wireless network help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wireless network help!

From my home router to my workshop is 120'. Can anyone tell me what I need, so that I can have internet signal in my shop, that is useable.
    I have a signal now but one bar and I can't even get text messages or phone calls.
    Please help.

Thank you !

Oh forgot to tell you I have rise broadband. Out of the city limits and it's not lightening fast.

Comment

^

Comment

Just run it hardwire from your house to your shop. 120' isn't very long.
        Last edited by Sleepy; 06-15-2017, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Our team of experts has selected the best Wi-Fi Extenders out of hundreds of models. Don't buy a Wi-Fi Extender before reading these reviews.

Comment

Is your shop attached or detached?

What router do you currently have?

Comment

I used one of these for about the same distance, worked great.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                Is your shop attached or detached?

What router do you currently have?
                detached shop
                Linksys Cisco EA3500

Comment

Thanks !
                  I got this one Linksys AC1200 MAX Wi-Fi Gigabit Range Extender / Repeater (RE6500) we'll see what happens...says it will extend up to 10,000 sq. ft.

Comment

Originally posted by sec View Post
                    Thanks !
                    I got this one Linksys AC1200 MAX Wi-Fi Gigabit Range Extender / Repeater (RE6500) we'll see what happens...says it will extend up to 10,000 sq. ft.
                    If your shop is 120', you came up 20' short . I would use a Ubiquiti radio, into good router, and bring your full strength service into the shop wirelessly. Working on the outer edges of an extender, can be frustrating.
                    Let us know how the extender works.

Comment

Thanks !
                      Let's us know the results.

Comment

Thanks !
                        If connected wirelessly to your router, then the speed will only by 1/2 of that at the main router for your internet/intranet. For instance if your ISP provides 25 Mbps to the first router, then your extender will only broadcast the internet at 12.5 Mbps. So while the signal to your WiFi devices would be better, the speed to the devices may not be enough. To get around this you need to run a cat5e cable to wherever you will put the new hardware and use it in Access Point mode instead of Extender mode. Also make sure your main wifi router is broadcasting in the 2.4ghz frequency because the alternate 5ghz frequency that most new routers broadcast does not have great range.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                          Let's us know the results.
                          I will let you know, suppose to be in Jun 20th.
                          As for the distance, I am placing it on the opposite side of my house from my existing router, which means it will be 30' from the router and 90 'feet from my center of my shop. HOPEFULLY that will be close enough. If not I guess I'll get a better router or maybe another extender( if that's something you can do), as you can tell I'm not sure how all this works.

Comment

From my home router to my workshop is 120'. Can anyone tell me what I need, so that I can have internet signal in my shop, that is useable.
                            I have a signal now but one bar and I can't even get text messages or phone calls.
                            Please help.

Thank you !
                            easiest to reduce latency and drop outs run 120' CAT5e cable to a router/hub then you should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by PROD49 View Post
                              easiest to reduce latency and drop outs run 120' CAT5e cable to a router/hub then you should be fine.
                              Agreed.

If you end up having to install a cable be sure to use outdoor rated cable and put lighting protection of both ends.

If you decide to go this route send me a PM and I'll find some part numbers for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X