School me on the Nosler family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on the Nosler family

So Ive gathered up all the parts for my next rifle build except for the barrel. Looking for a long action, magnum bolt face cartridge that will be my “end all/be all, kill big game at 1000 yards if given the chance” rifle. I currently have hunting rifles in 6.5 GAP 4S, 6.5-284, 30/30, 308 and .270and range guns in .300 win mag, .300 Norma, 6.5 Creedmoor, .308. So I’ve narrowed it down to a 28 or 33 Nosler. Ammo cost is similar, though this is a strictly hunting gun, so I’m not considering ammo cost. Barrel cost is the same. I’ll be hunting suppressed 99.9% of the time. What I really don’t know is KE and ballistic advantages of one over the other. I’ve shot the 28 on the range and have been impressed, but I really like the idea of a 2-300 gr pill over the Berger 195’s for energy at distance.

So what are y’alls thoughts? Did I miss anything in my criteria for narrowing it down?

And you expect to ethically kill and find the animal...Wow

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
      No, wounding and wasting meat is more my style. I guess I shouldn’t have asked, and just used the 17 HMR for everything.

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
        What part of his post suggests that he won't do it ethically?

Comment

The 28 carries the BC advantage without much change in bullet weight.

Comment

From the limited data I’ve found, the 265 grain ABLR (BC of .778) has 2165 ft/lbs at 800 yards, but I can’t find any data regarding energy at distance for the 195 gr Berger.

Comment

Don’t understand what’s unethical? Wow....some people

Comment

Originally posted by Dod View Post
                Don’t understand what’s unethical? Wow....some people
                So if I’ve shot 1/2 MOA (that’s around 5”, if you weren’t sure) at 1000 yards with the rifle before hunting, and have more energy at 800 yards than a 300 win mag at 300 yards (most people would call that overkill for Texas hunting, if you weren’t sure), then what part is unethical? That I was too far away for the animal to give me a proper look over or smell me? I’m really confused here. If you could provide some numbers or something to clarify, I would appreciate it
                Last edited by oneisnone; 12-29-2017, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oneisnone View Post
                  No, wounding and wasting meat is more my style. I guess I shouldn’t have asked, and just used the 17 HMR for everything.
                  wonderful response!!!!!!!

Comment

How many threads do we have about using a .223 on deer or a 6.5 on elk, and everyone loses their mind. I post about wanting to use possibly to much bullet, and everyone is all of a sudden on the “less is more” train

Comment

How many threads do we have about using a .223 on deer or a 6.5 on elk, and everyone loses their mind. I post about wanting to use possibly to much bullet, and everyone is all of a sudden on the “less is more” train
                      I think there has only been one naysayer...

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                        I think there has only been one naysayer...
                        You could be correct.

Too anyone that I responded to negatively due to misunderstanding, I apologize.

To get back on track, I’m still honestly asking for some long range data regarding energy for the 195, 225 and 265.

Comment

Reloads for 28 Nosler
                          195 Bergers

Carries a ton of energy
                          Pokes holes in AR steel at 300

It leaves my 30-378 weatherby in the dust

Comment

I have seen the 28 Nosler kill a bunch of animals. From Asiatic Water Buffalo and American Buffalo to eland and Wildebeest. It performs well out to 1000yards and have seen it shoot well at 1200 yards. The last thing I saw killed with the 28 was a wildebeest shot at 387 yards and it went only 30 yards after the shot. The rifle combo was a Champion Arms 28 Nosler with Huskemaw 5-20x50 scopes.

Comment

From the limited data I’ve found, the 265 grain ABLR (BC of .778) has 2165 ft/lbs at 800 yards, but I can’t find any data regarding energy at distance for the 195 gr Berger.

Be careful, ABLR has been proven to be way overstated on BC. Most times being lower than the Berger bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X