Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 10-03-2018, 09:12 PM   #1
kdunn
Nubbin' Buck

Default Maxim 50

I just bought a SilencerCo Maxim 50. They went on sale for $450 last week and I couldn't pass it up. This is my first muzzleloader so the only experience I have with them is research online.

Going to be buying some powder and bullets this coming week and was wondering if anyone else that has a Maxim 50 can point me to a good load they have had success with in the accuracy department out of this gun!

Thanks in advance!
kdunn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2018, 12:08 PM   #2
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NYS, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

Hmmmm. I have 3 Muzzleloaders and for $450. I might buy another one.
I can tell you will want to use 777 powder. It is much much cleaner than pyrodex and it enables you to see after the shot. But that might be a non issue with the can.
Smoke poles are typically subsonic. So I would use whatever load you were using prior to having one with a can.
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2018, 08:11 AM   #3
chrisk
Ten Point

I haven’t used the black horn 209 powder but know several people that use it and been with them while they were using it. The black horn powder is a lot cleaner than just about any powder I have seen used. That could be why they suggested using this powder.
chrisk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2018, 10:40 PM   #4
kdunn
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Pic View Post
Hmmmm. I have 3 Muzzleloaders and for $450. I might buy another one.

I can tell you will want to use 777 powder. It is much much cleaner than pyrodex and it enables you to see after the shot. But that might be a non issue with the can.

Smoke poles are typically subsonic. So I would use whatever load you were using prior to having one with a can.

Iíve never used a muzzleloader before so this will be a first for me. Iím thinking Iíll try the 777 you suggested, the 209 SiCo suggests, and the White Hot pellets and see which performs the best.

What kind of an optic do you suggest for a muzzleloader for deer hunting?

What kind of accuracy and at what distance should I be looking for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kdunn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 06:45 AM   #5
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NYS, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

Todays modern ML are capable of 200 yd accuracy. There should be some paperwork with the Maxim to suggest starting loads. The 777 pellets are what i use. They come in 50 gr pellets. I shoot 295gr powerbelt bullets with two 50 gr pills and i am within 2-3" accuracy at 100 yds. With granular powder you can fine tune loads. If you so feel inclined, i am sure your Maxim will handle magnum loads of 150 grs of powder. I think its too much for 100 yds. But if your shots are greater than 100, then by all means practice with the magnum charge.
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top