Siding for small cabin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Siding for small cabin

Fellow Greenscreeners, quick question for ya..

I'm building a small cabin primarily to be used as a showerhouse / bathroom out at the ranch. Finished framing this weekend so I'm at the point where I need to select siding. I was thinking about that grooved T1-11 wood panel siding that you often see on sheds but a buddy suggested Hardi board instead (lasts longer and no sheathing needed). Was wondering if y'all had any other suggestions.

Thanks

Hardi is really your only option for siding with little to no maintenance.

Comment

Smartboard

Comment

Originally posted by Crazzy View Post
        Smartboard
        X2. Already primed. Have some on a shed I built in 2010. Still going strong

Comment

What is smart board?

Comment

Originally posted by alwaysinshorts View Post
            What is smart board?

Comment

Good write up..

Comment

Built my lease cabin with smart panel for the exterior siding in 2011, still looks like new.

Comment

Hardie, you won't be sorry.

Comment

Used Smartsiding on my cabin...it's a 50 year product so if it goes bad in 50 years I won't be around to worry about it.

Comment

We used hardie on all our new builds and remodels at the deer camp. It gets really dry in Sutton county so I like that the hardie is fire retardant.
                      Last edited by Stolle; 03-28-2017, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Does the smart siding require plywood underneath or can it be fastened directly to framing studs?

Comment

Originally posted by Crazzy View Post
                          Smartboard
                          I believe that Smartboard has a better warranty than Hardiplank. My daughter had it put on her house.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastro View Post
                            Does the smart siding require plywood underneath or can it be fastened directly to framing studs?
                            To the studs is fine, same as Hardiplank

Comment

I used SmartSide on my out building 10 years ago and it is still like new, including the bottom, where it gets hit with the liner trimmer every week! I even have some scrap form that job that has sat outside for the same 10 years, and has been in the rain, snow, ice, and heat, and the OSB side is not peeling or flaking, except for a tiny little bit on the exposed cut edges. It isn't cheap, but pays for itself in longevity.

cricman

Comment

Working...
                              X