tacoma owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tacoma owners

Looking at getting me another hunting/fishing truck always had full size trucks.
    So I need to know how well or if a V6 Tacoma will pull a zx-21 Skeeter. I'm guessing fully loaded trailer, engine, boat, fuel, and all my gear 3500 to 4000lbs. be about a 30 mile trip to Rayburn or 45 miles to Toledo normally. Lots of steep hills on 69 north though.

I wouldn't recommend it. I had a 2017 TRD Tacoma for 5 months and got rid of it. The new motors, combined with the auto transmission, don't have the power to tow. It shifts all the time.

I pulled a 10' single axle trailer with two dirt bikes on it and it was terrible.

All the above it just my opinion. I am a huge Toyota fan, but I think Toyota missed the mark with the current Tacoma.. (currently own a '17 4Runner and '84 FJ60 Land Cruiser. Previously owned 5 other Land Cruisers) I would recommend going to a dealership and driving one. Paying close attention to the characteristics of the motor and transmission.

Comment

Yes, I pulled a 21ft pontoon and now a 22ft bay boat. Just eats gas like nothing else. I get like 6mpg pulling because that v6 is working so hard.

Comment

Originally posted by waverider View Post
        I wouldn't recommend it. I had a 2017 TRD Tacoma for 5 months and got rid of it. The new motors, combined with the auto transmission, don't have the power to tow. It shifts all the time.

I pulled a 10' single axle trailer with two dirt bikes on it and it was terrible.

All the above it just my opinion. I am a huge Toyota fan (currently own a '17 4Runner and '84 FJ60 Land Cruiser. Previously owned 5 other Land Cruisers) I would recommend going to a dealership and driving one. Paying close attention to the characteristics of the motor and transmission.
        For sure have to pull in 4th gear and not tear up the roads 65mph tops or you will be shifting like crazy.

I agree with you though, pulling is NOT their strong point!

Comment

Tacoma will pull it for sure I have pulled more with my Tacoma than I have with my V-8 dodge. Gas mileage is going to suck though, but pulling it should not be an issue.

Comment

I have a 2017 Tacoma pro and love the truck.
            It really works hard to pull my 22’ aluminum boat.
            I would not want to have to pull a skeeter with it.
            Just like my 1 ton dually was not worth a flip off road, the Tacoma is not much of a pulling machine

Comment

Originally posted by waverider View Post

All the above it just my opinion. I am a huge Toyota fan, but I think Toyota missed the mark with the current Tacoma.. (currently own a '17 4Runner and '84 FJ60 Land Cruiser. Previously owned 5 other Land Cruisers) I would recommend going to a dealership and driving one. Paying close attention to the characteristics of the motor and transmission.
              I have an 05', maybe different but good to know thought about buying new. But I have a hard time spending that kind of money on something that is not full size.

Comment

actually looking at used 2002 to 2010 models, if that makes a difference. Far as fuel mileage I doubt the half ton dodge I pull with now gets better than 8 or 10 pulling the boat.

Comment

Would manual transmission offer any advantage over the auto? I would assume it would tow better with a manual.

Comment

I had a 17 and it was kinda a dog, it’s that Atkins motor. My wife’s 4Runner had way more umph.

Comment

Just like so many on here post - you don't hear of many people saying (my truck is just too powerful or my shop is just too big.).

i would not recommend it. if you were hauling some lawnmowers or light duty, sure. get the right tool for the job.

Comment

Originally posted by BarW View Post
                        Would manual transmission offer any advantage over the auto? I would assume it would tow better with a manual.
                        Just don't pull in O/D and that helps alot

Comment

I pulled a 19 ft Skeeter with my 2007 Tacoma. Got about 10-12 MPG, but pulled pretty well even at 75 mph. No ramp problems. Didn't live by hills much. Wasn't a 21 ft boat though.

Comment

TTT

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Comment

I personally would get a Tundra if you are going to be towing much. I have a 2018 Tacoma TRD OR with 33's and it runs pretty good, but it is a 6 speed manual. I am on Tacomaworld forum and its a lot of good info for you if you want to take a look.

Comment

Working...
                              X