Seeding Wheat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeding Wheat

How many lbs (or seeds b/c seed size varies) per acre for food plot?

Everyone I've talked to and read says 90-100 lbs a acre, so I'm going to throw 200 lbs on my 2.25 acre plot and maybe throw one bag of oats in with it. They say 150-200 lbs of fertilizer a acre too, I think I'm going to throw some right after I throw my seed but I don't know about how much I want to just yet. After that I'm just going to drag with fence panels like you suggested and I'm thinking about doing this at the end of opening weekend. What do you think? Wheat seed at Dillard's in Weatherford is 9ish a bag.

Comment

I have the same question and will be following. If I want to mix wheat/oats what it recommended for each per acre?

Comment

Originally posted by Tbone3636 View Post
        Everyone I've talked to and read says 90-100 lbs a acre, so I'm going to throw 200 lbs on my 2.25 acre plot and maybe throw one bag of oats in with it. They say 150-200 lbs of fertilizer a acre too, I think I'm going to throw some right after I throw my seed but I don't know about how much I want to just yet. After that I'm just going to drag with fence panels like you suggested and I'm thinking about doing this at the end of opening weekend. What do you think? Wheat seed at Dillard's in Weatherford is 9ish a bag.

Be careful of over seeding. Sometimes mo is not betta

Comment

Do you think 90-100 lbs of wheat and maybe 22 lbs of oats an acre is over seeding?

Comment

Do you think 90-100 lbs of wheat and maybe 22 lbs of oats an acre is over seeding?

They way I always calculated it was both require about 100lbs per acre so I just mixed 50lbs of wheat and 50lbs of oats. If you want more of one vs the other adjust accordingly. We would also plant about 5lbs of purple top turnips in the mix.

Comment

... here is my advice...

IF you fertilize 200 lbs per acre (gold standard) you can DRILL 75 lbs per acre, some do a little less actually....

If you broadcast and fertilize... I would say 75 is bare minimum... remember to drag it too

If you broadcast and DONT fertilize... 100lbs per acre is minimum IMHO...

Comment

Rule of thumb is 50lb per acre. But we always overseed some. Some up top will get lost to birds, ants, etc. Some too deep will not germinate or be late to the party. Like above, 75-100 lbs per will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                  They way I always calculated it was both require about 100lbs per acre so I just mixed 50lbs of wheat and 50lbs of oats. If you want more of one vs the other adjust accordingly. We would also plant about 5lbs of purple top turnips in the mix.
                  So planting alone, both rate at 100 lbs/acre?

Comment

I usually do right at 100#s to the acre with a spreader.

Comment

Were doing dads plot this weekend. Some of the articles I found suggested 125 to 150 pbs per acre depending on seed size. I think we are going 100lbs seed 100lbs fertilizer/an acre and see what happens.

Comment

Nice I'm trying to decide to seed in a couple weeks and bring trailer up opening weekend or bring trailer up in a couple weeks and seed on opening weekend... I can't decide

Comment

I always try to be at or above 50# an acre, with oats or wheat. Turnips are the only seeds that I have ever over seeded. they grew so thick they choked out the oats and wheat.

Comment

Interesting formula That just happens to be the same ratio I discussed this AM with my protein/seed supplier today. A mix of wheat and oats with a topping of turnips. As he said for our area the oats are the ice cream, the wheat the sopa peas and the turnips the greens. He said use a rate of 100 lbs acre but don't plant to early. Try and time it after it begins to cool off so the seed doesn't burn and get it in the ground just before a rain.

Due to mositure last winter we held off planting oats/rye until after Thanksgiving. It took three weeks to rain (Christmas) and as soon as the moisture came the deer mowed it down till it burned up late spring.

Comment

Be careful of over seeding. Sometimes mo is not betta
                              It is if you are going to dove hunt over it.

Comment

Working...
                              X