Frige leaking ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frige leaking ideas?

Just bought a new house (first one!) and cleaned the fridge and top freezer compartment out last night. I figured nothings in it yet, so might as well turn it off. i had scraped out any ice to make sure it wasnt just goig to melt, etc. It does have an ice maker in the freezer compartment, but was empty.

Wife walks in this morning to continue cleaning and she said there's water leaking from rhe bottom of the fridge on the floor. I assumed maybe it was condensation runoff from cleaning, but she said it kept leaking after wiping it up. Asked her to turn it on, smelled a slight burning smell ( guessing water on the coils) and it stopped leaking.
    If it wouldnt have stopped leaking I'd have assumed too much water trying to drain from hidden spots it was frozen, but doesn't make sense. Unless it's water from the lines going to the ice maker?

On some models they’ll be more ice buildup than others. If it’s a Samsung there were certain models where ice would form behind the back panel of the refrigerator side near the fan and never completely thaw unless unplugged for a good duration or taken apart and the ice forcibly removed or melted with a hair dryer.

Comment

Could be ice thawing that was in the freezer drain line.

Comment

what model fridge? I have a GE French Door that the drain line clogged up with ice and began leaking condensate on the floor - I had to remove the bottom drawers in the fridge and take a heat gun and hammer to beat out the ice that had built up INSIDE THE FRIDGE. I removed the rear grille and cleaned out the coils, drain hoses, and put it all back together.
        it has been months and no more leaking on the floor.

Comment

most have a evap. pan for water to drain into. there will b a heating coil in it, to get rid of any water

Comment

another thought.....we had a 'fridge at work leak a lot of water due to a clogged water filter.

congrats on the new house!

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll take a look at it tonight after work, got some good ideas to go on now.

Comment

Working...
              X