Spott Hog Father Pin Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spott Hog Father Pin Settings

Those of you shooting a multi pin Spot Hogg Father or Fast Eddie, what distances are your pins set at? From watching the set up videos it sounds like they’re suggesting 20, 40 and 60 yards. I’m setting this bow up for elk hunting so that seems like a reasonable set of distances, but also hard for me to visualize as the last time I had a multi pin sight it was set at 5 yard increments.

They also suggest using the bottom pin as the adjustable pin, what works for those of you shooting these sights?

You can set them for whatever distance you want; most use 20, 30 and 40 when in the 'home' position and use the bottom pin as the reference pin for any other distance.

Using the bottom pin will get you more distance out of the sight, that's why most people do it that way.

Also, you can use any pin for the reference pin, top, middle or bottom. Whichever pin you use as the reference pin is the pin you will use when the sight is in any position other than 'home'. IOW, if you wanted to dial it in for exactly 36 yards, just set the pointer to 36 yards and use the reference pin for that shot.

Most people set them up using 20 yards and 60 yards to find the tape; I recommend using either 30 yards and 60 yards or 30 yards and 70 yards. You will get a better tape this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
      You can set them for whatever distance you want; most use 20, 30 and 40 when in the 'home' position and use the bottom pin as the reference pin for any other distance.

Using the bottom pin will get you more distance out of the sight, that's why most people do it that way.

Also, you can use any pin for the reference pin, top, middle or bottom. Whichever pin you use as the reference pin is the pin you will use when the sight is in any position other than 'home'. IOW, if you wanted to dial it in for exactly 36 yards, just set the pointer to 36 yards and use the reference pin for that shot.

Most people set them up using 20 yards and 60 yards to find the tape; I recommend using either 30 yards and 60 yards or 30 yards and 70 yards. You will get a better tape this way.
      Another vote for 30 & 60 or even 30 & 50. Point being a 20 mark is really vague, so your best bet for a good tape is a 30 mark, then the furthest you feel you shoot consistently without your anchor etc changing.

Comment

Thanks guys, if you two both support this method then I’m good with it.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
          Thanks guys, if you two both support this method then I’m good with it.
          Another good tip is to use a level horizontal mark (I use blue masking tape) instead of a bullseye. No need to worry about left/right and you will be able to see what all the arrow are doing quicker.

I don't really know the mechanics of why it works better, but it does.

Comment

Another good tip is to use a level horizontal mark (I use blue masking tape) instead of a bullseye. No need to worry about left/right and you will be able to see what all the arrow are doing quicker.

Another tip I second lol. I set my L-Right on a vertical String at 5 yards, then each range mark I do with the masking tape. I think its just psychological, brain is only worried about 1 dimension, and its a foreign aiming paradigm so all our bad mental habits don't get triggered.

Comment

Originally posted by Loneaggie View Post
              Another tip I second lol. I set my L-Right on a vertical String at 5 yards, then each range mark I do with the masking tape. I think its just psychological, brain is only worried about 1 dimension, and its a foreign aiming paradigm so all our bad mental habits don't get triggered.
              Ok, so clarify for me on the process for picking a tape and then placing the tape on the site. So if I site in at 30 and 60, do I use the top pin for all this and then when I put the tape on, which pin do I place the tape on, the top pin at 30 or the bottom pin at 60?

I’m normally a pretty common sense person, but I’m having a hard time grasping how to place the tape so that I can use my bottom pin as my floater.

Y’all have been really helpful, I appreciate the help, it’s nice to get great support in this site from guys like y’all. I appreciate it.

Comment

IF you have a double pointer it doesn't matter which pin is the floater, each pin has a pointer. It does matter how you set up and apply the tape though.

Apply the scale from Spot Hogg on the dial, shoot at 30 yards, then 40 , then 50 then 60; make sure you have a good solid 60 yard mark. It does not matter if you use the top pin or the bottom pin, but it must be the same pin for the whole process. Then look at the number of the scale and pick the tape you will need.

Apply the tape with the pointer pointing at 60 yards.

This is the important part. The pointer that you put on 60 needs to be the pointer you have been using the whole time. IOW, if you have been using the top pin/pointer, apply the 60 yard mark to the top pointer.

Once applied you can use either pin for exact yardage since each pin has a marker. wanna use the bottom pin for 35 yards, set the dial; wanna use the top pin for 6 feet, set the dial.

In a two pin two pointer sight there really is no 'floater' pin (that's the beauty of two pointer sights).

All you have to remember is use the same pin and pointer when you are setting up, once set up and the tape is applied, use the pointers however you like.

Comment

I've been looking to get a similar sight. Thanks for the info here guys!

Comment

Working...
                  X