2017 Ram engine shut off at a VERY bad time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2017 Ram engine shut off at a VERY bad time

So after driving 2 days, we were almost to our final destination for our family vacation when suddenly, without warning, the engine of our 2017 Ram shut off! One side of me is relieved that it happened while I was driving and not while my wife was driving because we were in the mountains!

I quickly hit the hazard lights and was able to coast on to the side of the road. When the engine shut off, the dash display went black and the transmission shifted itself into neutral. Once we came to a stop I tried to restart the engine but nothing happened. I had to shift the truck into park, turn the ignition off, and when I tried starting it again. It cranked up and drove another 150 miles with no problems.

So has anyone else had this problem? After this storm passes I’m taking it to a local dealer, if for nothing else so they can put this into their system.

What engine? What model of Ram?

Comment

In

Comment

Originally posted by kry226 View Post
        What engine? What model of Ram?
        Hemi 1500 crew cab short bed 4X4.

I was all excited about the great gas mileage on this trip then this happened.

Comment

Had the same problem with my 2014 5.7 . Had to take it to the dealer and they re flashed the computer no problems since.

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
            So after driving 2 days, we were almost to our final destination for our family vacation when suddenly, without warning, the engine of our 2017 Ram shut off! One side of me is relieved that it happened while I was driving and not while my wife was driving because we were in the mountains!

I quickly hit the hazard lights and was able to coast on to the side of the road. When the engine shut off, the dash display went black and the transmission shifted itself into neutral. Once we came to a stop I tried to restart the engine but nothing happened. I had to shift the truck into park, turn the ignition off, and when I tried starting it again. It cranked up and drove another 150 miles with no problems.

So has anyone else had this problem? After this storm passes I’m taking it to a local dealer, if for nothing else so they can put this into their system.
            I have had that happen to me 3 times in the 5 years Ive owned my truck. It is caused by issues with the TPIM (electrical / fuse box). Its been an intermittent problem for Dodge for years.
            The other problem I have had is the dash lights wont shut off (randomly) and will drain the battery..... just something to be aware of.

Comment

Scary stuff.. glad you were in a place it didnt put you in more jeopardy.
              My F250 did something similiar when i hit 105mph once... let me know it didnt want to do 105mph.. and i probably had no business doing 105mph.. but it didnt leave me in a great place to be with no power to get out of the way.

and in my defense to the speeding....... I really wanted to get to where i was going faster.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                My F250 did something similiar when i hit 105mph once... let me know it didnt want to do 105mph.. and i probably had no business doing 105mph.. but it didnt leave me in a great place to be with no power to get out of the way.

and in my defense to the speeding....... I really wanted to get to where i was going faster.
                Surprised you could do that.
                I was trying to fly down a farm road to the vet when my dog got snake bit.
                Never would go over 100mph. Must be a governor in the electronics.

As far as the Ram, had something similar happened to my 5.9. Had to get the ECU re-flashed at the dealer.

Comment

91, just curious... where are you, and what elevation you at?

I wouldn’t make a wart on a mechanics but , A couple of yrs. ago, my 6.0 gave me some concern above 10,000 ft. In Colorado. It straightened out, I just wonder if altitude had something to do with fuel system.

Speaking of System,,, You are a nut. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji41]

Comment

I highly doubt this was a fuel system issue due to the gauge cluster blacking out. It is definitely an electronic issue of some sort. But we were at about 7k foot elevation when it happened.

Thanks to everyone else for letting me know about this. Many moons ago I had read that this was a pretty common occurrence on Jeep Grand Cherokees, but I had assumed they had fixed those issues. That’s what I get for assuming.

Comment

It is going to be in the electronics most likely. My Ford F150 did that back in May. I was doing 75 on a two lane highway and it just quit. I was able to get to the side of the road. I thank God it didn't happen the day before as I was attending a funeral in the Dallas are and if it would have quit while I was on the freeway I would have been run over for sure. It turned to be a bad fuel modulator sensor. In essence it shut down the engine as if I was out of gas.

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                        I highly doubt this was a fuel system issue due to the gauge cluster blacking out. It is definitely an electronic issue of some sort. But we were at about 7k foot elevation when it happened.

Thanks to everyone else for letting me know about this. Many moons ago I had read that this was a pretty common occurrence on Jeep Grand Cherokees, but I had assumed they had fixed those issues. That’s what I get for assuming.
                        How hard was the engine working? Were you going up a pass? Pulling anything? Full truck bed?

Heat can do strange things to electronics, especially if you are pulling up a pass.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post

If you get a tuner on it 105+ will no longer be a problem [emoji106]

Good to know about the 2017, my wife’s 2016 Ram Hemi has been flawless so far- but something to watch out for.
                          As far as the good mpgs go -
                          She sent me this pic of her lie-o-meter on her recent trip to Kansas-

Seeing that it said 24, I bet it was at least a solid 21.

And that wasn’t right after a fill up or gauge reset.
                          2wd with bed cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                            How hard was the engine working? Were you going up a pass? Pulling anything? Full truck bed?

Heat can do strange things to electronics, especially if you are pulling up a pass.

We were coasting at 55 mph when it happened. On this truck, it has a dash setting where you can monitor transmission temp, coolant temp, oil temp, and oil pressure in real time instead of an idiot gauge. I was watching this gauge when it happened. All temps were normal when it occurred. Ambient temp was 77 degrees at that time. It was loaded down but not bad enough to cause any suspension squat. We had 5 people in the cab and all of our luggage in the bed.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                              If you get a tuner on it 105+ will no longer be a problem [emoji106]

Good to know about the 2017, my wife’s 2016 Ram Hemi has been flawless so far- but something to watch out for.
                              As far as the good mpgs go -
                              She sent me this pic of her lie-o-meter on her recent trip to Kansas-

Seeing that it said 24, I bet it was at least a solid 21.

And that wasn’t right after a fill up or gauge reset.
                              2wd with bed cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a tuner.. and it is no longer a problem as far as anyone knows

Comment

Working...
                              X