Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-06-2016, 08:59 AM   #1
lwelch70
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County
Default Ski Denver, CO advise wanted

So the wife and I grabbed some cheap plane tickets for middle of December and are wanting to plan a ski trip near Denver.

We're looking at Winter Park but I wanted to see what suggestions you guys had. Should we buy lift tickets now or later (those things are expensive!), where should we stay (lodge or rent a house, there is a chance 2 other couples will be coming with us).

Really just any and all advise you could give.

We appreciate it.
lwelch70 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2016, 09:04 AM   #2
tgil
Pope & Young

Breckenridge would get my vote! Been several years but we just got our lift tickets once we got there. Maybe VRBO for your lodging?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
tgil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2016, 09:08 AM   #3
muley4x4
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Rockies, West Texas, Panhandle

Breckenridge or Keystone would get my vote. We've skied Vail but it can get pricy and lodging is a premium. I would look at the housing option and see if you can find one close to where you will be skiing. Then decide if you want to stay close to the slopes and eating establishments. My vote would be for the lodging that keeps you closer to where you will be spending most of your time.
muley4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2016, 09:18 AM   #4
chadt1234
Four Point

From what I have seen, lift ticket discounts are few and far between. Usually you have to buy them in the middle of summer for a discount. We ski Steamboat every spring and if you buy a couple of week before you get like a 10% discount. Some places will do lodging and lift ticket packages if you buy both. It will just take some research. We like Steamboat because it has a lot of blue runs and enough blacks for a challenge. Take into account the level of the skiers going. If you have several beginners, you don't want to go somewhere that has a limited number of green runs.
chadt1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2016, 09:31 AM   #5
gonzaleziam
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hidalgo County

Breck or keystone. Great places!!!!
gonzaleziam is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2016, 09:47 AM   #6
mzurovec
Ten Point

Hunt In: Blanco, Burnet

My wife and I went last year about the same time with another couple. We went to Breckinridge and had a blast! We used VRBO. Another option is to look for a steeply discounted room at a resort, with the condition that you have to sit through a two hour timeshare presentation. We got 50% off our lodging one year just to go tell a guy "no."
mzurovec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2016, 09:53 AM   #7
quarterback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Back when we used to ski a lot, you could stay somewhere like Frisco and get lift tickets that were good for several of the local ski resorts (Keystone, Copper Mtn, Breckenridge, Vail, Beaver Creek, Arapaho Basin). Ski the Summit or something like that (Summit County). Winter Park is nice too but a lot of people from Denver ride the train there so it can get crowded depending on when you go.
quarterback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2016, 10:35 AM   #8
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Any of the above mentioned. Stay in Breckenridge and ski several mountains. Here is the info on the mountains and lift tickets.

http://www.snow.com/epic-pass/passes...alue-pass.aspx
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2016, 10:48 AM   #9
Preacher Man
Eight Point

Hunt In: Jasper & Sutton Co.

Love Breck and Keystone, but the higher elevations had me gasping for air, not on the mountain, but at night when trying to sleep. Didn't have that problem at Winterpark. The last time we went to winterpark we rented a house in Fraser. Was. Jesper than staying in winterpark and was only a couple miles down the road.
Preacher Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2016, 10:48 AM   #10
Preacher Man
Eight Point

Hunt In: Jasper & Sutton Co.

"Cheaper"
Preacher Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2016, 10:51 AM   #11
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Breck and Keystone.

Right now for 609.00 you can buy an Epic Pass for Summit Country. That's a season pass. It cost me 500.00 for a 3 day pass last year.

I bought the Summit County pass and plan to ride 10 days this year.
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2016, 10:57 AM   #12
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

Steamboat had some of the best powder that I have seen.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2016, 10:57 AM   #13
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Yes but it is a long way from Denver.

Champagne Powder of Steamboat.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:58 AM   #14
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Copper is good as well.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:59 AM   #15
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post

I believe it was about an hour farther, but I thought it was well worth it.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:59 AM   #16
Matthew
Ten Point

Quote:
Copper is good as well.
x2

Less crowded than the others in Summit County.
Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2016, 11:06 AM   #17
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterback View Post
Back when we used to ski a lot, you could stay somewhere like Frisco and get lift tickets that were good for several of the local ski resorts (Keystone, Copper Mtn, Breckenridge, Vail, Beaver Creek, Arapaho Basin). Ski the Summit or something like that (Summit County). Winter Park is nice too but a lot of people from Denver ride the train there so it can get crowded depending on when you go.
X2
Frisco is a great little town just 15 minutes from Breck. Its got everything you may need from grocery stores to eateries and sporting goods stores. Plus you dont have to deal with the touristy side of Breckenridge when you are not actually skiing. We went to Breck this summer and it was PACKED. Awesome experience but im sure it gets even more packed during winter months.
bloodstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2016, 11:18 AM   #18
Raider Power
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I get invited

Quote:

Another vote for Steamboat, its my new favorite ski destination in Colorado. Its a great ski resort and the town itself is pretty sweet as well. But yeah I really underestimated that drive from Denver.
Raider Power is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2016, 11:27 AM   #19
Mouse
Eight Point

Hunt In: Caddo/Big Lake/Datil NM

We like to stay in Leadville and you can ski all the I70 slopes.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2016, 11:33 AM   #20
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

If you're going to Denver and want to stay close, Loveland is just north of there, closer than breckenridge. My personal choice is breck over anywhere else in CO. I would look up online all the places you can go, there are tons. Thing with breck is it and steamboat will be your most expensive places
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2016, 11:34 AM   #21
chadt1234
Four Point

We drive from Houston to Steamboat every year. It's only about an hour farther depending on what your comparing it to. We love the town. It's more of a country town with a ski resort than the other way around. We go the mountain pass from winter park this year. It gives us 6 days at Steamboat included and the kids ski free. Steamboat's lift ticket people steered me to it.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:36 AM   #22
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass TX & MO.

If budget/value is #1, look at Durango. Great town, good food, good people, good options. Deals on flights and lift tickets are tough to beat.

I've skied and boarded every resort in Colo. starting in the 80's. We lived in Grand Junction and Denver for a few years.

Wolf Creek, Telly, and Breck are the top 3 (that order) in Colo if you're advanced to intermediate and want the best. They also take the longest to get to on a budget.
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2016, 11:38 AM   #23
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass TX & MO.

If you like the park, Breck's is better.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:47 PM   #24
chadt1234
Four Point

I just got an email from Steamboat.com about 25% lifts and lodging thru 10/14. FYI
Old 10-06-2016, 12:50 PM   #25
nimrod
Ten Point

Hunt In: None

We will be in telluride week before. Christmas. ..Breckinridge was fun when we went there
nimrod is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2016, 01:31 PM   #26
HoustonHunter94
Ten Point

I'm headed to Vail in January. Tickets from SA to Denver were dirt cheap and with my SWA points I got two round trip, non-stop flights for free. Found a nice condo on AirBnB for $1800 for 5 days. Split that between me and my wife and another couple. So far I am just out $900 for a place to stay. Will be spitting rental car as well. I am sure the lift tickets are doing to be expensive. We'll probably hit up Ski Cooper a day or two. I liked Winter Park the few times I have been there.
HoustonHunter94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2016, 01:34 PM   #27
lwelch70
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
I'm headed to Vail in January. Tickets from SA to Denver were dirt cheap and with my SWA points I got two round trip, non-stop flights for free. Found a nice condo on AirBnB for $1800 for 5 days. Split that between me and my wife and another couple. So far I am just out $900 for a place to stay. Will be spitting rental car as well. I am sure the lift tickets are doing to be expensive. We'll probably hit up Ski Cooper a day or two. I liked Winter Park the few times I have been there.
Yeah we grabbed tickets during the 3 day sale with points so we're saving there - we're also in Houston.

Did you stay in the Winter Park lodges when you went? Or rent a house out of town?
Old 10-06-2016, 01:37 PM   #28
BrandNew22
Four Point

Hunt In: Newton County

Steamboat,Breckenridge, Winter Park all good choices
BrandNew22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2016, 01:39 PM   #29
jacobp
Four Point

Hunt In: Webb and Duval County

I like to stay in Breck, it is about 15 minutes from Keystone if you want to ski both mountains. Breck has a nice main street with good food and drink along it, and lift tickets will work at both mountains. You don't really save any money buying lift tickets early but they will mail you a plastic card to your home and it eliminates a task that you would have to do when you get into town.

AMR Ski Rentals in Breck has a 25% discount on gear if your prepay 14 days in advance, they are located close to the gondola.
jacobp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2016, 01:41 PM   #30
3DW5
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon Co, Jim Hogg and Starr Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzaleziam View Post
Breck or keystone. Great places!!!!
X2...
3DW5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2016, 02:11 PM   #31
lwelch70
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterback View Post
I think the first day the train runs is January 7th. We're looking to go middle of December so hopefully it wouldn't be too crazy packed.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:31 PM   #32
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Are you an advanced skier or boarder? Or prefer to hit a few runs before hitting the pub?
Old 10-06-2016, 03:41 PM   #33
lwelch70
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerscowboy View Post
Are you an advanced skier or boarder? Or prefer to hit a few runs before hitting the pub?
Definitely not advanced. Only skiied once but caught on quick enough and went down a couple blues after a day of greens.

Going to try my hand at boarding this time so beginner level - but I'm a throw em in the creek to learn how to swim type of guy...
Old 10-06-2016, 03:51 PM   #34
chadt1234
Four Point

I would not really recommend Steamboat for a true beginner at something. There are only a handful of open greens. The greens are mostly trails.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:55 PM   #35
lwelch70
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadt1234 View Post
I would not really recommend Steamboat for a true beginner at something. There are only a handful of open greens. The greens are mostly trails.
Thanks for the heads up.

The more we look at it, I think we're going to do Winter Park. Breck is a little more proud of their lift tickets and lodging. And the fact that the train won't be running when we're there has me hopeful WP won't be packed yet.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:09 PM   #36
CBHunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Webb County

No love for Arapahoe Basin? Close to Breck, Keystone, etc. It's a good place to go if you want to avoid crowds. It's smaller, but has some good slopes.
CBHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2016, 04:11 PM   #37
staplehawk
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mullen, Lockhart, Hays and Circle Dug

Like most said here Breck is good, Keystone is the best around IMO. I buy the Epic Pass every year and spend most of my time at Key. It's got great runs, usually great powder, great town (Soup n Whiskey) and of course the night runs. We usually have a group and rent a home with HomeAway or some similar service. If you are going budget, Dillon is a short drive and lots of cheap places. No slope beats Wolf Creek though. Abasin is definitely a fun place too.
staplehawk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2016, 06:07 PM   #38
Masmak
Six Point

Hunt In: Need a place!!

Went to Copper a few years ago, found place via VRBO. Owners hooked us up with coupons for lift tickets. Make sure to ask
Masmak is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2016, 06:43 PM   #39
Robertt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Atascosa County, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by muley4x4 View Post
Breckenridge or Keystone would get my vote. We've skied Vail but it can get pricy and lodging is a premium. I would look at the housing option and see if you can find one close to where you will be skiing. Then decide if you want to stay close to the slopes and eating establishments. My vote would be for the lodging that keeps you closer to where you will be spending most of your time.
X2. Beautiful place. Get your lift tickets after you get there. We rented a condo but had to also rent a car.
Robertt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2016, 06:44 PM   #40
tgil
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwelch70 View Post
Going to try my hand at boarding this time so beginner level - but I'm a throw em in the creek to learn how to swim type of guy...
If you decide to do Breck instead, let me know. My nephew is a board instructor there. He will be in the know on all there is to know.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
tgil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2016, 06:45 PM   #41
lwelch70
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertt View Post
X2. Beautiful place. Get your lift tickets after you get there. We rented a condo but had to also rent a car.
So are the "discounts" for buying loft tickets online just a selling ploy?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old 10-06-2016, 08:39 PM   #42
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwelch70 View Post
Definitely not advanced. Only skiied once but caught on quick enough and went down a couple blues after a day of greens.

Got it.

Bottom Line: I've got a Burton Custom Board set-up with Burton Custom Bindings and Boots in 11 1/2 if you have interest. Boots run tight. I'm a 12 and used to wear them with lycra socks only. The whole set-up is yours for $100 if you have interest. Burton Custom Board, Custom Bindings, and Boots.

In short...I lifted my nose at boarders for 25 years until my right leg went into unintended propeller motion. Corrected my knee, surgery, took time off , and grabbed a board in '03. I LOVE IT!!! Ski whenever I need to assist my nephews or son. Otherwise, grab some air.

Mom was a 1st Olympic alternate in slalom. Broke her femur a few days before the flights to the games. I'm not bragg'in on me in any way, just my Mom. She's now 70 and still absolutely flies. It's all fundamentals. Just like a golf swing.

The difference is a bad fall vs your age.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:40 PM   #43
lwelch70
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerscowboy View Post
Got it.

Bottom Line: I've got a Burton Custom Board set-up with Burton Custom Bindings and Boots in 11 1/2 if you have interest. Boots run tight. I'm a 12 and used to wear them with lycra socks only. The whole set-up is yours for $100 if you have interest. Burton Custom Board, Custom Bindings, and Boots.

In short...I lifted my nose at boarders for 25 years until my right leg went into unintended propeller motion. Corrected my knee, surgery, took time off , and grabbed a board in '03. I LOVE IT!!! Ski whenever I need to assist my nephews or son. Otherwise, grab some air.

Mom was a 1st Olympic alternate in slalom. Broke her femur a few days before the flights to the games. I'm not bragg'in on me in any way, just my Mom. She's now 70 and still absolutely flies. It's all fundamentals. Just like a golf swing.

The difference is a bad fall vs your age.
PM sent

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old 10-06-2016, 09:04 PM   #44
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

All PMs returned.

NO, I "am not/was not" sponsored by Burton. They do have high quality equipment for boarders, but they do not provide me with any materials.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:24 PM   #45
Brute Killer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pleasanton

I've never been skiing. My wife has and wants to ho back. Post story and pics of your trip.
Brute Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2016, 09:29 PM   #46
Smell the Glove
Ten Point

Default Ski Denver, CO advise wanted

Breck is so convenient.
Smell the Glove is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2016, 09:29 PM   #47
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute Killer View Post
I've never been skiing. My wife has and wants to ho back. Post story and pics of your trip.
My first trip was in 02. I haven't missed at least 3 days of skiing a year since.
We love it.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:37 PM   #48
MLank
Eight Point

http://skiloveland.com/4-pak/

For a great value, look into Loveland ski area. You can buy a 4 Pak for about $35 a day. If u only want to to do two days here, u take two passes, and give your wife two. Other days you could hit the other resorts.

When we did this, we stayed in an old house in the town of Silverton. Not much to the town, but it was a cool spot. Had some restaurants within walking distance; it was only a few miles from lifts; and you could always buy groceries, beer, etc at store before hand.

So my suggestion: Loveland ski area, Silverton air bnb or vrbo.
MLank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2016, 09:39 PM   #49
MLank
Eight Point

I'll add.... We did Loveland bc we already had experiences in places like keystone and breck, which as mentioned are very convenient and nice places to be.
MLank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2016, 09:42 PM   #50
Brute Killer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pleasanton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi513 View Post
My first trip was in 02. I haven't missed at least 3 days of skiing a year since.
We love it.
My sister took her sons when they were mere tots.
Said they took to it like a duck to water
Brute Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top