X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any reports from last week's hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by wjm View Post
      Any word on how the hunt is going? How many standby hunters where there and got drawn?

9 cards were put in the hat for standby. 5 were drawn after a few groups didnt show.'im guessing about 30 people total showed up for standby.

Few nice bucks were shot unsure on exact number but maybe 20% success if I had to guess.

I saw one shooter for a few seconds and had one young buck (nice but young in bow range. Saw a few does and thats it and we hunted all day every day. But it was a leaning experience saw 2 coyote and ended up shooting a javelina.

Comment

Dont think the full moon helped. Had a few trail cams going and 90% of my pics were at night

Comment

Are they allowing you to use corn this year on the archery hunts? I'll be there 1/07 - 1/11.

Comment

Originally posted by slrodgers439 View Post
            Are they allowing you to use corn this year on the archery hunts? I'll be there 1/07 - 1/11.
            Yes...I carried a plastic grocery sack full each hunt. Dont lay out too much imo. At least when we were there full moon because they just ate it all night had a lot of pics from dark to 5am

Comment

Thanks for the info screaminreels. It looks like 1/07-1/11 will be near full moon again. I hope it is cloudy that week.

Comment

Those deer really like record rack golden deer nuggets, they have a good odor but we jb ever have been able to use corn.

Comment

How was the phone service there? Would like to do a live hunt if possible. I will be there the 7-11 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                    How was the phone service there? Would like to do a live hunt if possible. I will be there the 7-11 as well.
                    My cell phone worked everywhere, I have AT&T service.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
                      My cell phone worked everywhere, I have AT&T service.
                      Great to hear. I have AT&T as well. Maybe a live hunt will be doable!

Comment

Son got in standby on the thanksgiving doe hunt. Really cool ranch and first class staff. The ranch manager said this was one of he largest deer populations since the high fence was installed.

We didn't see a buck while hunting. We saw a doe each hunt and a javalina one evening. There was a 150 class buck just behind the fence about 300 yards from the main gate the first morning.

The campground was nice- but it's pretty noisy. Its close to the road and There were lots of oilfield trucks around the clock. I think the median on i35 may have been quieter.

We are going to try to go every chance we get. It's an awesome place.

Comment

That it is. If I lived nearby I would be at every standby!

Comment

Good luck to the January hunters

Comment

Originally posted by Czechoholic View Post
                              Good luck to the January hunters
                              Thanks! Ive been racking my brain making sure I get everything packed. For those of you who have been on this archery hunt, I would love to chat to get your take on things/strategies. Shoot me a PM if you have time today.

Comment

I found this about our hunt at Chaparral, looks like there are open slots for stand by hunters. It also has a map of the archery compartments, and what has been taken so far this years. https://www.facebook.com/ChaparralWMA

Comment

Working...
                                X