English Mastiff and child w autisum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

English Mastiff and child w autisum

Someone has offered to give our family and English Mastiff (10weeks old). We are raising a sever autism grandchild (non-verbal/sensory issues/sleep). And I have some questions
    1) Are Mastiff good family dog?
    2) Are they easy to train?
    3) Special concerns for that breed?
    4) Good Service Dogs?
    6)Know of a good Service Dog trainer?
    7) Other questions I just don't know to ask

Thanks in advance to everyone...

I just lost my 12 year old mastiff end of last year. Best dog in the world. They refer to them as "gentle giants" and that they are. He was a big ole lazy lap dog that did not require much energy or exercise. Eat, sleep, poop, repeat. Mine was super easy to train, he could learn tricks in just a few times of trying. I know a few different families that have them and are great with their babies and even small dogs as long as they're socialized from a young age with them. Only big health issue with them (because of their size) is joint and hip issues. I was lucky mine didn't have trouble until his last couple of days. I have nothing but good things to say about them! Cept their food bill. They eat a lot. Oh and also the size of their bowel movements.

Comment

We have one and my wife loves her. Her name is Beatrice and she's about 10months old. Bea and I don't jive. She loves my wife but she is weird as heck with me. Just avoids me at all cost. I've never spanked her or really even yelled at her. She just loves my wife and few others.

Bea craps like it's her job. Massive dogs crap massive piles. Be prepared for that.

Bea is super-chill. She like to lay around and do nothing.

Bea gets tired of doing nothing and will demolish the pool furniture cushions before you can blink.

Bea craps a lot.

Bea was super easy to house break and kennel train.

Bea ate half her kennel in the process.

Bea craps a lot.

Bea will be a super easy target for a .22lr.

Bea will be missed.

***Full disclosure: I probably won't kill Bea because Jennifer loves her and I love Jennifer....probably.

Comment

Yea they are fantastic family dogs . My female is 8 years old now . Before we had kids my wife took the dog every where . Every loyal and well behaved. All my mastiffs has been great with my kids . Here are a few pics

Max our male the passed away

Trey ,max,Mesa

Mesa the step stool
        Max again
        and our neo female

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

An English Mastiff would be an excellent choice. We have a 1.5 year old male that is fantastic with my 4 and 6 year old daughters. Very gentle, loving, and protective (without any aggression). Would make a great service dog for you grandson. My wife is a special education teacher that works with numerous autistic children... if you would like to visit with her about the mastiff or anything else, send me your phone number and I will have her give you a call.

Comment

They will lick you to death, they need constant love
            Excellent dogs!!!!!!

Comment

My wife is director of autism for a center and we have been looking for a dog for her to take to work for this purpose. Lab and mastiff are the two breeds we bring up the most. We are probably going with a lab, but I dont think either is a bad choice for a service dog of this nature.
              Weve lived with 3 mastiffs for a while my wife just hated getting their drool on her nice clothes lol

Comment

I have had 4 English and have an Italian mastiff now.

Italian is good

English are amazing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                  We have one and my wife loves her. Her name is Beatrice and she's about 10months old. Bea and I don't jive. She loves my wife but she is weird as heck with me. Just avoids me at all cost. I've never spanked her or really even yelled at her. She just loves my wife and few others.

Bea craps like it's her job. Massive dogs crap massive piles. Be prepared for that.

Bea is super-chill. She like to lay around and do nothing.

Bea gets tired of doing nothing and will demolish the pool furniture cushions before you can blink.

Bea craps a lot.

Bea was super easy to house break and kennel train.

Bea ate half her kennel in the process.

Bea craps a lot.

Bea will be a super easy target for a .22lr.

Bea will be missed.

***Full disclosure: I probably won't kill Bea because Jennifer loves her and I love Jennifer....probably.

All this about Bea is true, but she is a good dog.

Bea like me, my wife and kids

The common denominator that messes up this equation is Curt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X