Blood Tracking Breed Opinions!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blood Tracking Breed Opinions!!!!

I have read through multiple blood tracking threads on here and all over the internet. Wanting real world opinions on a few breeds. As I have narrowed them down, but I know most breeds can do this.

Teckel
    Jagdterrier
    Jack Russel Terrier
    Standard Rat Terrier (Bigger Rat Terrier)

Odd Ball, Rhodesian Ridgeback because the wife wants one.

I know with proper training most dogs can track. I am looking for a dog that I can blood track with as well as be a house companion.

I have looked into the Jagdterrier for a while, at the top of the list but alot of breeders will scare you off because of the drive/grit one has.

Just seeing everyone's opinions on these breeds. I know bloodhounds, lacy's, and others will work but I do not think these dogs would fit into our household. Looking for more of a smaller breed, but these are what I am most open about.

I’m biased

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Jagd will get it done but may not be the pet you also want.

Comment

Just curious why you don’t have a lab on your list?

Comment

I have a jagd ( my first ) and she is a 20# hunting machine, she has zero fear and does not get along with other dogs well, however she is great with people and kids and has a TON of energy. I keep mine pinned outside while we are at work as I'm afraid she'll eat my wife's lap dog [emoji16]. The breed is just crazy, the dog will climb a tree after a squirrel , track a deer, ride all day on the mule, go fishing with me, obedient , but then a light switch goes off when it's time for her to work.

Comment

Where you located? I have a jagd that I'm working with to blood track retrieve and is a pet... remember 50% is training... maybe more than that when it comes to being in the house. Holler if you want to meet her

Also the parents of my jagd have a Litter in the ground now that will be ready like thanksgiving or just after... not sure how many left... pm and I'll get you info

The guy who wrote the bible for blood tracking is a HUGE proponent of blood Teckle/daschund. They work a little slower than a jagd... so leashing is easier.

Of the ones you named I personally would go
            1. jagd
            2. Rhodesian ( underated dog, used originally as big game dog, including lions)
            3.)Teckle
            4.) JRT

Be VERY CAREFUL when picking breeders, you want HUNTING lines... super careful with jrt and teckle

Comment

[Double post

Comment

Originally posted by ROCKET View Post
                I have a jagd ( my first ) and she is a 20# hunting machine, she has zero fear and does not get along with other dogs well, however she is great with people and kids and has a TON of energy. I keep mine pinned outside while we are at work as I'm afraid she'll eat my wife's lap dog [emoji16]. The breed is just crazy, the dog will climb a tree after a squirrel , track a deer, ride all day on the mule, go fishing with me, obedient , but then a light switch goes off when it's time for her to work.

Mine is not so good fishing... LOVES the water and will try to fetch your bait when it hits the water.

Forgot to mention, mine lives with another dog and 2 cats... ppl say they will kill cats, if a stray showed up yeah I bet she would.... but HER cats. She tries to lick them to death. The cats don't really appreciate it though lol

Comment

I blood trail with my lab. He's dual purpose duck/blood trailing. I don't track for people, just for personal use, and I've never lost an animal with him out of about 30-35 tracks. Great multi-purpose family dogs. Gets along with everybody and let's my 2 year old crawl all over him.

Comment

Hard to beat a plain old wiener dog plus they're easy to keep up with, some of the in-laws put his to work tracking after his other dogs were out of commission after a porcupine run-in. He's already found four this season.

Comment

I am not sure that the Rhodesian will be a good fit for blood trailing. They are mostly sight hounds and I did not have much luck with mine, when I tried to train him when he was little. If I had stuck with it, I might have had greater luck, but he just did not seem to be very interested in using his nose. He was all about covering lots of ground and looking for the hidden treat, however.

They make great, affectionate, handsome, pets and are very loyal.

I have considered getting a lacy, black mouth cur, or vizla to try to train for blood trailing.

Comment

Beagles fit your needs also.

Comment

Depends if you want your dog to catch wounded deer or not. Small dogs can't catch and hold anything.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                            Depends if you want your dog to catch wounded deer or not. Small dogs can't catch and hold anything.
                            ... sweeping generation... some jagds catch pigs not just bay. But deer are tall, would be hard. Depends on how gympy the deer was lol

Comment

A smaller dog will be easier to keep up with and will put a little less pressure on the deer allowing the deer time to lay down. I have a JRT, my preference.

I hate to say this, but a Labrador is probably the best. Dachshunds, Beagles, any of the terrier breeds, Lacys. I would assume Bloodhounds, GS.

Comment

Working...
                              X