cooked.

Comment

Looks good

Comment

Yum

Comment

Working...
            X