Ford vibration issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ford vibration issue

I have been fighting a vibration issue for too long... 2016 F350 work truck with ~115,000 miles. It only happens cruising between 72 and 80. Rides smooth as silk below and above that range. I have to hold it around 71 to keep my teeth from rattling....

I got new tires around the first of the year, and the vibration started a couple months after that. I’ve had Discount rotate and balance them three times since then, and the issue has only become gradually worse. Last week I had the Ford dealer inspect the front end/suspension components and balance the wheels themselves. They told me all checked out ok, that they balanced the wheels and there was no vibration. Excellent! I get the truck back, immediately hit the interstate, and surprise surprise there’s the shake at 72.

I don’t know whether to take the truck back to Ford or talk to Discount about some new tires.... Has anyone dealt with an issue like this before?

Thanks all.

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
    I have been fighting a vibration issue for too long... 2016 F350 work truck with ~115,000 miles. It only happens cruising between 72 and 80. Rides smooth as silk below and above that range. I have to hold it around 71 to keep my teeth from rattling....

I got new tires around the first of the year, and the vibration started a couple months after that. I’ve had Discount rotate and balance them three times since then, and the issue has only become gradually worse. Last week I had the Ford dealer inspect the front end/suspension components and balance the wheels themselves. They told me all checked out ok, that they balanced the wheels and there was no vibration. Excellent! I get the truck back, immediately hit the interstate, and surprise surprise there’s the shake at 72.

I don’t know whether to take the truck back to Ford or talk to Discount about some new tires.... Has anyone dealt with an issue like this before?

Thanks all.

Take it back to ford mine did it also. It’s the steering stabilizer shock at least on mine, they changed it and vibration went away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

If it started shortly after getting new tires, it is probably related to the tires. Did you get larger than OEM size or buy "cheaper" no-name tires? Vibration at speed is most often a tire that's out of balance. It could be a poor compound when the tire was made.

I'd see if discount can put a different set of tires on it, then test drive it. For grins, you can change the steering stabilizer shock yourself easy enough to rule that out.

Comment

If you have a buddy with a ford put his wheels and tires on your truck and see if it stops the vibration

Comment

Sounds like tires to me, doesn’t sound like the infamous ford death wobble that I’ve experienced on my 2012 F350.

My wife’s Yukon was doing almost exactly what your describing, had front end checked out, tires rotated and balanced, and alignment done, made no difference, put new tires on it, problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

One of the tires is probably out of round. You can have a tire shop shave them. Also get the tires balanced on the truck. Southwest Brake & Alignment in San Antonio does it. Cost $160 to have all 4 tires done and it works.

Comment

Sm ?

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
              If it started shortly after getting new tires, it is probably related to the tires. Did you get larger than OEM size or buy "cheaper" no-name tires? Vibration at speed is most often a tire that's out of balance. It could be a poor compound when the tire was made.

I'd see if discount can put a different set of tires on it, then test drive it. For grins, you can change the steering stabilizer shock yourself easy enough to rule that out.
              You sound like my local service manager

On my f350
              FSM “ those guys at discount tire are idiots your death wobble is from bad tires “
              Dct Sm “ we rebalanced your tires and found the problem “
              Me “ what’s the problem? “
              Dct Sm “ those idiots at ford keep blaming us for the death wobble “

When I drive my Silverado I don’t seem to get death wobble go figure
              Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 08-10-2019, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Does it feel like it's shaking the whole truck or just the steering wheel. If whole truck it could be your driver shaft.

Comment

My vote is crap tires or driveshaft.

Make discount change the tires out

Comment

If whole truck is shaking I'd check u- joints on driveshaft.

Comment

I had an older Ford that did that exact thing. Ran smooth till 60 or so mph then shook so bad you thought it was coming apart. Problem was one of the tires.

Comment

U joints carefully slip into neutral while its shake if its U Joints it should subside....

Comment

Working...
                        X