No announcement yet.

Balcones Canyonlands NWR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr Raider...see if you can get the handicap blind. Apparently that area is a brothel for deer.

I had a buddy get stuck in the blind closest to the gut pile...be aware.

Lago Vista deer are comparable to medium sized dogs at best.

Comment

Be Ready

Originally posted by Yakinthebox View Post
      What was your experience then? Any luck, did you see much activity at all? After reading up on this hunt a bunch, I've tried to curb my expectations...
      Try to scout and place your stand or hunt where these trails or activity are located. You have to be ready to assess shot and shoot pretty quick. No baiting allowed So deer are usually on the move when you see them. Unit 1 had some high grass areas, but typical hill country...

Comment

Spoke to someone at the WMA and she said hunting by the neighborhoods should be good since they feed. This hunt should be looked at as a meat hunt and not horns. The goal is to reduce the herd and grow larger deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Budman68 View Post
          Spoke to someone at the WMA and she said hunting by the neighborhoods should be good since they feed. This hunt should be looked at as a meat hunt and not horns. The goal is to reduce the herd and grow larger deer.
          Not trying to burst your bubble, but just from the stories I’ve seen here, this hunt is more of a “you’re lucky” to see something kind of hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
            Not trying to burst your bubble, but just from the stories I’ve seen here, this hunt is more of a “you’re lucky” to see something kind of hunt.
            Thanks, it's close to home and for $80 I get to hunt something different. I have Chap later on in the week, so it will be a good warm up.

Comment

I hunted this last year. Was in Unit 7. Parked at 7D. Got some high ground where I could see over a mile easily. Sat and glassed for 2 straight days. Saw 1 sounder cross the main road the first afternoon, nothing the rest of the trip. I have some picture from the area I was at if someone needs them.

The unit I was in had 1 doe, and two turkeys killed. That was between 10 hunters if I remember correctly.
              While working my way through thick stuff to get high ground, I found areas that a person could easily harvest pigs if the wanted, I just had no desire to. If someone gets 7D feel free to reach out. I will provide what I have from last year.

It is a beautiful place, and it was nice to get out in the wilderness a few days, but I did not apply for that hunt this year, and I highly doubt that I ever will again.
              Attached Files

Comment

Mainly posting to follow this thread. Long time lurker and finally decided to make an account.

I drew this hunt for Nov. 13-15th this year and will likely be my first chance to sit for the season. Most of these posts aren't giving high hopes, but I'll plan to be out there regardless. Close to family so it's a multi purpose trip and gets me away from an office and computer.

Comment

Has anyone received their hunt compartment assignment yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Yakinthebox View Post
                    Has anyone received their hunt compartment assignment yet?
                    I have not. Hoping it is sometime soon so I can start researching.

Comment

Originally posted by NDN98 View Post
                      I have not. Hoping it is sometime soon so I can start researching.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing it.

Comment

This was my experience in 2016 on Unit 1 from an earlier post

I enjoyed my time in Unit #1. There were some issues, but they didn't involve me. One of the hunters had set up a pop-up blind on the scouting day Nov.17 and they found it missing/stolen when they came back on Friday afternoon. I am wondering if people wait for these public hunts and the gates are unlocked.

I didn't see that many deer while hunting and when I did, they were moving. You need to be ready to shoot standing up. I ended up harvesting a doe right after I packed up my pop-up. Then right after I field dressed her a small 6 point came about 30 yards away. I chose to hunt in an open area where I had several lanes of view. It worked out pretty well, but you need to be prepared for deer to pop up pretty quick due to the trees and tall grass. An elevated stand would be ideal for this area. There's plenty of hogs moving through the area, but I imagine it's all during the night time.
                        by cellphone
                        My stand was:30°38' 46.6" N 98° 05' 30.7" W

I never went down in the canyon area, too rough for this old guy and I can't imagine getting a deer out without major exhaustion. There's plenty of areas to look down in the canyon, it's a nice view and may be able to see something below in some of the meadows.

Here are two spots for views into the canyon:

30°38' 44.8" N 98° 05' 36.8" W
                        30°38' 43.5" N 98° 05' 35.4" W

I walked the fence line on the south side near the canyon. it looks like a good spot, but really too close to the fence line to be confident.

I thought it was a good hunt for the amount of time allowed to find the deer. I always enjoyed walking through the trails, finding out where the animals are headed.

I think most if not all the standby positions got filled. Not sure how the other Units fared. Hoping to hear any news.

Comment

What is the protocol to follow if you are lucky enough to bag a deer?

Comment

Standard game laws, use your tags but you do have to fill out a card at the entrance of the unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Jibby View Post
                              Standard game laws, use your tags but you do have to fill out a card at the entrance of the unit.
                              We use our own tags? That is good information. Different from all the other draw hunts I have been on.

Comment

NWR hunt

Originally posted by .270 View Post
                                We use our own tags? That is good information. Different from all the other draw hunts I have been on.
                                They should of emailed you some guidelines. Also it's a NWR hunt not TPWD WMA hunt.

Also, They posted a youtube video for hunt orientation recently by Jen Brown.

Comment

Working...
                                X