Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A person's first vehicle. ( opinions wanted)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first vehicle was a hand me down, which was my grandparents 11 year old, 4 cylinder, Pontiac Grand am. Nothing special whatsoever, but I didn't care. Only thing I cared about was not riding the bus anymore. My dad paid for the insurance and stated the day I got a traffic ticket would be the day I would cut a check for the insurance. That kind scared me and made me a bit more conscientious about speeding, etc. Gas was on me. Didn't care though, first summer I was driving, gas was 80 cents a gallon!

No question, the kids in school who either played a significant role in purchasing a vehicle or were simply grateful for a cheap hand me down, took better care of their vehicle.

I worked part time the latter part of high school and through college. My second vehicle purchase was a used Chevy 1500, which I ended up paying about 70% and my dad helped with the other 30%. He felt although I needed to be working part time to learn responsibility, at the same time, I needed to focus on school and not be a slave to work.

With that said, at some of these richer school districts, it's crazy to see what some parents are willing to buy for their high school kid to drive.

Comment

Worked for it?

Comment

My dad made me a deal whatever money I came up with he would match it. I bought a 72 chevy truck wish I still had it. I didn't pay insurance but payed for my gas.

I worked with my dad every summer framing trimming painting almost anything to do with building houses.

I had a different vehicle every year of highschool and didn't take care of them at all. He probably should of made me pay for the whole vehicle gas and insurance. I might of taken better care of those vehicles.

Comment

Parents gave me an 84 Ford Ranger. They paid for gas/insurance as long as I played sports and kept my grades up. Dad thought it was more important for us to do UIL stuff over working since he could afford to support us. If we were not in sports we worked at his business for minimum wage, most likely in violation of some child labor laws. I was blessed to have the best of both worlds on that deal.

Comment

My dad gave me a budget and told me I could get whatever that would buy. I ended up with a Ford Ranger and then had to start paying him back for it.

Gas and Insurance was a different deal. If I got straight A's, they paid for insurance and $200 in gas/month. A's and B's, they paid insurance and I paid for gas. 1 C and I got to pay for it all.

Guess it was his way of encouraging better grades. I paid that dude off as fast as possible. Drove it until I got into a wreck coming back from elk hunting.

I think it was a great way to get a first car, learn about car payments (and how much they suck) and have some incentive to do well in school.

Comment

Hand me down 76 Chevy pickup was given to me. I had to pay for gas, Insurance, maintenance and repairs. I drove it for about 2 years and bought a new one because I got tired of working on it every weekend.

Comment

My grandparents bought my first truck in 1996. $1500, 1985 Toyota single cab 4x4 no a/c no nothing. It was transportation and exactly what I wanted. I could use it for fishing and hunting. I paid for most of my own gas and after 6 months I started paying for insurance. No regrets or resentment, taught me to work hard and appreciate the bald tires I had rather than sore feet from walking home from school and work.

Comment

I "took over" a 1963 Opel Kadess, in 1974, station wagon. No air, no heat, no nothing. Had to park it facing down hill so i could push start it most of the time. Total piece of junk, but at least it was wheels. I then got into a Plymouth Valiant, again w/ no air. I was glad to have them, but beat down by them at the same time.

I / we bought our kids their first rides. Both Nissan Frontier pickups w/ standard transmissions. I wanted both (boy and girl) to be able to handle a standard transmission. The stipulation was that their job was to do their best in school, and get as much college scholarship money as they could. AND, that it was a one time deal. Wreck it and you're on your own. They both lasted for several years. Our son totaled his in an ice related rollover. But he took his insurance and bought a replacement that he is still driving. The girl banged hers a few times, and is still driving it with some visible reminders to pay attention to her driving. I was satisfied with the arrangement. I didn't want them to have too much, but i didn't want them to be somewhat (or maybe a lot) embarrassed like i was. i also didn't want to have to worry if their ride would start on any given evening. I'd do it the same way again.

I don't understand parents buying kids first rides that are Porsches, Mustangs, Camaro's, etc. I get so depressed each year at this time reading about kids that are killed speeding in cars that are too much for them. But that's a diatribe for another day. Good luck with it all. Plenty to consider.

Comment

I worked my tail off to scrape up half, mom and dad fronted me the money for the other half. It was pretty durn hard for 16 yr old to make hundreds of dollars back in 1974. I loved that old Datsun pos.

Comment

I bought a Pee green 73 Chrysler station wagon for $50. I put some 50's on the back w/ Crager wheels. Installed an fm converter w/ the standard 6" dash speaker. Had the gas tank sitting behind the rear seat after an accident. Worked for $2 hr , 12 hrs a day, 6 days a week during the summer to keep that thing running. Picked everything from potatoes to pumpkins. Wished I still had it. The high school girls referred to it as the "Pickle"

Comment

I had to work to buy mine, all but the first six months of insurance, any repairs needed, and every drop of gas ever put in it. I don't resent it but I wish they would have helped a bit more. I have told my son that his job is school. If he is doing his job well, I will give him all the help I can.

Comment

I bought my first truck. A sweet '84 Ford Ranger(white with orange pinstripes) for $1,800. Parents paid insurance and gas.

Comment

I purchased my first vehicle, a 1967 Chevy C10 stepside. I was 15 (1994). Spent my own money, labor, and time fixing it to road worthy condition. Dad traded me his 1981 CJ7 for it in 1995). Think he did better on the trade, lol, but I was even happier with a convertible for the ladies). I paid for my own insurance, gas, and maintenance. My Dad did help with the repairs as a way to bond and teach me. To this day, I'm glad he did. Learned personal responsibility, how not to treat a vehicle, basic and semi advanced mechanics, and how to throw a wrench in frustration. My son turns 13 this year, and my current 10 year old Taco will be his when he turns 16 and gets his license. He already knows the deal. He will purchase it from me, he will have a job to pay for gas and scheduled maintenance. If his grades stay the way they are (straight A's), remains in Beta club and sports, I will help those items or insurance. I didn't have the grades, therefore I covered everything. I did have a very good paying job, and worked just under full time hours after school and on weekends. Better grades take time, so I can handle helping him out. He's already learned lessons that took me a lot longer to figure out. I may a little easier on him than my Dad was on me, but he is a more well rounded kid at the same age. I was better in sports, but he is much better in school which I am very thankful for. With him growing up as a military brat, he has shown a lot of resilience while attending 5 different schools from pre-k to 6th grade and maintaining his grades without any hiccups, to include his honors courses. I went to the same schools from K-8, and 9-12. In all, I'm a lucky Dad, but will make sure he learns the values and responsibilities of ownership and operating a vehicle.
                            Last edited by bluelund79; 04-03-2017, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                              I could have written the same thing, right down the Mustang GT. I was more appreciative for the trust my parent put into me and didn't want to disappoint. I can buy about anything I want today, but spending my own money on something doesn't mean near as much to me as someone trusting me with theirs. Just my experience.

I did have to pay for my own gas and maintenance.
                              Thats how I felt

My kids will get the same deal I did also.

Comment

My parents made me get a job, so I could pay my own payment and insurance.

Then they made me use a savings account they had for me to obtain a CD. Then I used the CD to use as collateral to obtain a loan instead of the vehicle. I basically built my credit at an early age, and made payments, all while earning interest on the CD.

They could have easily let me use the cash to buy, but this way taught me responsibility for my finances, and how to build credit. I respect them for the decision now, not so much when I was younger.

Comment

Working...
                                X