Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wind is wrong for hunting your stand. What do you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wind is wrong for hunting your stand. What do you do?

Here's the scenario. My stands are set up for a south wind. This is mostly because 90% of the time we have southerly winds here. But this morning the wind was from the north. I stayed home and didn't hunt. Seems like it's happened to me quite a few times already. What do you do in this case?

I don't hunt. It is not worth messing up a location for a hunt. Others might disagree. They will be easy to find those, they are the ones that make post stating " I don't understand, When I am not there I have lots of deer, but when I am there they never show up"....It does not take much to teach a deer to check for a hunter before coming in.

-john

Comment

make a future stand location for the changing winds, but yes not hunting is always better than wising them to your location! Good Job!

Comment

I go out and build a stand/blind for a North wind...
        Last edited by SwampRabbit; 11-07-2014, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Wind direction, moon phase, barometric pressure...all are things out of my control. My time in the field is probably the hardest thing for me to control, so when I get time I hunt no matter the conditions. Staying home to hunt is the only way to be sure you won't get a deer. That said, I understand the less than exciting feeling of walking to the stand with all the wrong conditions. Pessimism is a good descriptor in that case. Bring a book and enjoy the time outdoors.

Comment

Pop up? Sit in a bush? Lease is 6 hours away, so I go when I can. I also have multiple set ups for different winds.

Comment

I don't hunt bad winds but I have setups for just about every wind to keep from having to sit home.

Comment

LonghornTX I bet your neighbors appreciate it also

Comment

Hunt it. What the heck. I've had deer come from all different directions. I hunt high and as scent free as I can get. I usually have good luck. But that is me and my set-ups. I also have several different stand set-ups to choose from for different wind directions also.

Comment

Be very scent free and use lots of cover scent? In the Hill Country deer come from all directions.

Comment

multiple wind setups is the answer to your question, or don't hunt

Comment

I don't give a hoot what direction the wind is blowing - If I have the time to hunt I am going to hunt - To this day I have never taken into consideration the direction of the wind into where I was going to sit
                        Last edited by Codie; 11-07-2014, 10:59 AM.

Comment

I try to have setups for 2 wind directions at my best spots. Like ground blind for one wind and ladder for other. Taking two quad pods and a hang on stand down to mason right now. Trying to setup for changing winds. I had ground blinds at 3 spots for different winds but the steers decided to destroy them!

Comment

Just hunt. You never know when a deer will walk out or where he will come from. You're not going to kill a deer sitting on the couch.

Comment

I will hunt those stands anyway....

North wind could bring a cold front and deer like that kind of weather, some people say that deer seek for cover during high winds but in my own experience this is not totally true, I´ve seen deer in almost any kind of weather...heavy rains, high winds and sometimes during mid day when it´s really hot not just when the temperature is down or in cool or cold days.

What I can tell is that yes, there´s a very noticeable difference in their behavior...they are more alert and nervous in high winds since they loose one of their main senses their hearing so you will see ém performing a continuos feeding and peeking mode, they take a bite and look around and do this again and again... hope this helps in making your decision brother.

Good hunting

Comment

Working...
                              X