X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im on the right track then!

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
      Well i learned something new today. I have seen a lot of snakes but never one like this. Guess that shows how rare they are. My apologies guys/gals. Hard to let snakes go with kids that are so curious.
      You don't owe anyone an apology. If I had young kids I might have killed him too in my yard.

Comment

I let a rattle snake live that I caught this week. My sarge wasn't too happy when the bucket fell over in his Tahoe while running code to a fight though!!!! Lol

Comment

I say that since they are supposed to die not live. I am with ya. If my kids are in danger, and a non venomous snake can be dangerous. It may die, if I can not relocate it.

Comment

this is crazy!

Comment

My late great aunt would argue with all of you. She was 99 years old and had Alzheimer's extremely bad, thought I was my uncle, but she still knew "the only good snake is a dead snake". I'm the same way. I don't go hunt down good snakes but if I stumble across one and it bout gives me a heart attack, sorry buddy. Y'all shouldn't be admitting to the snake hugging...this is a family site

Comment

Y'all crack me up

Comment

dont have to check TBH opinions either

Originally posted by CRM_95 View Post
                  You don't owe anyone an apology. If I had young kids I might have killed him too in my yard.
                  co sign.

Comment

We have a pet corn snake and have always been snake friendly except when the venomous variety show up in the yard around the family.

It is a really good idea for all of us to educate ourselves on which snakes are good and which ones are venomous.

With that being said, I still scream like a little girl when I first see one before I found out the variety....LOL

Last week we caught this one in our yard.

That snake the OP posted was fine specimen of a quality king snake.

Laters
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Conway View Post
                      We have a pet corn snake and have always been snake friendly except when the venomous variety show up in the yard around the family.

It is a really good idea for all of us to educate ourselves on which snakes are good and which ones are venomous.

With that being said, I still scream like a little girl when I first see one before I found out the variety....LOL

Last week we caught this one in our yard.

That snake the OP posted was fine specimen of a quality king snake.

Laters

he doesnt look to excited about holding that snake

Comment

Only mistake you made was posting it on TBH.

I kill chicken snakes all the time. I have chickens and kids who tend to the chickens.

Comment

Originally posted by ckuehl View Post
                          So a question for the people that are "educating" this guy. What if this snake would have slithered on over and bit his kid. Would you all be so quick to just relocate it? I don't agree with killing every snake but sometimes they get cut up.
                          It would be highly unlikely to get bit by that snake.

Originally posted by 12RingKing View Post
                          Because someone dosnt have the level of knowledge of snakes dosnt make him less of a outdoorsman.

I think it's ridiculous how people get down on people for killing snakes. It's silly. It was a reaction I bet from a guy who wanted to protect his kids. He made a mistake.

Now teach him so he can teach his kiddos. I bet y'all wernt born with your knowledge.
                          I, along with most of the others, aren't "down" on this guy for killing the snake.
                          I am only "down" on people who refuse to learn anything about snakes. The OP seems to want to learn about beneficial snakes. A lot of people on this site do not want to learn and bad-mouth everyone with a different opinion than theirs.

Originally posted by MassMan View Post
                          I get that, but I also get those who are a little frustrated when someone posts a picture of one of the most beneficial and harmless snakes around asking for an ID after it's already dead. Not to beat up on the OP, but I have never seen a place full of people who love the outdoors with so many snake ID threads. What did you guys do as kids? I was out creek stompin' and snake hunting.
                          My thoughts also.

Originally posted by rladner View Post
                          That's awesome and wish everyone grew up like that. I grew up in a different state and had different snakes. I grew up outdoors but my kids are growing up in the city. I take them out as much as I can, but I don't come across snakes very often (thank goodness cause I don't like them ). Therefore my kids can grow up loving the outdoors, but not having the same experiences and outdoor education as you. If you learned your love for the outdoors as an adult, you are less likely to know all the reptiles, bugs and serpents as someone who grew up with it. Doesn't mean you love the outdoors any less, simply means you may be less experienced.
                          You don't have to know ALL of the snakes, simply learn to recognize the 4 that are actually dangerous in Texas. If it's not one of the 4, it's harmless. Take a picture of it and research/ask later if you want to know what it is.
                          Why kill it, then ask what is was?

Comment

I remember when everyone was kind of nice and the rude people would be the ones getting put down. Guess a lot has changed. I will never try to justify why I kill a snake.

Comment

The rude people are the ones who post on every snake ID thread with the "only good snake is a dead snake" crap.
                              You're entitled to your opinion. I have no problem with it if you're scared of snakes or whatever reason you use to justify blindly killing every snake you encounter.
                              The problem I have, is your opinion about snakes was not asked for. The poster is asking to identify a snake that he/she encountered. Your "dead snake" comments do not answer the question and do nothing to increase the value of the thread. It always leads to bickering/arguing back and forth.

Comment

How many more days to deer season?

That was a king snake but everybody already said that.

You will see me asking for snake ID cause all I had back at home where I grew up was garter snake! Y'all love me as a Yankee dude!

Comment

Working...
                                X