Scheels in The Colony archery department

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scheels in The Colony archery department

Went by scheels last weekend to get a QAD installed and serving redone. I know I know support small shops but it was a Sunday and I figured I’d give them a try . A bow tech named Wayne Curtis helped me out . Installed a QAD and reserved my string with new d-loop and put a twist in my string to align my peep. Several of the archery staff there worked at local archery shops previously . Very knowledgeable and helpful people over there. Their hours of operation is what is a huge plus for me. Wayne did an awesome job on my bow and was a pleasure to chat with. They also have a great selection of bows and accessories. Just thought I’d share.

Always loved Scheels when I lived up in North Dakota. They carry all the big brands and the salespeople were always knowledgeable. Only downside is they charge FULL prices. Typically I just went there to try out what I wanted to buy then bought elsewhere for cheaper.

Comment

This is good to know! I was just there picking up a new target an B3 release. I love Gateway in Fort Worth but coming from the northern burbs, it makes it tough getting there at times. I need to get my string twisted too to bring the peep back in alignment so I’ll give them a try.
      Last edited by Code; 08-16-2020, 02:12 PM.

Comment

From what I heard Scheels basically hand picked alot of the good archery techs from the metroplex..

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
          From what I heard Scheels basically hand picked alot of the good archery techs from the metroplex..
          I can see that being true . 2 I talked to were from a DFW Mathews dealer

Comment

Are new up there? I recently found them while looking for reloading powder. Good price and fast service. Now I get their mailer.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
              You reckon they sent out a scout to find these guys?

Comment

I was amazed how knowledgeable everyone who works there is. I was shopping for some higher end pants like Prana and Kuhl. The girl helping me knew exactly what she was talking about on 3 different brands of pants and multiple different styles for each brand. After about 30 minutes of her helping me, I had settled on some Kuhl Konfident Air pants. I mentioned that she was extremely knowledgeable on these “niche brand” clothing items and I was honestly shocked. She told me that everyone there goes thru some pretty extensive product training in the department that they will be working in. It’s a very nice change compared to the service (or lack of) you receive most places.

Comment

We went there today. That place is crazy big! Were on a tight schedule, will have to go back when we have more time. It did look like the archery department was pretty well stocked.

Comment

Interesting..I had a very different experience and am hesitant to have scheels do any work on a bow after my arrow “incident”.

I bought 6 arrows and had them cut to 29.75” (throat/valley of the nock to the end of the shaft).About a week later they were running a sale, so I decided to buy 6 more and requested the same length to match the original batch. When I got home they were half an inch too long. Decided to go back up there to have them fix it and check out some binos. I brought one of the original arrows to use as a template(thinking surely the tech would measure shaft to shaft) so they all matched. (The originals had inserts installed). The second batch was again not cut to the desired length, but instead cut to the length of the template with the insert. (About 1/8” too long). At this point I took the arrows and shook my head. I know 1/8” isn’t that big of a deal, and shouldn’t mess with tuning much, but still. I want all my arrows at least cut to a uniform length across the board. If I’m not mistaken, ****ed arrow saw has a measuring tape on it.

I don’t remember the tech’s name, but I dang sure would not ever let him touch my bow. It’s obvious he was either inexperienced or just had a really off day where his brain didn’t work.

I took Scheels branded arrows to Cabela’s in Allen and gave the same instructions to their tech. I walked out with arrows cut to my desired length - free of charge. They’re all uniform now and at 29.75” throat of the nock/valley to the end of the shaft.

Results may vary - hopefully if I decide to use any of Scheel’s services in the future my experience will be positive.
                    Last edited by TexasArchery_27; 08-16-2020, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Cinnamon creek has better inventory, prices and staff. It’s worth waiting or an extra 20-30min drive in my book.

Comment

Is Wayne Curtis an older fella, kind of short and cowboy looking?

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                          Cinnamon creek has better inventory, prices and staff. It’s worth waiting or an extra 20-30min drive in my book.

Depends on where you live. I love CCR. that’s where I bought my bow and the only place I take it to have any work done, but if I’m just looking for something off the shelf, I can’t justify the extra hour and a half drive(45 min there + 45 min back)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by muddyz View Post
                            Is Wayne Curtis an older fella, kind of short and cowboy looking?
                            Yes. He is good bow tech and a good guy. He used to work at All Star Archery in Lewisville. Wayne and his son have shot ASA with us in the past.

Comment

Wayne is a good dude!
                              He will take good care of ya.

Comment

Working...
                              X