New pit/smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New pit/smoker

I got this pit from my cousin who was going to trash it. It's 48" x 24"x 1/4". I want to convert it to a smoker. Follow along

This is what I started with. On Saturday I placed a couple of plates on the bottom side where it was rusted out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I did on Sunday. I put legs and casters.

Comment

New pit/smoker

Now this is where I'm stuck. I have another BBQ pit that is 28"L x 14" diameter and 5/16" thickness, that will be used as a fire box. Will this be big enough? Considering the size of the cook chamber.

Comment

Looks good to me no help with advice though

Comment

I could be wrong but I think you want the firebox to be at least the same diameter as the pit itself.

Comment

From the sound of it, the firebox is a little over half the cubic feet of the cooker. I can't imagine it would not be big enough. (48x24 vs. 28x14) Are you concerned about heat or draw?

Comment

I think it will be just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by TejasNW View Post
                From the sound of it, the firebox is a little over half the cubic feet of the cooker. I can't imagine it would not be big enough. (48x24 vs. 28x14) Are you concerned about heat or draw?
                Both. What determines the draw? And concerned that I will end up having to keep feeding the firebox to keep a high enough temp.

Thanks

Comment

This is a very handy tool. You may wanna look for a bigger piece of material for your firebox. I think you will be disappointed with using the 14" piece of material since you will only be at 50% of recommended size.

Comment

Nice

Comment

I would think it would be big enough. Might want to think about removing one of the smoke stacks so less heat is loss. Also, next one I build I think I am going to put the smoke stack out of the middle of the side vs the top, thinking it would hold heat better that way.

Comment

I think the firebox will work. might want to rethink the smoke stacks and put them just below the cooking grate instead of out the top of the smoke chamber.... just my thoughts

Comment

I just built one last year, 24" x 72" with a 16 x 36" firebox. It's not big enough. It goes through wood like a fat kid through cookies trying to keep 350 or better. Also, your stack doesn't look big enough although I can't really tell what size it is. I would only have one and have it on the opposite end of the firebox. Mine is 5" ID. I'm going to replace my firebox when I find the right piece for it. As always, this advice is worth what it cost.

Comment

Ive never seen a pit where the firebox wasn't at least the same diameter as the pit itself. OP, I would go big, last thing you want to do is to go through all that trouble and then have to cut it off and start over anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean View Post
                              http://feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html

This is a very handy tool. You may wanna look for a bigger piece of material for your firebox. I think you will be disappointed with using the 14" piece of material since you will only be at 50% of recommended size.
                              I have built a few pits, and I used this calculator on each one. IT WORKS!!! From my experience, this is way too much work to guess at things like fire box size, intake size, exhaust size, exhaust length, firebox to cook chamber opening size........

Another thing.....on the next pit you build, cut you door at or lower than the centerline of the tank. You gain a whole lot more cooking space like this.

Comment

Working...
                              X