Drawn Hunt tactics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drawn Hunt tactics

I am going on a drawn hunt later in the month that allows baiting. I am wondering what kind of baiting tactic works in this short period of time?

What kind of scouting do you guys do on a 3/4 day hunt?

Assuming 3/4 hunt means 3-4 days?

Baiting I’d just use corn if allowed or maybe alfalfa and if I wanted to get fancy some chafaye.

As far as scouting, I’ve only been drawn for one hunt. I got in contact with the biologists and gathered info from them, e-scouted til I couldn’t see straight, searched for wildlife study articles/reports on the park/wma, and then finally I spent 2 full weekends boots on the ground scouting. It paid off big time for the hunt I was on but no baiting was allowed and the hunt area was vast.

This is how I approach any new property or place I hunt. At minimum all the above minus boots on the ground.
    Last edited by diamond10x; 11-30-2020, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Depends where you are going.

Comment

In my limited experience, I gained access to topo maps and studied them. Found drainages, draws or other potential travel corridors. Once on the hunt, be willing to throw that first half day out and focus on scouting and setting up stands. Set game cameras out on your bait. Be fluid and move around to find the best spot.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Corn is always the good ol' standby. What area you draw for ??

Comment

Tactic absolutely depends on the area you are drawn for. The same tactic wont really work for Devils River as it does for South Llano.....

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
              Tactic absolutely depends on the area you are drawn for. The same tactic wont really work for Devils River as it does for South Llano.....
              Very true. When I hunted Garner State Park, it was tough hunting and fellow hunters would say the axis deer would see the alfalfa cubes then high tail it out of there. When I hunted Mason Mountain and Guadalupe St Park they would come running to the corn piles I would put out. Just make sure you have a clear shooting lane to your pile. A mistake I made at Mason Mountain my first day.

Comment

Baiting on a 3/4 day hunt won’t get you the same results as hunting a feeder that has thrown corn like clockwork twice a day for the previous 3+ months.

Be where the deer want to be. A pile of corn likely won’t make deer stray from their daily movement routines on a short hunt.
                Last edited by 30-30; 11-30-2020, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Can’t say much because I haven’t had much success on the two drawn hunts I’ve been on. The one I did where we were allowed to bait, I kind of just threw a corn pile out in an area that was convenient to me. Looking back, I should’ve moved it about 100 yards into the woods where I saw a ton of deer trails on the last day. Just so happened to walk past them as I was prodding around. Spend the first day scouting your butt off, find the most sign, then set up so you can hunt it. I’d actually avoid a corn pile and instead broadcast corn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I just had a drawn hunt at Pat Mayse. Definitely listen to the biologist, and spend the better part of the first day scouting. Walk the unit or compartment until you find the best sign. Look at topo maps for possible travel routes. Don’t feel as though you have to be 30 foot up in a tree, or even in a tree for that matter. I shot a coyote from the ground, and shot at a doe 4 ft up in my tree. If you’re using a rifle, get to where you can see out 60-80 yards. I would not rely on the corn unless you’re really wanting to snag a hog

Comment

Ask the TPWD staffer(s) running they hunt. In most cases, they know stuff and will gladly contribute their knowledge toward your success.

And bring lots of corn.

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post
                        Ask the TPWD staffer(s) running they hunt. In most cases, they know stuff and will gladly contribute their knowledge toward your success.

And bring lots of corn.
                        thx

Comment

Well let us know where you are hunting some of us have hunted it. Is it a compartment or assigned blind or a free for all.

It's always good to bring your own popup to give yo the option of moving and having more room. I know lots of people love alfalfa but at my place in Comal county the only thing it's good for is armadillos. I have had good luck with Chaffhaye because it has that sweetness to it. Heck I have seen guys bring game blocks out too.

For Chaparral, a compartment, the first think I do is turn on my GPS and quietly drive around the boarder of my compartment so I know where my boundaries are and I drop a little corn. Then I look at the blinds and pick the one with the most sign and hand corn "Chicken Feed" style never making piles. Also I try to out out enough for the day so they don't eat all night and not come back the next day.

For Enchanted Rock or Guadalupe and assigned blind that you have to hunt within sight of. I hand corn my shooting lanes and then if I find a couple game trails leading in I will put a very light ant trail of corn to help bring them in.

I have never hunted a free for all or entire area hunt but there it's get a bike and ride like hell to get away from everyone and try not to get shot.

Comment

Usually just spread the corn wide in areas dear are likely to cross anyway. I gets them to slow down so you have a shot.

Comment

In my experience, I have seen more and more deer each hunt as they figured out where the corn was. On a 4 day hunt, I saw a ton of deer on the 3rd evening and all of the 4th day. If that makes sense!

Comment

Working...
                              X